Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

There are so many differences between any two coaches that (in my opinion) it is impossible to state with any assurance why any one coach handles better than another. The tag equipped coaches are longer and the wheel base is different, but a different coach often has a different front end, and in some cases a different style suspension (e.g. the Roadmaster 8 bag vs Spartan/Ftl 4 bag systems). The rear overhang may be longer or shorter, depending on the specific chassis chosen for the coach. A well designed 40 footer will shrug off nasty crosswinds, tag or no.

But the whole subject is academic, since what you really choose is the length and carrying capacity of the coach. If it's big enough, or weighs enough vs axle capacity, it will have a tag. If not, it won't. It's not an option you choose off a list.

Back in the day, some 36-40 ft coaches had tags because their rear axles would be overloaded without them. I don't think any current-day 40 ft coach uses a tag, since the readily available chassis, whether gas or diesel, can easily accommodate the weight of a coach that size.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There are so many differences between any two coaches that (in my opinion) it is impossible to state with any assurance why any one coach handles better than another. The tag equipped coaches are longer and the wheel base is different, but a different coach often has a different front end, and in some cases a different style suspension (e.g. the Roadmaster 8 bag vs Spartan/Ftl 4 bag systems). The rear overhang may be longer or shorter, depending on the specific chassis chosen for the coach. A well designed 40 footer will shrug off nasty crosswinds, tag or no.

But the whole subject is academic, since what you really choose is the length and carrying capacity of the coach. If it's big enough, or weighs enough vs axle capacity, it will have a tag. If not, it won't. It's not an option you choose off a list.

Back in the day, some 36-40 ft coaches had tags because their rear axles would be overloaded without them. I don't think any current-day 40 ft coach uses a tag, since the readily available chassis, whether gas or diesel, can easily accommodate the weight of a coach that size.
Well put
Old 09-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't think any current-day 40 ft coach uses a tag, since the readily available chassis, whether gas or diesel, can easily accommodate the weight of a coach that size.
Newmar uses the FL chassis and lots of their 40' rigs come with a tag.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
X2, Do you people realize why there is a "Tag" axle? How many more square feet of siding/billboard is there on a 42-45 Coach with a Tag for the crosswind to hit?....Better Ride, goes straighter down the road, more braking....smh
I have been to more RV shows than I care to remember. I have talked to probably every chassis manufacturer out there. Every rep I have talked to says the Tag is there for weight carrying period.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I have been to more RV shows than I care to remember. I have talked to probably every chassis manufacturer out there. Every rep I have talked to says the Tag is there for weight carrying period.
Thank You!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #34
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Absolutely......the tag is there to make the coach LEGAL going down the road. If the rear axle weight exceeds 22K....you HAVE to have a tag. With that said.....it's ridiculous to state that it's the only reason or benefit. No matter how much you want to argue your single axle coach drives as well as a tag, there is still more braking and straight line tracking with a tag. A tag will also turn sharper than the same length coach without one. Now with the advent of the steerable tag, they can turn in even shorter distances than before.

Even more laughable is someone stating they're glad they got an overloaded gas coach because apparently all diesels need a tag to handle better. Just another ridiculous statement.

Why do so many here need to justify what they bought, by criticizing others. I had a non tag coach for nine years and loved it. I spent several thousand dollars to make it ride and handle how I wanted and expected it to. I made a decision that I wanted the next coach to have certain standard features, so I wouldn't have to add them or live without them. That included a tag. Within six months of ownership, I changed out all six shocks and eventually added Centramatics to all three axles. Does that make my diesel a piece of junk, not worthy of a gas coach???? No, it says I'm more finicky than others and want my coach to handle the best it possibly can. It's just like a hot rod. You're always doing some performance upgrades, while some just like to drive what they buy and never know the difference.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #35

It's 42, w/tag, and great right out of the box. Done!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #36

The people that say a tag is not beneficial or needed on a gas MH have no idea what they are talking about. I went from a 34' Adventurer to a 36' Discovery back in 1996. We liked the ride of the DP, but both were susceptible to cross winds and semi's passing. The Discovery had de-lamination problems and traded for a 36' 1998 Pace Arrow Vision with a tag axle. It was a dream to drive in all conditions. Much better than the 34' Adventurer without a tag. Since then we have had three single axle 40' DP's. They drove and handled fine, but cross winds and semi's moved them around. Our current 43' (closer to 44') DP with a tag is the smoothest, nicest handling coach we have ever owned. The cross wind has to be over 20 mph before I notice it and have run in 30-35 mph cross winds with little stress. We do not feel the semi's at all. When I pull our 26' 12,000# enclosed trailer the winds are even less noticeable. We have made our decision to never go back to a non-tag coach.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Absolutely......the tag is there to make the coach LEGAL going down the road. If the rear axle weight exceeds 22K....you HAVE to have a tag. With that said.....it's ridiculous to state that it's the only reason or benefit. No matter how much you want to argue your single axle coach drives as well as a tag, there is still more braking and straight line tracking with a tag. A tag will also turn sharper than the same length coach without one. Now with the advent of the steerable tag, they can turn in even shorter distances than before.

Even more laughable is someone stating they're glad they got an overloaded gas coach because apparently all diesels need a tag to handle better. Just another ridiculous statement.

Why do so many here need to justify what they bought, by criticizing others. I had a non tag coach for nine years and loved it. I spent several thousand dollars to make it ride and handle how I wanted and expected it to. I made a decision that I wanted the next coach to have certain standard features, so I wouldn't have to add them or live without them. That included a tag. Within six months of ownership, I changed out all six shocks and eventually added Centramatics to all three axles. Does that make my diesel a piece of junk, not worthy of a gas coach???? No, it says I'm more finicky than others and want my coach to handle the best it possibly can. It's just like a hot rod. You're always doing some performance upgrades, while some just like to drive what they buy and never know the difference.

Now Don, it's not about performance of ride - it's all about capacity of beer and wine, that matters. Tag's were never intended to cover for overweight conditions of the owner and how they load their coaches. They're only for CYA of the coach builder to not have an overweight rear axle as the coach leaves the factory floor...

Centrimantics? Your throwing your funds away on snake oil. Might as well add Air Tabs too. Heck, I bet you even pay to have your wheels balanced when new tires to on.

New shocks? You're cutting corners, unless you have MCU's form Super Steer. (Or today, with Source Engineerings air check valves, a better design.)

And sir, with much continued tongue in cheek, if you would only wax your coach more frequently, using Nano Technology Based products - you would find the winds not only part as you drive down the road. But yes, actually come up from behind with a gentle push - good for at least another 3.787MPG!

Next thing, Don (A member we all follow and listen to.), you'll tell us that you inflate your tires to the plague on your coach's recommendations, vast the four corner weight and tire manufacturer's recommendation. Shocking, absolutely shocking!

Hey Don - All kidding aside, it's good to see a seasoned vet like you. Talking about the importance of handling. Spending the coin to improve the handling. These are big rig's we're driving, and every bit of improved handling we can obtain, IMO, provides an improvement in safety. Not just for us, but for those around us too.

Best to you,
Smitty
(04 Country Coach Allure, Road Kings, Super Steer Motion Control units, Centramatics on all axles, Tier 1 Tires with PSI set based upon four corner weight PSI + 5lbs PSI higher, all wheel alignment, attempts of safely pumping more power out our ISL of enhanced safety related acceleration capability, and not yet - but Airtabs when we get our coach painted!)

(IF NOT CLEAR, FULL POST WAS A FUN POKE AT THOSE OF US THAT SPEND THE $$ TO ENHANCE HANDLING PERFORMANCE!) (WISH MORE WOULD DO SO TOO!!!)
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #38

We don't have a tag and haven't been pushed around by trucks or wind. 2014 3634 Newmar Ventana - comfort drive is the best. Our first motorhome was a lightweight 35' gasser - it was a nightmare, we feared for our lives in that thing. If we ever go full-time we will go bigger with a tag so we can carry more.
miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #39

41' single rear axle.

Crosswinds? What crosswinds? They are not a big deal in this coach.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #40

Howdy- I haven't owned a single rear axle class A RV (just a class C) so I can't give an accurate comparison like others, however our 36' gas Aerbus has a tag and I love it. It rides extremely smooth with the tag and air suspension, is stable and I have had no problems whatsoever with winds or passing trucks. I also think the tag really makes the rig look incredibly awesome. I guess I'm sold on a tag based on my experience so far.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Most tag axle MH are heavier and longer.

Our single axle is 31,000 lbs at 38' long on a Gillig Bus chassis. Probably heavier than most similar single axle rigs.

Not much wind effect except in crossing North Dakota where the strong wind blew broadside all day long.

I have no tag axle experience.

So, perhaps one needs to evaluate the single axle performance responses in terms of "how heavy is the rig" on that single axle?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Coming from a 34' gasser that had handling issues and after spending over $3,000 in handling improvements (which helped), I wanted to make sure that my next coach had everything possible to help in the handling department while being no longer than 40'. I was able to find that in my current coach with IFS, big 305 tires, tag axle and, Comfort Drive. I couldn't be happier!!!
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote