Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

Tag Vs Single axle

Hopefully i have posted correctly this time. I would appreciate feedback from persons that have owned both single and tag axle units. I currently own a HR Endeavor , 40' , ISL 400 with single axle. Quite frankly, even though I have driven rigs of all sizes , the cross winds freak me out. I met a real good fellow who had a super nice 43-45' rig and he told me he has owned both single and now tag. He said he would never, ever go back to single axle due to ride comfort and most important stability. Well sure enough another gent told me its hogwash and drive to conditions and save yourself big $ for maintainance such as additional tires. Well.......yup , a third opinion was " I have a tag and now if I get tired wife drives and I sleep like a baby for a few hours , not startled by sudden movement from wind or road conditions......??? Probably a lot of Pro's and Con's but from reading this forum i know there are a bunch of people that have the miles under their belt with both and experience is the best teacher. Thanks !
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Opinions? You want opinions? You have just opened Pandora's Box.
Why not ask which is better gasser or diesel?
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #3

We now have a 2 axle 41' handles as good as the 3 axle, (maybe cause its a Spartan) lots of basement storage, better fuel mileage, two less Tires and brake set up to deal with...to each his own.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Opinions? You want opinions? You have just opened Pandora's Box.
Why not ask which is better gasser or diesel?
X2 Lol
Old 09-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

Very amusing , I know the difference between gas and diesel from being VP of a company with 175 trucks. I am however new to the RV world with only one year under my belt. At 63 years old i just want to get the best unit for safe , enjoyable travelling.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what you're looking for as it seems you've answered the question in your post already. You don't like the single axle 40' coach you have now in crosswinds, yet one person told you it was/is hogwash. Who's opinion is more valuable, your personal experience or some random "gent"? To your question; I have owned single axle MH's in the past but for the last 18+ years a 42' tag has been my choice, my son recently bought a 40' tag, and neither of us would choose to go back to a single axle. A tag does have two more tires and some additional maintenance items but you also have more braking capability, better ride & stability, and better weight distribution... all in my opinion of course. You likely will get many other comments but in the end, your expectations, experience, and requirements are all that matters. Be safe, have fun, and enjoy your travels!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Single here. Crosswinds are not a problem once I replaced the shocks with new ones.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Just to be clear, I have not owned both.
We have a single axle 40'.
A tag would be better in extreme conditions.
Just my opinion.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
We have owned a 40' Mandalay FL/cummins single rear. We now own a 43' Newmar Spartan/cummins dual rear. I honestly found no big difference in drivability between the two. Both were heavy coaches and set up well and were nice drivers. No big differences in getting in and out of camping spaces. My opinion is: tag axle is nice-if just for peace of mind in your case and the Newmar comfort drive is a good enough reason to steer toward a newmar brand- new or used. You will get lots of opinion, they are just that and now you have mine! hope this helps-mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #10

Understand the confusion, talk to three people, and you'll get 4 opinions - unless your in DC, then you'll get however many opinions it takes to get your vote or money!

Do a search on Tag, and you'll find lots of older good informative posts.

So here is my opinion:

I prefer a tag for the following reasons: More CCC; More stability going down the roads in all conditions; Two extra sets of brakes; Tighter turning radius, with the tag's up (Tag coaches, have the drive wheels set closer to the steers, thus a tighter radius then non tag.); And finally, as Executive said a few years ago on RV.Net - Tag's just look sexy!!!

I pay for the above, with extra two tires every 6-8 years. And, the extra weight of the tags, will hit your MPG and impact your Power to Weight Ratio's. (In my case, a ISL370 flashed to ISL400, would run a bit easier up the hills without the extra weight of a tag. But, knew this going in.) So, if buying a Tag coach, suggest a BIG BLOCK engine (for more reasons then just power to climb hills, especially having a more robust Jake Compression Braking HP from the higher displacement).

On cross winds, I'm a true believer in Air Tabs. Lots of posts where many consider them snake oil. But I felt the difference and was much more comfortable while driving in shifting cross winds with Air Tabs, this was on a small T-28 Bounder. Kept the rear of the coach cleaner too, as well as the toad. When we wait the rear of our coach (Dark maroon paint going to be changed over to a lighter color for ease of maintenance and reduced heat gain.) I'll again add Air Tabs and have them painted to match the new rear paint scheme. Doubt much improvement in cross winds, as the tag 40' Dynomax chassis with Road Kings and Super Steer Motion Control Units keep me very stable and comfortable going down the road. But more for the cleaner rear end and toad.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #11

I have owned (2) single and (1) tag. The 34' gasser was all over the road. The 38' Forest River Georgetown XL gasser with the large chassis and 22.5 tires was just fine. It did not get kicked by most wind and seldom got pushed by a semi passing. The 42' CC Intrigue with the tag axle does not even know there is a wind and semi's are not even a concern. All that said make sure the suspension is up to date, the shocks and alignment OK, the tires good with the proper air pressure. The tires not being pressurized correctly could be your biggest problem. If you are using the rated pressure on the sticker in the coach you are very likely over pressure and that will cause the rv to wander.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #12

Everyone has different tolerances and motorhomes. Some people on this board talk about their DP's riding harshly, etc.

Me, I've got a Spartan Mountain Master chassis and it not only rides smoothly (I can and do travel with things on our standalone table and they don't fall off) but driving it in crosswinds less than 35mph is a one handed operation (and I've driven it with two hands in much higher winds). Big rigs on normal days don't disturb the motorhome at all.

But I wouldn't argue a tag will handle crosswinds better -- it will. But at the point where the crosswind starts unfurling my window awnings (and yes, in Wyoming on one of those two handed 55mph crosswind days that happened!), there comes a point where even I wonder why I'm driving

Steve
Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #13

My last two DP's were not tag models and the reason we have one now is we were seeking a 42' coach. Like the tag so far.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #14

We now have a tag with about 18k on it. I agree with the points made, more CCC, more rubber on the road, 2 more brakes (can't have enough braking ability), better straight line drivability (think double axle trailer vs single axle) and would add a tag generally provides a better drive line angle for the u-joints, engine is further back from the drive axle. Down side is a greater tail wag angle, tire cost and a little less maneuverability. I would not go back.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote