Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #1

Tailgate requirement

Going to tailgate at a Big10 game Saturday for a day of family fun. One time only activity. A listed requirement is if we plan on using our generator we must vent it up as tall as the roof. Looking for some inexpensive ideas on how to do this for a 2016 Bounder 35K. Also could this harm the generator? I'm thinking pvc.
Geriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

A Gen Turi is a commercial product that does as you describe. There are also multiple links to folks that have made their own, like this one.

Use Google to find more variations on the idea.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Tailgate requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriann View Post
Going to tailgate at a Big10 game Saturday for a day of family fun. One time only activity. A listed requirement is if we plan on using our generator we must vent it up as tall as the roof. Looking for some inexpensive ideas on how to do this for a 2016 Bounder 35K. Also could this harm the generator? I'm thinking pvc.

If you made something like the genturi it would be fine.
Genturi is PVC with a steel tube at the exhaust it directs the exhaust up the pvc tube like a chimney.

Name:   IMG_2420.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  14.2 KB

Directly attaching a pipe running to roof may not be good on generator.

Be safe make sure your CO2 detectors are working.

Btw
We use a Genturi. They work great for any of those times we are parked and using the generator for an extended amount of time.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PVC would probably melt from the heat

Look for something called EMT electrical conduit. Very thin lightweight and cheap
Available at Home Depot and Lowe's

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
PVC would probably melt from the heat

Look for something called EMT electrical conduit. Very thin lightweight and cheap
Available at Home Depot and Lowe's
Thanks. Will do.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
A Gen Turi uses the movement of the exhaust gases to pull outside air into the metal tube at the bottom. By the time the mixed exhaust and outside air gets to the plastic, it's cooled down enough to prevent melting. Gen Turi is based on a venturi, look it up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A Gen Turi uses the movement of the exhaust gases to pull outside air into the metal tube at the bottom. By the time the mixed exhaust and outside air gets to the plastic, it's cooled down enough to prevent melting. Gen Turi is based on a venturi, look it up.
Reading about it now, thanks.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #8

Look in the irv2.com classifieds. I remember seeing a Genturi for sale several years ago for $50. There may be one there again. A new Genturi is $115,
or make your own for much less.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriann View Post
Thanks. Will do.
Geriann,
I did just what you're looking for. I went to Home Depot, purchased an EMT conduit 90 degree bend, that was either inch and a quarter or, inch and a half, I forgot. (take a measurement of your exhaust pipe on your gen to make sure) Then, I also purchased some gutter down spout. I think it comes in either an 8' or 10'. I made an adapter that went from the EMT conduit to the entrance to the down spout. Pretty simple actually. For stabilization, I used the suction cup from my Go Pro camera to actually hold that down spout in the vertical position. I have pictures of it all but, again, that lousy, rotten PHOTOBUCKET has ceased to allow us to post our photos on here. I think you'd like it. I think, all in all, I had around $15 in the system or so.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Look in the irv2.com classifieds. I remember seeing a Genturi for sale several years ago for $50. There may be one there again. A new Genturi is $115,
or make your own for much less.
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Geriann,
I did just what you're looking for. I went to Home Depot, purchased an EMT conduit 90 degree bend, that was either inch and a quarter or, inch and a half, I forgot. (take a measurement of your exhaust pipe on your gen to make sure) Then, I also purchased some gutter down spout. I think it comes in either an 8' or 10'. I made an adapter that went from the EMT conduit to the entrance to the down spout. Pretty simple actually. For stabilization, I used the suction cup from my Go Pro camera to actually hold that down spout in the vertical position. I have pictures of it all but, again, that lousy, rotten PHOTOBUCKET has ceased to allow us to post our photos on here. I think you'd like it. I think, all in all, I had around $15 in the system or so.
Scott
Great, thanks. Will go tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Geriann,
Scott
Was the downspout plastic or aluminum?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:48 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just my personal opinion, but you can get these on sale at Camping World and other places. For anyone that knows me, they know that I fabricate just about anything I need. With that said, I think the Genturi is one of the few items that you should just buy their product. By the time you make parts and spend your time, there really isn't a big savings.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Save your time and effort and pick up a Genturi. Love having ours.