Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I just replaced our 36' DP with a 40' DP w/tag. I think larger coaches (42 plus) should/must have a tag axle to handle the weight, even with 23K axles.

Not many 40' coaches come with a tag, but that was something I was looking for. Our coach is exactly 40' long from bumper to bumper. It's not one of those forty footers that measures 41' or 42'. With a tag on a 40' coach, the wheelbase is not that much different than my 36' when measured from front wheels to drive wheels. I get the advantages of a short wheelbase for turning and the advantages of a longer wheelbase for handling along with the added directional handling provided by a tag. My 36' was unable to run around in my cul-de-sac, where my new DP does it easily.

I disagree with the braking not being increased with a tag. For easy figuring, let's say you take a 35K coach with two axles and associated braking, add 5K more in weight and a third axle with brakes. You now have 3 axle breaking on 40K vs 2 axle breaking on 35K. I know my 40' DP stops substantially better than my 36' DP (I do give some credit to front disc brakes on my new coach).

Lastly....I know there is a mileage decrease with a tag due to weight and drag.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #16

Thanks for all that input fellows. My reason for asking is I first started looking at a 37' thinking I would be gaining some storage over my current 36' but since the 37' added a 1/2 bath I'm ending up losing space. So now I'm considering the 40' which has the tag axle, some extra storage space, and the option to trade the king bed for a queen and have more room around the bed.
So I was wanting information about the tag that might help sway me one way or the other. Decisions decisions.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
No decision, IMHO, I have owned a forty ft. non tag and a current forty three tag. The suspension, ride, comfort, safety, and extra CCC are but a small example of the major reasons with no minor advantages mentioned. There are so many discussions in the search library to keep one busy for hours. Yep only two tires Joe!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #18

As I think about it, there are no disadvantages with a tag axle. IMO, the improved ride, stability in wind, stability when being passed by a semi, better weight distribution, better stopping ability, and the relaxed feeling at the end of a long day on the road, far out weigh the slight drop in economy and the $150/ year for the extra two tires. I feel I gain more than what the increased cost of ownership is.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
One disadvantage would be having to buy 4 extra tires at about $600 each!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't tag axles have only two wheels, and therefore two tires?
Old 11-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
As I think about it, there are no disadvantages with a tag axle. IMO, the improved ride, stability in wind, stability when being passed by a semi, better weight distribution, better stopping ability, and the relaxed feeling at the end of a long day on the road, far out weigh the slight drop in economy and the $150/ year for the extra two tires. I feel I gain more than what the increased cost of ownership is.
+1 Many more advantages than disadvantages.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #21

I have had both and that is why I made sure my 37 foot had a tag with a 400, I can pull anything, turn easy and the ride is the best I have ever had. As far as space you adjust to what you have, I would not trade a compartment for ride or stability, if you have not experienced passing other rigs in a tag you should it feels great.

For more space add a trailer that hauls your car and stuff.

Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote