Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

Tag axle problems ( serious )

I could not find any one else who has had this problem, so I am sourcing all over the Net. so far no luck.

Here is the problem I have a Country Coach Concept 1998 year. Sunday we started our snowbird return to Upper Michigan.......however, now stuck in Santa Fe , NM. Right rear tag axle tire has stripped its tread and the angle is way off. Further inspection there is several cranks in the Ridewell lift axle system , all around where the stub axle welds to the assembly , only about 25 percent holding it together. My first thought was find a good welder and put it all back together. The local RV guy says " no way ,you need a new assembly ). So yesterday I have been researching Ridewell parts, so far no response from the factory. Local Ridewell distributor in Albuquerque said he would look for parts, that was yesterday AM. I am beginning to think maybe there IS a way to weld the problems once the breaks are returned to proper fit. I can see that may be a last resort ? I am beginning to see huge repair bills and weeks sitting at a 50.00 a night Park. Last but lest the tire , Michelin 12R 22.5 XZ2 no longer made, waiting now on a recommend from Michelin headquarters...So any one out there have any ideas or experiences ?.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would call a mobile repair shop about welding and Michelin is not the only tire maker in that size. Used on a lot of fire trucks.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
What chassis do you have? You need a truck chassis service center... Spartan, Freightliner, etc.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thinking out loud - take the tire off, use a cum-a-long or chain binder, pull the bad axle up as far as it will go and hit the road.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #5

X2 call a weld shop, replace tire with what ever and that way you can get home and have it repaired properly while you relax in your easy chair.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
What chassis do you have? You need a truck chassis service center... Spartan, Freightliner, etc.
Its a Gillig Chassis built to Country Coach specs.Gillig could not help me as the component is Ridewell..
Old 03-31-2015, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Thinking out loud - take the tire off, use a cum-a-long or chain binder, pull the bad axle up as far as it will go and hit the road.
So far , this was my first thought , only welder around is the EV Huy, who does have a good rep. but he refuses to weld. I could not find anyplace to attach a chain and binder except body and thats a no no. I have been thinking to chancing it for 60 miles to the big city and let the Rideweld dealer take care of it, then if its more than 2 weeks, load up the Jeep and head for the north woods , where, there are very few places that would work on a big Coach. WE live in a very remote part of the country .
Old 03-31-2015, 01:30 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
60 miles - if the wheel is off do you have enough ground clearance to run it for those 60?
Old 03-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
60 miles - if the wheel is off do you have enough ground clearance to run it for those 60?
i had tire shop put the wheel and tire back on, no i can not lift the axle as country coach has an override over 15 mph and it returns to ground.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:39 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there anywhere on the frame to weld a little temporary tab for the chain binder? That will get you down the road to the repair place and they can cut the tab off.

BE CAREFUL WELDING - don't want any fires...
Old 03-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Excuse my ignorance - Do they use air pressure to hold the axle up or force it down - i.e thinking disconnect the air line or plug the air line to get you down the road for that 60 miles.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
So far , this was my first thought , only welder around is the EV Huy, who does have a good rep. but he refuses to weld. I could not find anyplace to attach a chain and binder except body and thats a no no. I have been thinking to chancing it for 60 miles to the big city and let the Rideweld dealer take care of it, then if its more than 2 weeks, load up the Jeep and head for the north woods , where, there are very few places that would work on a big Coach. WE live in a very remote part of the country .

Do you have "Roadside Assistance"? They could put your coach on a lowboy & haul you the 60 miles to a qualified shop. I wouldn't chance driving it.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #13

I'm with Steve. Call whatever roadside assistance you have and see what they can do for you. Your tag carries a lot of weight. I know ours goes down somewhere around 5 to 10 miles per hour. i don't think you can override that.

One other thing is to call Country Coach and see what they say. Ron Lee, the former president bought all the jigs, molds, etc during the auction and runs a full service facility in Coburg. So, you have excellent technical support there. Their website is here.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Darstar, Hopefully you got it to the repair station. Keep us posted. Maybe a photo or two if you have a few moments.

Good luck, I hate being broke down.