Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #1

Tag Axle?

We are considering upgrading. Question I have is what length do you suggest a tag axle? How different is the ride? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, some think a tag is good on a 40' rig. Our last rig, a 40' Dutch Star DP, didn't have a tag and I never thought it needed one.
But we had a gas 35' rig that had a tag and boy did it need it!

Personally I'd like a tag on anything over 40'

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, some think a tag is good on a 40' rig. Our last rig, a 40' Dutch Star DP, didn't have a tag and I never thought it needed one.
But we had a gas 35' rig that had a tag and boy did it need it!

Personally I'd like a tag on anything over 40'
I would agree that 40 is about the max without a tag. Anything more than 40 would be a tough ride and tough to handle I would think.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Today newer rig are made lot lighter and will also depend on Frame and Axles capacity.
HD Spartan Frame, 12,000 lb Front Axle with 26,000 lb Rear Axle your total weight such be under 35,000 lb. Over that a Tag is better, ride will be better and more solid on the road. Now I have seen 40 footer under 35,000 lb with tag, only because the first owner order it that way and if your haling a heavy tandem trailer it way better with a Tag.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

We ended up with a 40' with tag, due the galley being what the DW wanted. I think the sweet spot on length is the 42-43' length. Usually get by in most states without a special Drivers License. And since the Tag does take up one bay of storage, usually the 42-43' tag coaches come with three full bays, vs on our coach, we have 2 1/2 bays.

As far as how different the ride is, well - it varies! Depending upon which chassis is involved, and how sophisticated the chassis is. But generally you'll have more stability in shifting cross winds. You also usually obtain higher overall CCC and towing tongue weight for towing. And you also have two more patches of tires on the road, an extra pair of brakes to assist in stopping. And yeah, the extra tags do come with extra weight too... Higher costs for tires, and just a side more on annual maintenance costs.

And as 'Executive' pointed out on RV.Net forum - 'Tags look sexy!'....

Best,
Smitty
Old 02-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #6

I would never go back to a non tag. I love the ride and the stability of my S Series Roadmaster chassis.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMoe View Post
Today newer rig are made lot lighter and will also depend on Frame and Axles capacity.
I think if anything, they are getting heavier.

Look at the Newmar Dutch Star. Used to do fine with a 14,600lb front axle. Now they need 18,000lb.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I think if anything, they are getting heavier.

Look at the Newmar Dutch Star. Used to do fine with a 14,600lb front axle. Now they need 18,000lb.
Our 2002 DSDP 4090 had a 12,000# axle, was overwweight by 50#'s on it as it left the factory if I filled the fuel and propane tanks. Newmar had Spartan install a 14,600# axle on it and change the front wheels to heavy duty ones.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I previously had a 36' Diplomat. I knew I wanted to go a little longer and I wanted a tag. I specifically looked for a 40' coach with a tag axle. Many manufacturers have been overloading 40' coaches for years. Many of those 40' coaches were/are actually 41'-42' long.

The down side of a 40' with a tag is the lack of available storage, so if you carry a lot of stuff....you might want to make sure there is enough room. I also believe that this creates a "Catch 22". You get a tag and lose carrying capacity or you go without a tag and carry a bunch of extra stuff.

The are many pros.......

A tag axle coach gives you the ride of a longer coach, but the turning radius of a shorter coach (drive axle gets pushed farther forward).

My new coach has disc brakes on the front which is a huge improvement, but having another set of brakes on the tag really adds a lot of braking power.

The straight line stability is improved and there is less push by trucks.

This is a small advantage, but with a tag, you typically have a place where you can rotate the front tires to. Many coaches start to get unusual wear and there is no place to move them.

Lastly, the obvious, you can carry more weight and improve tongue weight rating.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You don't really get to choose, though. The chassis gets a tag if it is needed to carry the weight, i.e. a single rear axle is not sufficient. They don't add a tag cause it looks cool or rides better - it is there for the weight. Generally it becomes necessary at around 41-43 feet of length on a modern Class A diesel chassis. In previous years they have been used on shorter chassis when rear axles were lighter duty. Heck, I had a 36 foot Ford gas chassis in 1996 that had a tag. The largest available rear axle in the Ford line-up at the time was only 12,000 lbs, so it needed extra help.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #11

While the downside to a tag may be that you lose storage.Tags are usually only in longer coaches which then gives you more room, so storage is not an issue.
I love the Tag on my coach, and would never want MH without it.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
While the downside to a tag may be that you lose storage.Tags are usually only in longer coaches which then gives you more room, so storage is not an issue.
I love the Tag on my coach, and would never want MH without it.
Actually we found when going from our previous 40' non tag Dutch Star to the 45' Magna we have less storage, both in the bays and inside! Doesn't seem possible but it's true.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We upgraded from a Winnie Journey at 39' to a HR Navigator specifically for the tag. The Navigator is 43'. We took the Journey to South Dakota last year and got pushed all over the road by wind and trucks. We came back and traded it off. Absolutely would not have another MH without a tag. Love the ride and drive and DW is not at all intimidated to drive it now.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went from a 36' non-tag DP to our current 42-43' tag axle coach. Difference in ride, tracking, handling is pretty significant (better) but in really strong cross winds, you can still get pushed around but not as bad as with the single rear axle.

Storage can be an issue but that also depends on how the coach builder places various utilities in the bays. We have three full pass thru bays, two with slide out trays. I looked at a 42' Foretravel with tag that had less storage based on how they placed batteries, electrical components, Aqua Hot, etc.

Bottom line for us, would not want to go back to a non tag coach.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote