Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Tag question

What is the difference between a "tag" rv other than the price, double axles more tires?

Thanks
Tom
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Increased weight carrying capacity, extra set of brakes, able to adjust front axle and drive axle weights by increasing or decreasing pressure on tag axle, very stable ride with minimal wandering due to winds or passing trucks, additional air bags (total of 10 on our Monaco dynasty) resulting in very smooth ride, tag lifts to reduce scrubbing on tires when making sharp turns and tag also allows placement of drive axle to be a few inches forward thus allowing a tighter turning radius which comes in handy when backing into tight spaces.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #3

Well said
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #4

To me, the downside (other than the obvious maintenance items) is they're installed on coaches that are heavy enough to need the extra capacity an extra axle will give them? Up side well documented above.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #5

and when you pay extra for the tag you get HORSE POWER. that is the best part of the tag.
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
and when you pay extra for the tag you get HORSE POWER. that is the best part of the tag.
So is extra horsepower good for anything other than pulling power, I mean does extra horse provide extra mpg? I am just wondering, I plan on purchasing a diesel , we are going on the road full time, until we get tired.....
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
RIDE COMFORT! How far are you going to drive? The tag will provide extra comfort. Just drive the same model without a tag (probably 40 foot) versus a tag (probably 42 to 45 feet) and compare.

The extra HP may actually result in less MPG because the coach is bigger and can carry more "stuff". We all seem to load all available space with this "stuff". Plus the unloaded coach is heavier as well.

I do not think you will see a great difference in MPG between a 40 foot non-tag with 400 HP versus a 43 foot tag with 450 HP.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the major reasons for the tag is that the frame rail can't handle the load the manufacturer is putting on it. But I am not saying this is a bad idea. Not at all. It is a good way of getting more on less.

If you are buying new or newer the coaches today are set up more stable than earlier models. This Meridian we now have is much more stable than our '05 40' Vectra was. I thought it was the greatest thing to drive and very stable. But suspensions have improved even in this short time between models.

One consideration is what do you plan to do with it? Where are you going to park? Some Army Corp of Engineers parks won't handle big rigs. In Sowers most of the camps we volunteer at can only handle up to 40' and many only have 30A service. On the other hand, if you are just on permanent vacation and planning to stay at the major name CG's simply pick the floor plan, options and model you think you will like. Continue to do your homework here and i think you will be well advised. There is much wisdom and experience eager to help.

Happy trails,

Rick
Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
World of driving difference and comfort between my previous 40' and current 42'. Holds the road better and handles wind gusts with ease. But it also means another set of wheel covers.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Richard,

If I am reading your post correctly your rig is a 2007. Yes, I am certain that the ride is more comfortable and stable than an older 40'. A new tag may also be a little more stable than the new singles. But my '05 Vectra was not as stable as this '11 is. I don't know if the IFS on the old rig was the difference or not. It just seems that this new chassis is much more stable in wind and truck breeze than the Vectra was.

I am not trying to be argumentative here. I just feel that options should be left open. One thing I think we will agree on is that any rig will drive much differently loaded vs unloaded as in a test drive situation.

And then there is the consideration of the feel that each chassis manufacture builds into there RV chassis and model application. I think it all comes down to accepting what you we have under what features and needs we settle for.

Tom, I hope you are not more confused now then when you started this post. We all are seeking to give our best opinion. I hope we have all contributed positively.

Good hunting and many blessings,
Rick
Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One other advantage of the tag is that there is a slightly longer distance between the motor and the drive axle. The drive shaft is a tad longer and has less of an angle which puts less stress on the U-joints. Not a real big deal. My diesel mech told me it does help.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for that tidbit Don. I never knew that.

I was reading one of the 'experts' on this subject. I don't recall if it was Freightliner or some other site. The most common reason, according to that source, for the tag was to compensate for the overloading of the frame rail. If the manufacture of a coach or truck wants to get away with a cheaper chassis this is a way of doing it as I understand.

I think the extra maintenance needs to be a consideration. But if the coach is over 40' tag seems to be the common practice among the chassis manufacturer. Because of our needs we opted for the biggest rig we could use in this RV ministry. We fell in love with the Winnebago/Itasca QD layout but the length did not fit our need. So we settled for the 40U. In truth we feel like we are in the most beautiful, comfortable and practical unit we could find or afford. My DW is a little homesick for the old dishwasher but that is the only regret we have at the moment. If she is willing to give up a couple of storage draws under the stove top she can have the dishwasher again. But I don't see that she is that desperate just yet.

Discussions of this nature seem so rewarding in some ways. We get a chance to brag and yet the opportunity to enjoy hearing from fellow RVers and their bragging rights! Only in America!!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In the end (pardon that pun) we chose the tag for what generally has been talked about in regards to weight caring and ability to keep a straight line on the road under most any reasonable conditions.

While it might have a few extra points for maintenance the extra brakes were a big plus to us. The massive CCC also means we will have ample brake capability for the weight we carry. Our MH GVWR is 44,200# but in reality, we will never use all of that. In fact, our combined gross weight with our toad will probably be just around 45,000# so my 400 ISL is very capable of hauling us around in almost any roadway suitable for a big rig. When you add the toad's supplemental brakes (Air Force One) we are good to both stop and go.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
World of driving difference and comfort between my previous 40' and current 42'. Holds the road better and handles wind gusts with ease. But it also means another set of wheel covers.
I wonder if that is nearly as true now as it was before. At least in the Newmar line 40' MHs now have a tag axle to support the DEF equipment that would have made CCC almost non-existent without it.

So, I can certainly see that a 42' tag axle will be light years ahead of a 39' gasser (Been there, done that.) and probably a nice improvement over a 40' DP without a tag. I am wondering if a 40' tag to a 42' tag is nearly as pronounced?

That doesn't take into consideration the Newmar Comfort Steer either. I'm just trying to take about an apples to apples comparison.