Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #15

Count me in on the lowboy plan. This is why we pay the (very small) amount of money each year, precisely for situations like this. The amount of damage that could happen otherwise is pretty high.

But if you can't do that, is there a fuse/relay that CC used to "force lower" the tag above 15mph? Maybe you could pull that and limp it along. Obviously you know how overloaded you might be on the drive axle -- but if you keep speeds way down you stand a good chance of being okay.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Excuse my ignorance - Do they use air pressure to hold the axle up or force it down - i.e thinking disconnect the air line or plug the air line to get you down the road for that 60 miles.
1 had thought of that, so far i do not know where that cut out would be, I have been told most are tied into the transmission.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Excuse my ignorance - Do they use air pressure to hold the axle up or force it down - i.e thinking disconnect the air line or plug the air line to get you down the road for that 60 miles.
i could plug the air line at the upper bag (there are 2 , and the axle is a stub type ) bag is under a lot of pressure and if i drained all the air i would not be able to get back under the coach. Then , I am not sure my HWH will let me to drop that much air, especially at the tag. Its possible the balance between the two bags full if air could help hold it all together. I still have half the weld around the stub axle. The tire is missing most tread but holding air, it should hold up for 60 miles.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Count me in on the lowboy plan. This is why we pay the (very small) amount of money each year, precisely for situations like this. The amount of damage that could happen otherwise is pretty high.

But if you can't do that, is there a fuse/relay that CC used to "force lower" the tag above 15mph? Maybe you could pull that and limp it along. Obviously you know how overloaded you might be on the drive axle -- but if you keep speeds way down you stand a good chance of being okay.

Steve
Thanks guys! I never thought of the insurance policy...will look into that now. It would be a big haul ,45' coach on a stretch detach lowboy that weights 50,000 will need to be permitted for over weight...but thats their problem , If I have coverage. Still looking for parts, Ridewell says its a bad ID no. Got to find the fix before anyone will try it . Maybe tomorrow.....
Old 04-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #19

well guys , i made it to the shop....62 miles on a wobbling tire that has no tread left....; will leave it here for a month or more while they fab a new tag axel.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #20
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, Glad you made it over there without doing any further damage.

Hopefully they can get it squared away for you.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Waiter had a good idea. Reduce the downward air pressure on the tag axle reducing the stress and drive carefully in.
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #22

Been to the UP (Copper Harbor) a couple of years ago visiting a logger friend - I had a airline problem and had to have a mechanic drive out to Copper Harbor....while your waiting for your coach - enjoy the beautiful country up there.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Suggest that while you get the repairs made you file a complaint with NHTSA as axles should never fail. So this might be a safety issue.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
Been to the UP (Copper Harbor) a couple of years ago visiting a logger friend - I had a airline problem and had to have a mechanic drive out to Copper Harbor....while your waiting for your coach - enjoy the beautiful country up there.
Ya, wonderful part of the world for sure. We always go to Copper Harbor in July for my birthday,.nice RV park at Lake Fanny Hoe.......remote , always will be. Even cell phones won,t work there on the shore of the largest body of fresh water in the world. ( by volume ). It's about 4 hour drive from my place in Marquette........on our way home, been ouT since Dec. 1st, sure do miss the north woods ,hope the last two feet of snow in my driveway gets plowed before. We arrive !
Old 04-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #25

We stayed at Fanny Hoe - We had to go to the top of the mountain to call the mechanic. We visited Gene and Sherry.....they have a summer home up there and he is a birds eye maple logger. They are from Marquette also. Good luck on the last of your travels.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

Steve
I called Good Sam , they told me I had a pre- existing condition ! Their insurance is worthless.....read the fine print.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:58 AM   #27

I don't think NHTSB can help as CC went bankrupt.

Ridewell can blame it on the design not their axle.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I called Good Sam , they told me I had a pre- existing condition ! Their insurance is worthless.....read the fine print.
Call back and get a different service rep. How does anyone know it is pre-existing until it is looked at by a professional.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote