Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #29

When we were test driving coaches a couple of years ago by far those with tags were the most stable at freeway speeds. We bought a coach with a tag and our lifts. I just flip it to auto when I want to lift and under 14 mph it comes up. Excellent turning radius with tag up.

Bob 42' tag country coach

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Thumbs up on the tag axle. Love mine. When I see another MH without one and it has 12' or more of "body" behind the single axle, I know it must be a pain to drive. I also like the fact that if you get a rear blowout the tag will help the other tires. Mine doesn't have the lift option but I've never felt I needed it.
...........Times 2, would not be without it ever, the ride is unbelieavable. Good luck and travel safe,
David G.

justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We just bought a Tour 42 QD, so we're new to the tag axle. It seems like it's always windy when we're on the road. I'm anxious to see how well it handles crosswinds. It doesn't sound like I'll be disappointed at all.

We started RVing with a 40' diesel and it was a handful in the wind. Our second coach was a Winnie 40TD, which was a lot better. Winds still required some correction, but it wasn't the white knuckle experience of the first one.

We're upgrading to the 42QD for the improved floor plan and amenities. I didn't really consider the tag as a factor until I drove it. The first time I stepped on the brake pedal was a real shocker. It didn't take much pressure to make a normal stop. I had to ease off the brake pedal...very nice. I chose a test route over an older section of freeway with broken pavement. The ride seemed a lot smoother. I'm looking forward to our first trip to see how it drives over time and how well it handles in the wind.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
One thing worth noting about a tag, it's federal law that coaches 42 feet or longer have to have one.

Our knight, classed as a 40 footer, but actually measuring 41', 4" does not have a tag axle.
Tags in coaches below the 42' limit are very very rare. They add a LOT of expense, the manufacturers don't use them unless they have too.

I have seen many country coach tag axles BELOW 40'
Just do a ggogle search and you will find many for sale
Old 06-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #33

I have never driven a coach without a tag, but I can tell you that the only way I have noticed cross winds is by seeing a flag or tree bent over by the wind, including gusts. Passing semi trucks has no noticeable impact either. Doesn't hurt that it is a heavy pig!
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know if a Monaco Roadmaster 10 airbag chassis has tag axle lift height adjustment?

Steve
Beaver Marquis
Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Yes Steve it does. If the MH is on a level surface and in Travel Mode then when you lift the tag you should be able to rotate the wheels. There are two chains, one on each side, covered in plastic. You can tighten up on these chains to raise the tag further. You can see the plastic covered chains if you look in just forward of the tag axle tire. If your ride heigh adjustment is off then the tag will not pull up correctly so you should also check your height adjustment.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mike

I've been trying to get an answear to this question for some time. I noticed the chains like you said and they are covered in plastic. So I can cut off the plastic covering the next link, and rebolt. The tag currently lifts and just clears the pavement, unfortunately when going around corners or backing one of the tags feels like its chattering without enough clearance.

Any down side to lifting the tag 1 1/2 inches higher?

Steve
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I know of no problems in lifting the tag one link. as long as those chains are slack when in drive position everything is OK. But again, if the MH is not adjusted correctly in ride height the tag tires will touch. My recommendation is before you adjust the tag you park the MH on a level surface and dump the air out of the bags then go back to "travel Mode" on the air bags and check that you have 9" between the air bag upper and lower metal end plates. If your rear is at 8 3/4 or lower then the tag tires will drag.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks again Mike I will do that, one more question once the coach is level, will different weight loads effect air bag height or said another, way will the air bags adjust dynamically to maintain level unlike tires, where the pressure is fixed?

Desmo
Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

The MH has three height control valves that both keep the MH level in Travel Mode regardless of weight and are used to adjust the height of the MH when only in the Travel Mode. These do not adjust the leveling of the MH if parked and using the air leveling mode.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
went from a 35' Southwind to a 40' Monaco Dynasty tag. All the difference in the world. The tag and weight of the motorhome makes it so stable.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #41

Does anyone know if a Phaeton 42 footer running on a Spartan chassis has a way of lifting the tag???

Steve__
Old 06-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
Does anyone know if a Phaeton 42 footer running on a Spartan chassis has a way of lifting the tag???

Steve__
you can relief the pressure on the tag...as air pressure is what applies force to the axle. But as far as lifting it off the ground none of the tags do that any longer. There is a manual switch to operate that feature, or when you engage reverse it will auto dump the air.