Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
We now have a tag with about 18k on it. I agree with the points made, more CCC, more rubber on the road, 2 more brakes (can't have enough braking ability), better straight line drivability (think double axle trailer vs single axle) and would add a tag generally provides a better drive line angle for the u-joints, engine is further back from the drive axle. Down side is a greater tail wag angle, tire cost and a little less maneuverability. I would not go back.
+ 1 Well stated
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
+ 1 Well stated
I tried to post earlier today, but lost internet connection just as trying to post! Will not repeat what I had in that post, as it has been covered well.

I will say I'm surprised at the comment on less maneuverability. Yes, watch out for the rear end, as the tail swing is a bit more with a tag.

The reason for the higher tail swing, is usually a tag's drive wheels are set further forward to make room for the tag. (Thus the reason for the mentioned better drive shaft to angles.).

With the drive wheels set forward, the turning radius is, again usually, much tighter on a tag coach then a non tag coach - all things being equal on length, say 40', and the other major factor, the angle of cut ability of the steers. No question, that a IFS has a tighter angle cut then a straight beam.

Also as mentioned, their is a cost penalty associated to tags longer term usage. Tires every 6-8 years, and for those that keep to coach long enough, maybe brakes too. All wheel alignment is a bit higher costs too.

The often not mentioned other penalty, is the ongoing lower MPG due to the extra weight of the tags. And those 40' + coaches with a midsize engine, ISC/ISL CAT C7/C9 - the extra weight does reduce the power to weight ratio. So, if shopping for a tag coach - go BIG BLOCK if you can. (Usually get better MPG with the BIG BLOCK, as the engine is working easier to do the job. And, great other added safety benefit of large displacement Jake braking horsepower too.)

Oh, and to quote Executive from RV.Net, on a long ago thread about Tag's - Tag's just look sexy!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #17

Tag without a doubt. I always take pros vs. cons into account. As stated previously two additional tires with breaks, tracking is straighter, the weight of the additional axel is a bonus in winding conditions, in the event of a blow-out with a single dually you loose 50% of your tires (think about that), with the tag you may not even realize what happened until your TPMS or passerby vehicles alert you to a blown tire. Yes maintenance is slightly higher but breaks and tires last along time. Safety is my main concern.
Good luck
Old 09-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Some coaches are different regading where the drive and tag axles are located. On my coach the wheel base (front axle to dually axle) is the same as on a previous 40' coach. The drive wheels on Fleetwoods are not moved forward on coaches with tags. This coach is 4' longer than the previous coach, and every inch is behind the dually axle. Turning radius is up to the chassis manufacturer...it is 60 degrees in this coach.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
... The drive wheels on Fleetwoods are not moved forward on coaches with tags. This coach is 4' longer than the previous coach, and every inch is behind the dually axle. Turning radius is up to the chassis manufacturer...it is 60 degrees in this coach.
But, by being 4' longer, that moves the engine back. Effectively moving the axle proportionally forward and improving the drive line angles.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:36 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Of the last 4 Type A MH's we've had starting in '98 two have been tag axle units and two single axle units.
The first tag unit was a '98 Santara 35', it was OK.
The next two were non-tag units a 38 and then a 41' both were Dutch Stars and both handled well.
The last is a 45' 50,000# unit with tag, It is the best handling and riding of the four, but that's as it should be due to it's weight, quality and cost. There is no way to get a 45' 50,000# RV without a tag.
With other things being equal like length and weight and the loss of storage area, I'd still go with a tag axle unit though.
As to the maneuverability? The 45' Magna handles slow turns as well or better than the 40' Dutch Star due to the liftable tag as long as I remember to push the switch. The wheelbase with the tag up is just about the same as the shorter Dutch Star and we have a couple more degrees of wheel cut. 52° now vs 50° with the DSDP. However, as was mentioned earlier, the tail swing has to be watched due to the tail being longer now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #21

IMHO, the single axle coaches are far more sensitive to weight distribution and the quality of the chassis. Our daughter's family has a very nice new 40 foot four slide single axle coach on a Freightliner chassis. You can see our coach in my signature. My wife and I, as well as the Grand-kids, will take the ride in our coach. It's simply much more stable, not that theirs is bad.

I also have considerable experience driving single & tandem axle trucks. The tandem axle trucks were always much more stable.

A single axle can do well, but I'll take a tandem or tag axle rig any day.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #22

Had 2, now 3 axels.
Test drive them!
End of message.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Once you get to a certain length, you'll be forced to get a tag, so there is no discussion on the longer coaches.

Here is a new twist....The 2016 Newmar Dutch Star now comes with a steerable tag. The steerable tag allows the coach to turn even tighter than an identical wheelbase coach with or without a tag.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #24

The tag is installed mostly for the weight since there is cost and loss of storage. Our coach is 17500 front , 20500 drive and 10800 tag so based on those weights there was no choice but add a third axle. As far as handling,we left the ocean last weekend in the nw and the wind was gusting to 80mph. We were able to run with very little push. It was more a problem dealing with falling trees and rain. I have had both and I would say handling a bit better but its a heavier coach so with the variables changing its hard to make a solid statement . I do like my current setup and would not make any changes.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:18 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 36' with a tag axel. Yes there's extra tires and brakes to keep up with, but the difference in the ride makes the tag axel well worth it IMHO. My MH is much more stable and rides smoother with the third axel and I've had no issues cornering with it. A good set of shocks is also critical. Whether you go with a two, or three axel set up good shocks are a huge benefit for for ride comfort and coach control. I run Konis on my rig. While a bit pricey I believe with the Konis you are getting what you pay for. They don't make a shock that fits my tag axel so I put Bilsteins on the tag. All in all we enjoy the comfort afforded by the tag axel, combined with good shocks and stabilizers. Another thing to keep in mind is the proper loading of your MH. Keep the weight down low and it will sway much less in bad winds, or with passing semis. There is a lot to keep in mind when dealing with a larger motorhome. All of which can overwhelm you if you let it. Using common sense and running what you are comfortable with, two or three axel, will go a long way in leaving you a satisfied owner/driver.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've been convinced. My next will be a tag
Old 09-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #27

LOL All I hear from the DP crowd is how wonderful they handle, smooth ride etc etc. Now one has to get a tag axle so they won't be affected by crosswinds. My lowly gasser has no handling problems at all. So much misinfo on these forums. Makes your head spin in circles.
Ps was at a transit garage full of diesel buses with 20 mechanics and they all indicated the new pollution controls cause huge headaches for reliability. I will keep my V10 gasser which requires almost zero maint. for a long long time.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
LOL All I hear from the DP crowd is how wonderful they handle, smooth ride etc etc. Now one has to get a tag axle so they won't be affected by crosswinds. My lowly gasser has no handling problems at all. So much misinfo on these forums. Makes your head spin in circles.
Ps was at a transit garage full of diesel buses with 20 mechanics and they all indicated the new pollution controls cause huge headaches for reliability. I will keep my V10 gasser which requires almost zero maint. for a long long time.
X2, Do you people realize why there is a "Tag" axle? How many more square feet of siding/billboard is there on a 42-45 Coach with a Tag for the crosswind to hit?....Better Ride, goes straighter down the road, more braking....smh