Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #57

Only thing on a rear radiator is be careful if you are going on any gravel or rocky type roads. We have been told to place a screen under the radiator to prevent a rock from bouncing up and hitting it. We are going to Alaska this summer and I will put a screen on.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:33 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Tag vs. single

We i am back with some more stupid questions.We will be full timers been looking at a lot of m/h 40'--45' . I will be putting a lot of tool under coach and pull a toad,i was think in needed a tag for the weight,if we find a 42 or 45' that will have tag ,but we have found a lot of good deals in a 40' with single axel at a good price.Seeing out price is $125,00--$150,00.The tag adds price can buy a higher year lower miles in a single axel.Do i really need a tag?
2Th question .I have been reading on the forum about chassis inspections?What is this?How often ?Expense?
Being a first timer and buying this size coach has been a lot of research and traveling to look at m/h's.
Thanks again for your help.P.S. did sell the toyota highlander and Lexus and got a Jeep grand Cherokee,going to need it anyway.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 AM   #59

When I was looking for my last coach I wanted a 40-footer with a tag for weight carrying capacity and ride. I discovered most 40-footers don't have a tag. So, we ended up with a quad slide 2008 Beaver Contessa; great coach. I would recommend you consider a tag, there are deals out there. Also, I wanted a side radiator for better engine access.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:41 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
never a stupid question, not asking is the stupid part. from what i have read, (i have a single). the tag would be to your benefit, but with the tag, comes more tires $$. an from wht i have seen in post, some cg have lenth limit, but from what ya said abt amt of tools, size is needed.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 AM   #61

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You have to look at how much your stuff weighs. Tools are heavy! A tag has a higher weight carrying capacity, but they can also be overloaded. Storing tools in the basement storage might be tricky because you have to balance things so that the steer axle is not overloaded. This is generally the first to be overloaded.

A non-tag coach may have almost as much square footage storage area (tag takes up space as well, although coaches are longer with tags) but cannot carry as much weight.

You will most likely be better off with a tag as again, Tools Are Heavy! This is especially true since many tools do not take up a lot of space. Tools boxes go up with drawers. We tend to fill the available space with more stuff. Have I mentioned that Tools Are Heavy!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A tag axle adds weight, rolling resistance, decreased fuel economy, added tires and maintenance, & wider turn radius due to longer vehicle. I carry a couple hundred pounds of tools and keep them as far forward as possible for better a ride.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #63

The difference between driving a MH with a tag vs without is huge. I had a 97 Imperial 40WDs and in the wind it was a 40 ft sail. My 05 Panther glides down the road and I hardly notice the wind. Same with trucks going by, very little pushback. As for the turning radius, the tag can be lifted which shortens the wheelbase giving me a much better turning radius. I was able to make a u-turn across a two lane road with my toad hooked up. I also carry a lot of tools and the motorhome rides the same loaded as it does unloaded. You will be much happier with a tag.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You're on the right track. Typically the difference is the CCC, all else being equal. There are many threads over the years where after the purchase the new owner finds out they have an extremely small CCC. While I suppose that could happen with a tag axle rig, it's far less likely. There have been 40' owners reporting a CCC of less that 2k lbs! Want lots of CCC in a single rear axle rig, think shorter, like 36 - 38'. They probably use the same axle as the 40', but length also adds weight.

I insisted our dealer weigh our coach with full fuel and water before we took delivery. In our case (tag) we are just short of a 9k lb CCC. I suggest you do the same, weight before you pay.

Something much lower may be sufficient for most of us, but the lower the CCC, the more cognizant you'll need to be of the weight you'll be adding.

Good luck!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the 41' MH shown in my sig. We do have a very limited additional weigh capacity on the rear axle due to the length of coach. I had planned on carrying my tools in one of the rear compartments, but can't do it due to weight limitations. My solution is to get a P/U as a toad then I can carry my motorcycle and mount bed rail tool boxes in the truck to hold the tools thus taking all that weight out of the coach and putting it in the toad.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #66

We have a tag and the handling advantage is significant, and probably worth the added expense. We went from a 40 ft single axel to a 43 ft with tag and here is what we have experienced:
-Much better road handling. This is a big advantage.
-Lifting the axel for short turns is a PIA.
-We lost some basement storage with the tag and Aqua-Hot system. Storage is important to us.
-Turning radius did not change much, as the 43 ft model has independent front suspension.
-Plan on an added $1,500 for tire replacement.
-Front axel loading is high due to the added length. The rear axel off sets engine overhang cantilever affect. Most of the basement storage weight is imposed on the front axel.
-Virtually eliminates porpoising. This is a tremendous advantage.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #67

I bought my tag axel Monaco Camelot over the weekend.
Gave it a full meal, had some in the black/ grey tanks, full fresh water, and a working fulltime load.
Hit the scales at 37520, 14340 front, 23180 rear. Just axel weights. But about 7000 under gross, with little expected to come on board.

Now have in camp and adjusting the load after a "smash and stash" transfer from the previous MH. Much weight leaving the 2 cargo trays and going far astern, so that should ease the front numbers.

Opinions? Advice?

Dave
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I bought my tag axel Monaco Camelot over the weekend.
Gave it a full meal, had some in the black/ grey tanks, full fresh water, and a working fulltime load.
Hit the scales at 37520, 14340 front, 23180 rear. Just axel weights. But about 7000 under gross, with little expected to come on board.

Now have in camp and adjusting the load after a "smash and stash" transfer from the previous MH. Much weight leaving the 2 cargo trays and going far astern, so that should ease the front numbers.

Opinions? Advice?

Dave
If yours is anything like mine, I have a 14,200 GAWR for the front and I was at 14K when I last weighed. I had already moved as much heavy stuff as I could from the two forward-most storage bays to the two bays in front of the drive axle. I still don't like running with near max front axle weight but my tires are inflated to easily handle the weight. I plan to ask the CC folks if they can adjust the tag pressure to take some weight off the front.

I think most of these rigs seem to have the biggest storage bay up front which is a challenge.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
If yours is anything like mine, I have a 14,200 GAWR for the front and I was at 14K when I last weighed. I had already moved as much heavy stuff as I could from the two forward-most storage bays to the two bays in front of the drive axle. I still don't like running with near max front axle weight but my tires are inflated to easily handle the weight. I plan to ask the CC folks if they can adjust the tag pressure to take some weight off the front. I think most of these rigs seem to have the biggest storage bay up front which is a challenge.
Thanks for the response.

Looks like there are many configs out there. I have two 52 inch wide pass-thru slide bays just forward of the rear axel and the wet bay. Max there is 1600 lbs (800 lbs per tray) but I know I am well under that.

Will re-weigh after I have all of my stuff stuffed where it belongs.

Hoping that all of the heavy stuff that is stored far aft upstairs will offset things a bit.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will admit, I have looked at these bigger coaches with tag axles, in fact, I have lusted for one. The biggest thing that gives me pause is the many posts where everyone is scrambling to make the numbers work on the front axle. Yes I know, the CCC with a tag is much more than my Freightliner. I have a 40 ft single axle. My CCC is about 3300 lbs. My storage bays however can hold a lot more volume than the higher end tag coaches. I am a full timer with plenty of clothes, dishes, golf clubs, tools, cleaning and waxing supplies, outdoor chairs and tables, ladder, grill, and other things. The 42-43 ft tags I've seen have less space than I have.

The biggest reason I can see to get a tag is the ride. Unless you are going to haul a trailer with lots of stuff, or haul gold or lead in your storage bays, that extra CCC will be lost. Many of these units also come with aqua hot, hose reels, and other things. From what I can see, you loose a lot of valuable space with these things.

Please keep in mind I am playing Devils advocate here. When it comes down to it, most everyone wants a tag. Unless you are towing a big heavy trailer, most of that extra CCC is not available. Was the original poster concerned with CCC as a reason to justify the tag
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote