Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Tag Axle Dump

What is the purpose of the Tag Axle Dump and why and how is it used. Looking at the American Revolution 42G.

Thanks

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

The idea is to reduce the "scuffing" of the tag tires during very sharp turns. The coach will pivot on the drive tire so the tags get dragged sideways a little. When set to "Auto" the tag will automatically dump when the coach is put onto reverse. Unless you have your transmission programmed differently, and you can, the tag does not dump going forward. For really sharp forward turns, like parking, you need to manually dump the tag. The tag will auto inflate in drive if the speed exceeds 8 mph.
I keep my tag dump in auto and only sometime manually dump for sharp forward turns, mainly because I keep forgetting.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
As stated those sharp forward turns are low speed only. This is when the "scuffing" occurs, especially on blacktop.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the info

Well illustrated response, tks

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
What is the purpose of the Tag Axle Dump and why and how is it used. Looking at the American Revolution 42G.

Thanks

Jim
Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Also it it amazing how much tighter it turns when the tag is up.
I don't think mine has an auto setting. Just off and on.
dave from mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

The control modules can be programmed to do several things. I found that if I dumped the tag to make a 90* turn, it was inflating before I had completed the turn because I got to 8 mph. So I had the modules programmed to dump the tag when the directional signal was used and the speed was below 20 mph. They will re-inflate once the speed is up to 20 mph. I have a pair of LED lights on the side panel that light up when the tag is dumped, so I know the program is working. The tag operation is now automatic if the directional is used.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:14 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The control modules can be programmed to do several things. I found that if I dumped the tag to make a 90* turn, it was inflating before I had completed the turn because I got to 8 mph. So I had the modules programmed to dump the tag when the directional signal was used and the speed was below 20 mph. They will re-inflate once the speed is up to 20 mph. I have a pair of LED lights on the side panel that light up when the tag is dumped, so I know the program is working. The tag operation is now automatic if the directional is used.
Crasher...what kinda coach do you have???....Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
Crasher...what kinda coach do you have???....Chuck
Tiffin Allegro Bus
Old 06-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #9

We just camped in grass at the National FMA/Fmca rally, dumping the tag puts more weight on the drive axle and increases traction.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We just camped in grass at the National FMA/Fmca rally, dumping the tag puts more weight on the drive axle and increases traction.
On a typical 42-44' tag axle coach dumping the tag transfers weight from the steer and tag to the drive. I have found through several weigh checks that for every 1000# taken off the tag, 160#s comes off the steer and it all goes to the drive. So if the tag weight goes from 7000# to 2500# (that's about what it is when dumped) you have added 4500# + 700# from the steer or 5200#s to the drive. That is where the extra traction comes from. I know, my wife tells me I'm too anal, but I'm retired and have to have something for my mind to do or I would get into trouble.