Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Tag Axle vs Single Axle

What are the disadvantages of a tag axle on a class A motorhome? I'm shopping and tend to stay away from units with tag axles. Of course, one obvious disadvantage is having to replace two or four more tires plus maintaining the extra axle.

Are there any distinct advantages to having the additional set of wheels?

Thank you,

Lyle
lyleapgmcrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #2

Guys much more qualified than me will probably chime in here. But from my readings, a tag gives a much more comfortable and stable ride. More resistance to wind, and greatly increases the carrying capacity of the rig.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a tag axle and I would agree that ride, stability and carrying capacity are the main gains you will see. Had mine for three years now and no issues so far.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Have had my tag for two years now.
The big advantage it does take a lot to move you around going down the road. Normally also allows you to carry more weight. BTW a tag only has two tires not four. My tag also lifts allowing sharper turns at low speeds. (Some new MHs have a steerable tag to help as well). Also most tags are going to be in the 43-45 foot range (some exceptions of course).

You can also adjust the tag to balance the weight on the front and rear axles, which can also add to ride and handling.

Disadvantage - you lose a luggage compartment and yes two more tires to replace. In reality we still haven't filled the existing basement compartments and still have lots of cupboard space as well so not an issue for us. Oh yeah, you also need two more TPMS.

I really like my current ride compared to my previous motor homes (1 gas and two DPs without tag).

If all things are equal (floor plan, quality etc) I'd go for the tag every time.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #5

There are some 40 footers with multiple slides that require a tag because of their weight. If they have lifting or steering or unloading tags, they can often actually turn sharper than a single axle 40 ft coach, plus you have two more braking surfaces.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #6

I have had both tag and no tag, my choice is with tag, you also get 2 more wheels with brakes, plus much more stable when those big rigs are coming at you moving a lot of air.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
No doubt at all. As Chris said, if all things are equal, tag every time.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #8

Have had a tag coach for six years and there are no disadvantages. Very little extra maintenance (none in six years) Just two tires every 7 years. That's about 1.3 cents per mile. More stability, more capacity, better ride, better braking. What's not to like about it??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #9

Search this forum for tag axle and you'll find previous discussions on this topic. That said, the main points have been stated in this thread.
I personally like the shorter wheelbase for tight turns (provided the tag is set to auto dump, or the driver manually dumps) while having the stability of a longer wheelbase on the highway. As others have stated, an extra set of brakes and tires gives added safety and an extra set of airbags helps with the ride.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #10

A few months back I took a 2017 Newmar 4038 (I think that’s the model, 40ft with tag) for a spin along with a Fleetwood discover 40e, non tag.

To say it was night and day was a understatement. I know the Newmar costs a bit more when new however from simply a driving/ride standpoint, there was no comparison between the two.

As stated most tag coach’s are longe, 42-45ft which to many is the biggest negative with these coaches, just to long for some to want to deal with. However typically 12,000-15,000+ tow rating and a more stable ride.

On the smaller 40ft tag yes a good amount of storage was lost due to the axel however if comparing a 40ft non tag coach to a 42+ft tag coach... storage is probably about even.

I was the extra stability as well as towing capacity so I hope to get a 43+ ft tag coach.....
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:40 PM   #11

Our 2000 38' gas coach came with tags which increased GVWR from 20,000 to 22,000 lbs, enhanced braking capacity and directional stability.

Negative properties, additional tire cost and reduced basement storage, but I'm OK with that.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:59 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Lyle....the primary reason for a tag is to carry more weight. You said you've been staying away from looking at tag coaches, which means you're not looking at anything longer than a 40' coach, as everything past that has a tag.

If you decide you want something longer than a 40' coach, you have no choice but to buy a tag axle model. There is really no middle ground with the exception of a couple of odd ball coaches that I'm sure someone will mention. The only modern 40' coach with a tag is the Newmar Dutch Star and Ventana.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Up until 2000 40’ DPs had ample CCC but as slides, tile floors, AquaHot, and extra length were added, the CCC got down to very little. A tag added 10K of CCC and much improved handling. It’s real simple, once you’ve had a tad you will never go back to one without.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #14

More expensive tolls in the east.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single