Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what the net capacity gain is with a tag? If the GW rating increases by 10k, as it does on AC Allegiances, what does the tag weigh that would reduce that to a net gain?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #16

Dave, I think that is the answer on you having a hydraulic leveling system. On mine the tag suspension is controlled by my HWH air leveling system and the manual for the system includes the tag axle suspension. Interesting. I learn something everyday.

CAT320, if I read my manual correctly the weight on my tag axle is 8500 lbs, the tag axle Gross Weight Rating is 10,000 lbs and my tag axle weighs 1500 lbs. So my Total Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is 13,000 lbs on the front axle, 20,000 lbs on my drive axle and 10,000 lbs on my tag axle
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #17

WOW! Great information here!

We're still in the researching stage, trying to decide what class of RV we will want for full-timing when I retire in four years. I was inclined to reject those with tag axles, but now I'll rethink that. Of course, as several have said in this thread, the tag axles come on the longer coaches, and we do like camping at state and national parks. The next time we're at a state park I'll have to look around at the DPs and see how many have tag axles.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #18

You still have to wash two more tires, and check the air in two more tires and also check the oil in the wet hubs but it is worth it. Tolls sometimes cost you a little more if they see the tag but a lot of time they just look back at the toad and miss the tag. And it does add 1500 lbs more to the total weight of the MH. Most MHs that are that big and have to have a tag also have a bigger motor and the Allison 4000 transmission vice the 3000. Depending on the year the bigger motors could be the Cummins ISM-500 or the ISX 600 or 650, the Detroit Series 60 or the CAT C12 or C13. These are all considered million mile motors and are all at 500+ hp and 1600+ ft lbs of torque.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #19

On my Beaver with RR10 chassis, there are 10 airbags which level the coach, and provide the suspension/ride height. Front and drive wheels have 2 bags each and the tag wheels have 1 bag each. The tag axle can be adjusted to carry more or less load with a simple twist valve in the engine compartment. The tag can be lifted with a push of a button on the HWH controller next to the drivers seat. It will automatically put the tag axle down at a certain speed (7 mph IIRC) and then pull it up again when you drop below that speed. You don't have to remember to lift it except the first time you start the engine.

Since most of us never wear out a set of tires by mileage, and replace them on age instead, I'm not too sure I'd worry about the scrubbing even if it didn't lift.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We wanted as big as we could get without having a tag axle and that's right around the 40' mark. Tags are fine if you can live with the extra size/weight/cost/maint. We are as big as we can be and still get into the places we go and want to go.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #21

I'll .$.02. Some repeats, concur with Mike's write up, and others comments in generl. Some thoughts:
-Each mfg can tags a bit different
-Extra cost noted and known on tires and general maint
-Extra CCC was the main thing for us
-Extra stability and safety in handling was another main thing
-Extra braking was a secondary
-38' was ouir sweet size, and tags do exist in 38', but loss of storage is a real factor
-We went to 40', so we have the storage of a 38', with tag plusses, and inside the 2' is nice too
-One thing I have not seen noted, is the drive axle on most tag rigs, is moved forward. With tag up, tighter turning radius then most non tag coaches of the same size. You do have to watch the back end, but amazing how tight a turn you can make with most IFS tag coaches.

All the other key things have been noted in other posts. Big leap for us, jumping from a 98 T28 Bounder, to the 03 CC Allure. We were trying to find a 10+ year coach. And so far we are very pleased with our choice. We wanted less glitter, and 'stuff' (We like simple clean inside, and 'stuff' add weights, and opportuinituies for expensive maintence and repair.) We purposely liked the less weight of the Allure line over say the Magna, and it allowed us to have better weight to power ratios with the ISL vs Big Cat.

If anyone is on the fence about tags, many do exist in the 40 range too, so I'd suggest a few test drives of various tag units. Feel the difference in handling.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I'd read too many posts of 40' rigs that will push the cargo carry capacity to the limit, with little or no gear on board, plus the accolades of those with tags as regards stability on the road (I know there are well engineered 40' coaches, they're just more challenging to find). The extra space is a bonus. That led us in the direction of a tag axle coach, and while ours won't physically 'lift' the tag, I can dump air in the tag (And you don't have to hold down the button. Once dumped, it will stay that way until you exceed 8mph) or it will automatically dump if I put the trans in reverse.

With full fuel and fresh water tanks I have about a 6.5k lb CCC, well balanced front to rear. Great for a full time coach.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #23

Let me just add. The only extra maint with a tag is check the hub oil and changing it at 30K miles which means removing a plug and letting it drain out and filling it back up. Costs one bottle of gear oil (about 11-12 oz per hub). I have six extra zerk fittings to pump special grease into for the air brakes. That is it other than checking tire pressures and washing two extra wheels

As far as the extra length you don't notice it going down the highway. As the Italians say "what is behind you is of no concern". As Smitty pointed out the turning radius is really good and it is better than my previous 36' MH.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Sure like hearing about all of the benefits of a tag axle. Since that's the direction we're headed.

We started off by looking at the Phateon 40' and the Winnebago Tour 40cd. Didn;t take long to realize that these units didn't have enought CCC for us to be comfortable in for fulltiming. The Tour 42QD will not work for us cause we need to install a desk in whatever we end up with. (Also the 40cd and 42qd are a little light on closet space and linen storage)

So we're now down to wanting the Dutch Star 4344 cause of the tag axle and we can elimanate on couch and replace it with a recliner and desk.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
I agree with just about everything said here, except the comment that "most" tag axle coaches with air dump have a "momentary" switch that must be held down. Since my 2008 on Freightliner XC-R chassis has a 3-way tag dump switch (auto, manual, off), given Freightliner's market share, I suspect many have the same that I have. The tag doesn't lift, but with the tag air bags depressurized, there is no noticeable scuffing in low-speed maneuvering. I leave the switch in auto mode all the time, and don't give it a second thought. If you haven't driven a tag before, you will be simply amazed by the maneuverability.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #26

Monaco's raise the tag switch is a two position rocker switch and not a push and hold momentary switch
Old 05-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
One thing worth noting about a tag, it's federal law that coaches 42 feet or longer have to have one.

Our knight, classed as a 40 footer, but actually measuring 41', 4" does not have a tag axle.
Tags in coaches below the 42' limit are very very rare. They add a LOT of expense, the manufacturers don't use them unless they have too.

Someone need to tell Newmar Corp. In 2008 they had an 45ft Allstar model. It was on a Spartan mid-engine chassis with no tag axle.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Tags in coaches below the 42' limit are very very rare. They add a LOT of expense, the manufacturers don't use them unless they have too.
Aren't there tons of large gassers out there with tags?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote