Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
We took a 6,000 mile trip with a 40' no tag axle DP last year. I enjoyed driving it and it was immensly easier to drive and smoother than the 32' class C I rented the year before. I am very happy with a no-tag axle and have no desire to own one, but good luck to you! And....never buy new, imo. pay fifty cents on the dollar for used and save the money for diesel fuel, repairs, and maintenance ! You'll be glad you did!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
...And....never buy new, imo. pay fifty cents on the dollar for used and save the money for diesel fuel, repairs, and maintenance ! You'll be glad you did!
Never say NEVER.

Still...

Unless money is of little/no concern I'm in the camp of buy used between 3 - 6 years old. With proper records you can see if it was a lemon and if it was well taken care of. If one truly thinks they are buying their last RV, then go closer to 6 years old for the best bang for the buck since trade in value will not be of concern after the coach turns 10 or so. High quality MHs will last decades if well maintained. Buying a well vetted, used MH saves tons of cash both in purchase and financing costs. The savings will greatly offset the usual upkeep and upgrades many folks do as they coach gets older.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I owned a non tag with one slide for 11 years with no qualms, but it was a quality chassis and had plenty of power. I have owned a tag axle for 2 years now and love it also. I would probably still own the non tag if my toad didn't start on fire and burn up my coach.

With that said, I think floor plan is an important consideration, how you think you intend to use it, budget, and quality are some of the major priorities. Once you determine some of these you decision should become very clear.

For instance, there is no question the ride and stability is better with a tag. I hear a lot about added expense for tires, 2 tires that will last 7 years if you take care of them amortized over 7 years is a very minimal expense in my opinion. Brakes, you should never have an issue.

Quality is definitely perceived, but also a reality. There are many chassis and coach builders that have different levels of quality, as you narrow your choice of floor plan and such, the quality should be a major consideration regardless whether you intend on holding onto your unit for a period of time or not. Quality should retain value better than a lower quality over time.

Intended use is also very important, I pull a 24' trailer, with a non tag it was doable, but no where as secure or stable as with the tag. Yes you lose some room with the tag in the basement, but you also do with aqua hot which I have now and didn't have previously. But I wouldn't want to be without the aqua hot once having it. The comfort of the heat and the quietness is unmatched compared to my old gas furnace. Plus with 2 college age kids who travel with me frequently allows for unlimited hot water without concern with recovery time.

To me budget is very important, nor what I consider to be the least important either. But you have stated new is important to you. I personally believe you should purchase the best quality within your budget, which you will be able to buy much higher quality used than new from my experience.

I understand your issue with the ability to test drive etc due to distance. I bought my first motorhome without driving any other motorhome. I also bought my present one without driving any other motorhome other than my previous one. I bought my last 2 boats without test driving them. I am sure many would think this is ridiculous, but once you determine your unit based on the important considerations you determine is best for you, I think when you test drive the unit you ultimately decide on pursuing regardless if new or used, you will know immediately whether you will be satisfied or not.

I found my first motorhome 1,200 miles away and agreed to terms if it was as represented I would purchase it after a test drive and inspection (2 year old unit) spent $250 for a plane ticket and everything checked out and I bought it.

My most recent one was about 300 miles away and basically did the same thing minus the flight, I drove.

Do your research and I only wish I knew about this forum when I was doing my research, but there is plenty of other ways to research and with this forum you will be amazed how informed consumer you will be. Good luck!!!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #32

There is no doubt buying used is a better deal. And while money is a huge factor, I like having the latest advancements with my purchase. But even with the correct records you can't be sure the mechanical components in a used rig were taken care off or abused.

However if I did go used, it would have to be a recent model. But then I'd have to wonder why it was being sold so soon, as in undisclosed issues that aren't readily visible.

Whatever I decide, I'll take my time and if there's sales pressure, I'll walk.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #33

If budget allows, buy a tag. You will be very happy.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
There is no doubt buying used is a better deal. And while money is a huge factor, I like having the latest advancements with my purchase. But even with the correct records you can't be sure the mechanical components in a used rig were taken care off or abused.

However if I did go used, it would have to be a recent model. But then I'd have to wonder why it was being sold so soon, as in undisclosed issues that aren't readily visible.

As one poster said, unless you have owned both you can't really offer a fair comment. We have bought new a 39S Discovery (08) and new 2012 American Coach Revolution 42W. Both were/are great to drive, but the tag has far superior handling and braking. Don't worry about a few extra feet, you won't notice the difference. As far as one comment, "I would never buy a tag due to the extra cost of tires" how did he ever manage to get rid of that converted van?? No, you don't need a tag, you don't need a diesel pusher either, but you know you are going to get one! And by the way, tag axles look so good from the side view!!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #35

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post

You are going to first have to get over your fear of everything before you can truely enjoy anything. Coaches are bought and sold all of the time. many coaches are bought new and then found out to be more expensive or more coach than needed. Coaches are bought new by those people that have more money than sense for a one time trip and then sold. Coaches are bought new with a vision of traveling the open road like a band of gypsies only to find out that work doesn't allow extended vacations.........get the idea.....there are hundreds of reasons that there are some really good used coaches.....Besides, very few people that can actually afford a big fancy coach trash them. HOWEVER, if your plan is to buy ANY coach and expect a lifetime of trouble free miles.......well you might take up a different hobby. The first thing I tell poeple looking to get into an "A coach" or any for that matter is to keep a note book close by your easy chair in your coach, cause then everytime you make a stop you can jot down what broke in that segment of your trip......makes it easier to remember all of the little things you have to repair when you get home. The second thing I suggest........don't be afraid to learn to work on these things. If you don't cost of ownership will cause another great coach to be put on the for sale lot.

As others have said, figure out what you want to do with your coach, then figure out what things are must have. Then figure out what things are nice to have. Then figure out what floor plan meets the above mentioned items. Then check again to see if your intentions for use are still the same.........THEN find the package it is in. Then decide whether you can afford that package. if you can't then start triming the nice to haves and check price against budget again. If you can afford it then move forward with a big grin, if not then back up and continue to trim or start moving backwards in years old. if you end up having to trim all of your nice to haves and all of your need to haves before you get to a price point that works, or get so old that it isn't working.....maybe an "A" aint in the cards. If after you actually find all of the above and that is in 45' with a tag so be it, if it is in a 34' so be it. ORRRRR you could do like alot of us and change coaches every year or two trying to figure it all out........But that method aint cheap.....LOL
Old 03-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #36

All I know is tag axle MH's pass me while I pass all single rear wheel MH's in my diesel powered dually truck pulling my 5th wheel.

Those tag axle MH's must handle great while other non-tags must not handle as well since they all drive slower.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #37

All good advice that I appreciate. I can't wait to start my journey RVing. I have the free time to travel as much or as little as I want. It's just a matter now of what I can afford to purchase. But, the more I read, the more I want a tag axle.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #38

OK - here is a novel thought...go to any local school most mornings of the year. Observe who is driving a school bus and decide if you measure up to drive a school bus full of kids. Millions of "lesser" experienced drivers move our school kids twice a day for two to three hours a day on a limited basis in tighter spots - in vehicles with a lot more "swing" on the rear end than you will experince...if you measure up to most school bus drivers - you can drive a tandem....
Old 03-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Started with a 37' DP non tag and loved it. But upgraded to the MADP with tag and really noticed a difference.

If the expense of 2 tires every 6 years is a concern this is not the right size coach. The fuel expense increase you get into jumping over 37' is far more than 2 tires.

If you are ok with the expense, go big, go tag. So enjoyable to drive!
Rpiersie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #40

I own both a 40' 17 ton tag and a 36' two axle class A that is half the weight and I'd say all the pros and cons have been covered here, so I won't add to the confusion by restating them - but has anyone mentioned that a heavy tag unit may/will get you into a weight range that requires formal licence endorsements that may worry some owners.

====================

My 40' is an MCI converted bus and I have driven it over horrendous giant washboard roads - and had all 8 tyres off the ground (that was exciting) and I know if I took the Airstream over the same roads at the same speed it would just disintegrate, but that is not comparing apples with apples as I suspect that any class A built the same way would do the same - tag axle or not.

As for driving them. The MCI is a 4-speed manual crash box, with a turning circle of a supertanker, but Betty got her licence endorsement in it. Over an hour comprehensive test by an inspector that wasn't going to give her any leeway. No mean feat given most people would never try it let alone succeed.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tag axles

You don't need a BIG coach to enjoy the benefits of a TAG axle. My 1992 Holiday Rambler is 34 feet and has a TAG. My uncle has a Georgie Boy Cruisemaster that is nearly identical in size and configuration, except for the TAG.

After he drove my rig, he said it "handled like a slot car" compared to his.
And his is in excellent shape, as far as tires, shocks, etc....

I have driven smaller rigs, 26 foot class C for example, that scared the bejesus outta me in windy highway driving. The HR with the TAG is like a freight locomotive on rails. I'll never own a rig without a TAG
Old 03-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpiersie View Post
Started with a 37' DP non tag and loved it. But upgraded to the MADP with tag and really noticed a difference.

If the expense of 2 tires every 6 years is a concern this is not the right size coach. The fuel expense increase you get into jumping over 37' is far more than 2 tires.

If you are ok with the expense, go big, go tag. So enjoyable to drive!
Change out your steers at 5yrs and have the old ones mounted on the tag, run them to 10yrs. Never buy tag tires !