Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #1

Tail Light MYSTERY for American MH

Many of us have done it; backing into a spot and hit a branch that juts into otherwise free space. Anyway, I lost one of my tail light lenses that are Hella Designline style.

OK, since there are 10 of those on my rear cap, call American and order up a new lens, right? Nope, NLA. Since these appeared on many models for a number of years, call a few salvage yards, right? So far, nobody has what should be piling up on their shelves.

Anybody have knowledge of where to get one of these? here are some photos and the lens is 5 x 7.5", with HNZ 01 and SAE R 94 on it? The one I need is from the lowest row of clear light lenses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	113234   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	113235  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:08 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
>>>Hella Designline Rear Clear Reversing Lens 9 2041 01 Suit Jumbo Tail Light X1 | eBay
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

Thanks, Chuck. That's all I've been able to come up with, too. Shipping from Oz kind of kills that deal, even when the seller offered to reduce it from $56 to $38.

I keep holding hope that one of the 6 salvage yards I contacted will come through.....
Old 12-03-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

Well Rick,
If your back-up tail light lens (assuming that's what you need) is completely shot/broken/destroyed beyond repair and, you cannot find one here locally (U.S. that is), here's maybe a suggestion in the mean time.

I'd maybe go get some 1/4" or 3/8" thick (can't quite tell how thick the original lens is) Polycarbonate sheeting and, simply make one. I worked with Polycarbonate for a few years and, it's quite workable. It's primarily the same stuff that prison windows and many other windows etc. are made of because, unlike its sister, Plexiglass, it's basically shatter-proof.

Plexiglass is more scratch resistant but, can break upon impact or, while working it, i.e. cutting/drilling etc. You can beat on a piece of Polycarbonate with a hammer all day and, all you'll do is mar it. Now, because it will be noticeably different than the remaining three other clear lenses, you can make two of them and replace the same one on the other side to match the one you're replacing on the effected side. I can't quite tell by the pictures from the link but it appears that the lens may be convex on the outside but, the mating surface appears to be flat which, is a good thing when the idea of making one comes to mind.

You can keep it this way 'till you find a regular lens in a salvage yard or another supplier. This way, your housing and bulb will be protected and, usable while you're still searching. Just an idea for you to think about.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #5

Read that E bay ad again free ship and with the exchange rate it should be about 13-15 U.S.
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hard for us to think of our 12-13 year old, high dollar coaches as "obsolete models", but getting body parts can be a real challenge. Heck, even some chassis parts. I had a difficult time getting the AC cabinet shop to build my old cherry wood dash console, and they claim they do that (build to order). I guess they do, but after waiting 5 months and not even a delivery date established, we gave up and had a local cabinet shop repair the damaged one. Fortunately the AC fiberglass shop came through with the new lower front cap we needed - after a 4 month wait.

For lights and other body accessory parts, ask AC for the original manufacturer and OEM part number, so you know what to ask for when contacting the original supplier. Often they are still available if you know what to ask for.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Rick,
I think you'll find that the used parts places will want to sell the Entire fixture with the lenses.
Way back when ( 2003 ) I replaced my old sun faded Hella tail light lenses with new- they were $ 20 ea x 6 and I bought them direct from Hella after quite a few e-mails practically begging them to let me purchase.
AC told me then that they were discontinued.
I don't believe I would cut a pc of plex to replace that really nice lens.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Right now the exchange rate is 73 cents per AU dollar. That reduces your cost by 27%.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
Read that E bay ad again free ship and with the exchange rate it should be about 13-15 U.S.
My eyeglasses are cheap, so maybe not reading it correctly but....

Postage: AU $56.05 AusPost Express Courier International | See details

Item location:
St Albans, Victoria, Australia

I'll pony up a $20 right away for a lens or a light assembly (they're little cheap housings with a 2-nut R&R) when I can find a source.

In the meantime, the old lens has been patched where two of the four mountings are secure. That doesn't make it correct, but corrects the immediate function of making the coach look less laughable to the danged squirrels that Buster the wonder dog can't chase away.

Looks like I'll have to try harder to find the Hella manufacturer tomorrow. A quick try this morning didn't work out so well, since auto parts seller Rock Auto was listed as a distributor, but that went nowhere fast.

Anybody else have an idea?

Tags
light