Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #29

For what it's worth..... We live in joplin, Mo. and there is a place called Colaw RV just east of us on Hwy44 where they claim to be the largest rv salvage yard in America! You could check to see if they have one that's operational?
(417) 548-2125
Good luck to you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #30

Thanks everyone for your concern and suggestions. The final chapter on the tag axle won"t be written until Ridewell gives us an price on replacement.. no one is interested in welding due to liability and there are no parts or like kind set ups around, so it will mean a new fab both sides. i should know more on Monday, i hope .

Old 05-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #31

Just an update on my axle problem. It took 2 weeks to determine who was responsible for the axle replacement. Gillig was the most help, but only as to giving us people and phone numbers. Ridewell could not tell us anything until they had a new axle to work with. Seems the lift axle set up was designed for or by Gillig, Ridewell could not find any drawings . Gillig finally came up with the drawing Rockwell was where we had to start. The new unit will be shipped to Ridewell on Monday ( sure glad we packed up and drove home ! ) they need 4 days to do their part,, so , looks like June first or thereabouts, as the shop needs 3 days to attach the axle.. My cost for the new axle 5500.00 plus labor to install in Albuquerque Then I need to get tires, thats what I am doing now. I really need all 8. but , I think I will just get 2 tires for the tag to get me home. I am looking now at Hankook Tires, they got better reviews than Michelin .and are 1/2 the price. I am not sure whit size i need for the tag 12R 22.5 or 315/80 22.5 .as is on the balance of the coach So far no one seems to know how it came fom Country Coach when new ?.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your ready for 8 tires, I'd put the 2 new on the steer axle, move old steers to the tag.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #33

JMHO but I would put the new tires on the steer axle and not make any changes in tire size. I believe the most reliable tires (they all should be) belong on the front. The greater thread depth will also minimize any tendency to hydroplane.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
JMHO but I would put the new tires on the steer axle and not make any changes in tire size. I believe the most reliable tires (they all should be) belong on the front. The greater thread depth will also minimize any tendency to hydroplane.
The problem is twofold , first, i really only need 1 tire All the others have lots of tread...but are 9 years old, just starting to crack in hairlane cracks on some.I know I need to replace but thought I would wait till I get home and have my local tire shop fix me up. second , I am still not shure what tires belong on this coach that has a GVW of 46,500 and a GCVW 53,500. Looks to me the tires need to be equal to a total of 56,000. Seems that points to 315s all 8 of them.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The problem is twofold , first, i really only need 1 tire All the others have lots of tread...but are 9 years old, just starting to crack in hairlane cracks on some.I know I need to replace but thought I would wait till I get home and have my local tire shop fix me up. second , I am still not shure what tires belong on this coach that has a GVW of 46,500 and a GCVW 53,500. Looks to me the tires need to be equal to a total of 56,000. Seems that points to 315s all 8 of them.

You don't need to use GCWR for tires because the weight of the tow is not carried by the tires. Any tongue weight would be included.

If you look at 315s the wheel width to get full weight carry capacity is 9". Only Michelin allows 315s to be used on 8.25" wheels and they down rate the capacity. If your steer axle GAWR is between 14-15k pounds, the most widely used tire size is 295/80R22.5. At full axle rating they will need to be inflated to 115-120 psi.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
...If your steer axle GAWR is between 14-15k pounds, the most widely used tire size is 295/80R22.5. At full axle rating they will need to be inflated to 115-120 psi.
I think you might find they often use a lot of 305/70Rs at that front axle range. That being said they also need to be in that 115 PSI range.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Just an update on my axle problem. It took 2 weeks to determine who was responsible for the axle replacement. Gillig was the most help, but only as to giving us people and phone numbers. Ridewell could not tell us anything until they had a new axle to work with. Seems the lift axle set up was designed for or by Gillig, Ridewell could not find any drawings . Gillig finally came up with the drawing Rockwell was where we had to start. The new unit will be shipped to Ridewell on Monday ( sure glad we packed up and drove home ! ) they need 4 days to do their part,, so , looks like June first or thereabouts, as the shop needs 3 days to attach the axle.. My cost for the new axle 5500.00 plus labor to install in Albuquerque Then I need to get tires, thats what I am doing now. I really need all 8. but , I think I will just get 2 tires for the tag to get me home. I am looking now at Hankook Tires, they got better reviews than Michelin .and are 1/2 the price. I am not sure whit size i need for the tag 12R 22.5 or 315/80 22.5 .as is on the balance of the coach So far no one seems to know how it came fom Country Coach when new ?.
Have you checked the weight certificate in the rig? Ours shows the tires it came with from CC. Ours came with and still has 365/70's on the front and tag and 315/80's on the drive. The front and tag wheels are 10.5" wide and the drive are 9".
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
A few thoughts...

1. 9 years is getting a tad long in the tooth but that is my opinion and not to start the debate but food for thought.

2. You can find the proper/original tire sizes on the tire pressure plate that should be somewhere near the driver's seat on the wall. Usually behind the seat.

3. 315's all around seem overkill. I have 305s and on the drive and tag wheels barely have enough weight on the drive axle to use more than the minimum 75 PSI. The tag is not where near close to needing more than 75 PSI. 315s on those axles might be more like balloons. LOL

4. If you currently have 305s you could consider 315s up front if the rims accept them but you need to be very careful that they don't rub the wheel wells with the wheels turn fully left and right. The only real advantage of 315s in most cases is that they have a max inflation of 130PSI cold. If you used 115 PSI with 305s, you still use 115 PSI with 315s but you get a less harsh ride...or so they say. BTW...they weigh about 40# more as a set so technically you loose 40# on the front axle because of the heavier weight compared to 305s but there are some that say this isn't true since that 40# doesn't really sit on the axle.

5. As already suggested, if you replace 1 tire, go ahead and replace 2 and put the new ones up front. Pick the worst of the 7 remaining tires to toss away.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
A few thoughts...

1. 9 years is getting a tad long in the tooth but that is my opinion and not to start the debate but food for thought.

2. You can find the proper/original tire sizes on the tire pressure plate that should be somewhere near the driver's seat on the wall. Usually behind the seat.

3. 315's all around seem overkill. I have 305s and on the drive and tag wheels barely have enough weight on the drive axle to use more than the minimum 75 PSI. The tag is not where near close to needing more than 75 PSI. 315s on those axles might be more like balloons. LOL

4. If you currently have 305s you could consider 315s up front if the rims accept them but you need to be very careful that they don't rub the wheel wells with the wheels turn fully left and right. The only real advantage of 315s in most cases is that they have a max inflation of 130PSI cold. If you used 115 PSI with 305s, you still use 115 PSI with 315s but you get a less harsh ride...or so they say. BTW...they weigh about 40# more as a set so technically you loose 40# on the front axle because of the heavier weight compared to 305s but there are some that say this isn't true since that 40# doesn't really sit on the axle.

5. As already suggested, if you replace 1 tire, go ahead and replace 2 and put the new ones up front. Pick the worst of the 7 remaining tires to toss away.
tThe data plate shows 315/80s on steer and 12R everywhere else. I guess I need to check rim width on the tag inorder to switch. The Coach wt. is 46500 GVW and 53,500 GCVW
Old 05-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #40

Quote:
I could not find any one else who has had this problem, so I am sourcing all over the Net. so far no luck.

Here is the problem I have a Country Coach Concept 1998 year. Sunday we started our snowbird return to Upper Michigan.......however, now stuck in Santa Fe , NM. Right rear tag axle tire has stripped its tread and the angle is way off. Further inspection there is several cranks in the Ridewell lift axle system , all around where the stub axle welds to the assembly , only about 25 percent holding it together. My first thought was find a good welder and put it all back together. The local RV guy says " no way ,you need a new assembly ). So yesterday I have been researching Ridewell parts, so far no response from the factory. Local Ridewell distributor in Albuquerque said he would look for parts, that was yesterday AM. I am beginning to think maybe there IS a way to weld the problems once the breaks are returned to proper fit. I can see that may be a last resort ? I am beginning to see huge repair bills and weeks sitting at a 50.00 a night Park. Last but lest the tire , Michelin 12R 22.5 XZ2 no longer made, waiting now on a recommend from Michelin headquarters...So any one out there have any ideas or experiences ?.
Sorry if this has been said already get your unit to a suspension shop and all will be well they are the people you need to see regarding anything axle related
Old 05-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #41

Quote:
tThe data plate shows 315/80s on steer and 12R everywhere else. I guess I need to check rim width on the tag inorder to switch. The Coach wt. is 46500 GVW and 53,500 GCVW
Update I just talked to CC , they said 315/80 on front with 9" rim The rear 12R including tag has 8" rim. Looks like I can not switch around old and new.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishn4fun View Post
Sorry if this has been said already get your unit to a suspension shop and all will be well they are the people you need to see regarding anything axle related
Ya its been in the shop for a month now !