Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tag Axle Brake Problem - Need Help

I have the MoreRyde tag axle system on a '98 Dolphin MH. The brakes and power steering were working fine before I took it in to get the oil changed. I saw on this forum that there is a second brake system on the tag axle that is connected to the regular brakes. And that there was a fluid reservoir that needs to be checked. So I had the mechanic check it and he found it was dry. He filled it up and bled the lines. In the meantime, the power steering failed while he had the MH. He replaced the PS unit and now the brakes won't work properly.

It will stop but when the brake pedal is depressed and as you come to a stop, the pedal shudders and vibrates until you let off. It does it worse when the system has been running for a little while. Not so much when it is cold.

He normally does not work on MH's and the tag axle is also new to him. I think I need to find a solution with him as I can't drive it from his shop to a RV shop as it is too dangerous. I do not trust the brakes the way they are now.

Could this be a vacuum issue, not bled properly, etc.? If anyone has some ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

John

zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If the tag axle brakes had not been working for a long time then the drums are probably rusty and grabbing. If you have ABS and the are grabbing then the pedal will shudder. If this I'd so then it will all fix itself after they have been used for awhile

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
If the tag axle brakes had not been working for a long time then the drums are probably rusty and grabbing. If you have ABS and the are grabbing then the pedal will shudder. If this I'd so then it will all fix itself after they have been used for awhile
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm not sure if it has ABS but the shuddering will occur without the MH in motion. It happens when the engine is warm but not when it is cold. I'm having him plug off the vacuum line to the tag axle and see if that makes any difference. He also thinks the tag booster may be leaking since he can hear what he thinks is air escaping. But he did not think that would cause the shuddering of the pedal.

John
Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Well with that more information I take back what I said. The vacuum brake booster has probably gotten a hole in the diaphragm and is making s vacuum leak on the motor which is causing the motor to miss and shake
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Well with that more information I take back what I said. The vacuum brake booster has probably gotten a hole in the diaphragm and is making s vacuum leak on the motor which is causing the motor to miss and shake
Well the motor runs fine. It's the brake pedal that shudders when depressed. It is very strange. I'm sure there is an answer somewhere and maybe even a simple one.

John
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have him pull the drums and look at the pads and surfaces. If they had not been working before, good chance parts are seized from sitting. Have him check the springs and pistons for smooth movement.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Finally fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquest102 View Post
Have him pull the drums and look at the pads and surfaces. If they had not been working before, good chance parts are seized from sitting. Have him check the springs and pistons for smooth movement.
It turns out that the PS pump he got from Autozone was bad and caused the chattering of the brake pedal. The MH has a hydroboost brake system and it is powered by the PS pump.

Thanks for all the feedback.

John
Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the follow up. I will keep that info stored for future use.

Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake