Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Tags with bunk beds?

I am looking at moving up to a tag axle but I want one with bunk beds. So far the only ones I have found are the Forest River Charleston 43 and Discover 42A but of the four 42As in the area none have the bunk beds.
Does anyone know of any other tags with bunk beds? Why the bunk beds? DW likes them because of the grandchildren, we have an Astoria bunk model because she thinks the grandkids like them, but they are growing up and I find that as long as they are onboard, they are just as happy on a sleeping.
I like to get an early start on the road and secure the water and sewer and retrack the slides before I sleep I have come to like them for the availability of a bed without having to drag out the sleeper sofa.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #2

Jimmy, I to have been researching for months, those two are the only one I found too. I think that the Fleetwood is the best option so far. If you find another please post it.
Horst-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
TGR

These are a bit smaller, but Tiffin makes a 35' gas unit with bunks (I have one of these and love it). Tiffin also makes a 38' diesel with bunks.

I don't know if either would work for you, but they might be worth a look.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
These are a bit smaller, but Tiffin makes a 35' gas unit with bunks (I have one of these and love it). Tiffin also makes a 38' diesel with bunks.

I don't know if either would work for you, but they might be worth a look.
Thanks i am driving an Astoria PE with bunks. I wanted to trade up to a tag axle and keep the bunks.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The problem with bunks is the seem to put them less than 2 inches from the adult sleeping quarters. We had them when the kids (twins) were younger but when they got a little older, both the kids and us appreciated the apposing couches in the front that easily turned into beds. I wanted a tag and although we have not really had a chance to use ours yet, I think I am going to like it.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #6

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the Newmar Ventana 4043 tag axle diesel pusher. Before I purchased our 2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QKH(bunk) coach I thought seriously about the Newmar Ventana w/tag. This coach with "Comfort Drive" sounded like a great coach. I decided to go with the Tiffin for the following reason(s): there was no Newmar dealer close by and the closest Newmar dealer had no stock to speak of and no Ventana to look at. The bunk beds in the Newmar Ventana were not as wide as the Phaeton. Finally, I was concerned about the additional complexity and maintenance costs that a Tag coach would have over a non-tag. That being said I have heard very good things about Newmar and the quality of their coaches. I am very happy with my Tiffin but the Tag Newmar w/bunks was/is worth taking a look at.
montblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I really like Newmar as a manufacturer but of the 3 floorplans, the 42A would easily be my 1st choice (I think the 1 1/2 baths plus the separate bedroom is fantastic), then the 430BH and then the 4034 a distant third. I don't like that the 4043 only has a recliner (not even a desk with it) and it looks like it would be awfully tight to walkthrough to the back when the slides are in (although I'm not sure if you can fully open the 42A bathroom door with the slides in either and you probably have to go over the bed to get to the back).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #8

MichelB is right on. The reason most of us need a bunk model is because we have extra travelers on board. The extra half bath on the 42a is very useful. A added bonus is that it is a very useful size. Somebody can easily go in there and change clothes, etc.

Second advantage- the rear bunk bedroom and master bedroom are separated by a full bath. The two are not right next to each other. Additionally, this bunk area has no slides. It is always accessible and usable by the kids. On some models the kids can't get to their things or have their own "space" unless the slide is out. That is not the case w the 42a.

The half bath door does open up enough for most people to enter the bath while slides are retracted. And yes, you do have to climb over bed to get to rear of coach when slides are closed.

One last suggestion. Take a hard look at getting a queen bed if u have the option. We purchased ours with a king and spent good money having it converted to a queen. Much more useable space with a queen in our opinion.

Safe travels.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tags