Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

Tail Light Assembly Removal

I have a 2012 31 ft Hurricane and just noticed that the tail light assembly on the passengers side is loose, how do I remove it without damage so that I can see what is wrong. Thanks
Beacoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If the lens is held in by screws, the first step would be to remove the screws and lens to see if there are other screws behind the lens that need tightening. Can you see the back of the taillight from underneath, looking up behind the bumper?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Bob and Donna, yes that would be the logical thing to do but there are no screws that hold the lens on, the taillight is high up and can't be seen from underneath, I called Thor and apparently it is a sealed unit and can't be opened, there also is no way to get at it from inside the storage at the back, I could likely cut a hole to gain access but it seems very solid. Anyway I didn't really want to do that so I have just used some clear caulking to hold it in place, I just hope that I ever need to replace a bulb, very poor design to say the least, oh and according to Thor the light is out of a Dodge Ram, but the couldn't tell me what year?
Beacoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Tail light bulb

My 2011 Huricane brake light burnt out. Are you saying the fixture is glued in?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's a video on how to remove the tail light assembly on a Dodge Ram. Now you'll have to figure out access to the two torx screws that hold it in.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #6

On my rv, to get to the tail light assembly you have to get access inside the rear cap. My light assembly is held in the cap by bolts. To change a tail light you remove the back part of the assembly with the 4 Phillips screws like shown in the video. Thor decided for my rv that one set preside was not enough. They put 2 sets.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #7

Tail light removal

Thanks, BFlinn181 and koda59, for the info! The thing that was confusing was that there is no access to the tail light from inside my coach's rear storage directly behind the light assembly and there are no screws visibly holding the light fixture on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail Light 5.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	90043

As it turns out...the assembly just pops off if you tug hard enough on it.

Name:	Tail Light 4.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	90044

There are arms attached to the light assy where the Dodge would normally have screws holding it on that hold it into place. It seems that this is the same fixture that goes on 2002-2006 Dodge RAM 1500 trucks

Name:	Tail Light 8.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	90045

My light bulb started working after I popped it out! I think it had a little corrosion on it. I was going to change it anyway (while it is out) but then again... it is super easy to get to.

The OP (Original Poster) said his tail light was loose? There are rubber gromets that are supposed to hold it into place...maybe yours are missing? The part number for the fixture is DEPO 334 1906R (or 1906L for the other side).
Old 03-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #8

Loose Tail Light

Oh yes....I should clarify...You tug on the OUTSIDE of the fixture to get it off. On the right tail light (The passenger side) you would pull on the right side of the fixture (looking towards the front of the coach) and opposite for the left tail light.

The bulb is a 3057.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks, RonVBT, for sharing the information and the photos. You might want to pull the bulbs and 'buff' them on some denim or fine grit sandpaper. Also, contact cleaner spray is a good idea into the socket.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For those that are not aware, the late model Thor Hurricane/Windsport uses sealed LED tail light assemblies. They are supposedly good for 20,000 hours of use before the bulbs start to burn out. The vast majority of folks will never have to deal with their tail lights.

However, way before those 20,000 hours of bulb use, some unfortunate people find that moisture has found it's way inside, (through one of the "not so-hermetically sealed plastic welds", or through the electrical wire hole in the back, (where the original two-sided tape adhesive wasn't adhering). They are replaceable as a complete unit, but there is no way to get inside one without destroying the welded plastic seal.

If it does become unstuck from the endcap, (probably due to an air bubble from not being aggressively pushed on during assembly), any moisture or dust will render the adhesive useless and it will eventually, (very slowly, or ridiculously fast, take your pick), continue to come off until it's dangling from the wire.

If one comes loose, I would probably try some Heavy Duty exterior-grade waterproof 3M two sided tape after cleaning the endcap surface and the back of the lens assembly. The two sided tape that was originally used by the taillight assembly OEM was probably the same or very similar stuff.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
For those that are not aware, the late model Thor Hurricane/Windsport uses sealed LED tail light assemblies. They are supposedly good for 20,000 hours of use before the bulbs start to burn out. The vast majority of folks will never have to deal with their tail lights.

However, way before those 20,000 hours of bulb use, some unfortunate people find that moisture has found it's way inside, (through one of the "not so-hermetically sealed plastic welds", or through the electrical wire hole in the back, (where the original two-sided tape adhesive wasn't adhering). They are replaceable as a complete unit, but there is no way to get inside one without destroying the welded plastic seal.

If it does become unstuck from the endcap, (probably due to an air bubble from not being aggressively pushed on during assembly), any moisture or dust will render the adhesive useless and it will eventually, (very slowly, or ridiculously fast, take your pick), continue to come off until it's dangling from the wire.

If one comes loose, I would probably try some Heavy Duty exterior-grade waterproof 3M two sided tape after cleaning the endcap surface and the back of the lens assembly. The two sided tape that was originally used by the taillight assembly OEM was probably the same or very similar stuff.
How do you remove/replace those tail lamps?
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #12

following

need to replace. Anyone know of source to purchase the led bars.
ChrisJoyceKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal