Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #1

tailgater satelite antenna

Dish Network has a device called Tailgater which replaces the satelite dish when traveling. Does anyone have any experience with this antenna system? Is this a Dish exclusive? Does it work well?

Dish tells me there is no setup. Just plug in the cable from the tailgater to the tv and you are in business.

I appreciate any advice on this

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #2

This is a modified, DISH NETWORK only, VuCube. It will only work with a VIP211K Dish receiver. As long as you have a clear view of the south to south western sky it will work like any other portable automatic dome antenna.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

Thanks lllkrob for the info. It is almost impossible to get full and essential information from the call center reps until you have gone on contract. These people work on commission and their objective is to sell not to volunteer any info not neccessary to that objective. ( I don't really blame them, that is their livelyhood). But it is a headache for the consumer.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

After years of beating our heads against a wall, using a rooftop dome, we bought a Tailgater last week.
It's for Dish network only. It says to use only use it with a 211k, which is what we already had.
The dealer we bought it from said to unplug the receiver, attach the provided cable to the Tailgater, attach the other end to the receiver, then plug the receiver back in. This allows the receiver to recognize the tailgater software.
The receiver's software must be up to date, ours is L550.
When you plug the receiver back in, the tv screen will ask you where you are at. Highlight your location from the list of locations, the click on scan with your receivers remote. Then let it do it's thing. (We had to do this twice, not sure why). It took about 30 minutes to get all 3 satellites.
The Tailgater finds 3 satellites, 110, 119, & 129. But only tunes in 1 at a time. When you change to a channel using a different satellite, it will switch to that satellite. Works great. Only supports 1 receiver, though.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaynMary
After years of beating our heads against a wall, using a rooftop dome, we bought a Tailgater last week.
It's for Dish network only. It says to use only use it with a 211k, which is what we already had.
The dealer we bought it from said to unplug the receiver, attach the provided cable to the Tailgater, attach the other end to the receiver, then plug the receiver back in. This allows the receiver to recognize the tailgater software.
The receiver's software must be up to date, ours is L550.
When you plug the receiver back in, the tv screen will ask you where you are at. Highlight your location from the list of locations, the click on scan with your receivers remote. Then let it do it's thing. (We had to do this twice, not sure why). It took about 30 minutes to get all 3 satellites.
The Tailgater finds 3 satellites, 110, 119, & 129. But only tunes in 1 at a time. When you change to a channel using a different satellite, it will switch to that satellite. Works great. Only supports 1 receiver, though.
Hi
I believe if you can get sat 110, than you can use this vqube with direct tv........I have a vqube and it can be used right out of the box to receive either dish net or direct which ever you choose.
As a matter of fact, I have a dome on my coach and I traded in my direct tv manual dish on a tripod for a vqube as my back up when I can't get a good enough signal with the dome. I find the vqube very effective.......but you have to be careful if you have it on the ground.......sometime things seem to grow legs. I have a long enough cable w/lock to make a little deterrent......nothing that is total 100 percent theft proof.
It takesme all of 10 minutes to find a sat and locked on.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #6

we are planning to go from cable to satelite. also we will get the tailgater to use when we travel. is there a significant difference between programing, signal reliability and price from dish and direct. we have had dish, no complaints , but never had direct.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #7

what is the price of the tailgater? is it the same from a dealer as it is from dish ?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Winegard Carryout works with either Dish or Direct. On Dish it will receive HD on Direct it will only receive SD. I don't have HD tv in the MH so it doesn't matter. I takes less than a minute to find the Direct sat. I also use a 50' cable and lock so it won't grow legs.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDY212 View Post
what is the price of the tailgater? is it the same from a dealer as it is from dish ?

regular price is $350.00, from dish or a supplier. PPL has them plus others.

i have dish net but i wouldn't want to be stuck with only one option.

have had diect and liked them too. i use a king dome on roof and carry a 18 in dish for emg..
supermod38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
Hi
I believe if you can get sat 110, than you can use this vqube with direct tv........I have a vqube and it can be used right out of the box to receive either dish net or direct which ever you choose.
DirecTV no longer uses 110 for USA programs.
All their SD programs are on the 101 satellite.
vqube won't receive the DTV HD satellites at 99/102.8
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I just wish these "Carryout" units could view two or more satellites simultaneously. I don't see any benefit if you are using a dual tuner receiver.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56
DirecTV no longer uses 110 for USA programs.
All their SD programs are on the 101 satellite.
vqube won't receive the DTV HD satellites at 99/102.8
Your absolutely right......direct tv is using the 101sat.........
Old 12-28-2011, 05:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I just wish these "Carryout" units could view two or more satellites simultaneously. I don't see any benefit if you are using a dual tuner receiver.

fred
Hi
I believe King Dome sells 3 models of the Vuqube....the 1000 is just a plug and play for 1 receiver.....than they have a 2nd model that you can use 2 seperate receivers, but you need to have a second wire for a 12 volt power source to operate the qube, and the 3rd model is a in-motion model, They both can be used with either Direct tv or Dish....
My personal position on Direct vs. Dish is .....Direct requires only the 101 sat....Dish has 2 sats you can use, therefore once I have found the 101 Direct tv a sat, I am a happy camper.
I got lucky, I found my " qube " on craigslist from a gentleman who bought it and could not get it to work and sold it in the original box cable still coiled w/all the tags for 250.00 dollars shipped to me in Fl from Co.
I called Kingdome for tech support and the problem was he must have pushed so many options to set it up that he locked the system up....after a few minutes with the tech, the problem was solved......again a happy camper I am.
jim
Old 12-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
Hi
I believe King Dome sells 3 models of the Vuqube....the 1000 is just a plug and play for 1 receiver.....than they have a 2nd model that you can use 2 seperate receivers, but you need to have a second wire for a 12 volt power source to operate the qube, and the 3rd model is a in-motion model, They both can be used with either Direct tv or Dish....
My personal position on Direct vs. Dish is .....Direct requires only the 101 sat....Dish has 2 sats you can use, therefore once I have found the 101 Direct tv a sat, I am a happy camper.
I got lucky, I found my " qube " on craigslist from a gentleman who bought it and could not get it to work and sold it in the original box cable still coiled w/all the tags for 250.00 dollars shipped to me in Fl from Co.
I called Kingdome for tech support and the problem was he must have pushed so many options to set it up that he locked the system up....after a few minutes with the tech, the problem was solved......again a happy camper I am.
jim
Thanks for the info Jim, however the King Dome web site makes no mention of a multi-tunner compatible unit.

Jim, I did some additional searching on the King Dome site, while the unit isn't mentioned on the main page, a downloadable manual for additional units could fit my needs.--Thanks

fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna