Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #1

I was searching ebay around for a nice, older low milage RV, and i came apon this 1988 Elandan, im not sure exactly what the elandan is, but i took a look at this motor home, since its in my neck of the woods. The floor was done really well and looks really nice. I really didnt find a flaw with it, they took me for a ride in it, brakes were good, everything seemed great. But im not exactly what to look for in these types of vehicles, im looking to spend maybe $6,000 on such a vehicle. If you guys see anything i didnt see in the photos let me know please. Im gonna bid on this vehicle i think. It also has really low milage too, just under 70,000. I appriciate everyones time, and maybe ill see you all on the open road!

Heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...m=&item=200047686636

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #2

I was searching ebay around for a nice, older low milage RV, and i came apon this 1988 Elandan, im not sure exactly what the elandan is, but i took a look at this motor home, since its in my neck of the woods. The floor was done really well and looks really nice. I really didnt find a flaw with it, they took me for a ride in it, brakes were good, everything seemed great. But im not exactly what to look for in these types of vehicles, im looking to spend maybe $6,000 on such a vehicle. If you guys see anything i didnt see in the photos let me know please. Im gonna bid on this vehicle i think. It also has really low milage too, just under 70,000. I appriciate everyones time, and maybe ill see you all on the open road!

Heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...m=&item=200047686636

Old 11-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #3

It seem to be a very clean unit the tires look ok the floor very clean good luck André
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jared, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures. Good luck in your quest to find the right coach for your needs. You may want to do a search here for topics on the Elandon motorhomes. Just click the "Find" button and put in the description and uncheck the small box and click search. Take care and keep us posted on the hunt.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 AM   #5

Needs tires; that's another $1,200. I'd be looking at engine/tranny service records. If the coach has been recently used (say a couple times this past summer), that's good. It's the coaches that don't get used that you'll have constant fix-it issues with.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:17 AM   #6

Jared,

I would also run the generator under a load, as close to it's max as possible. When it's been running for a while and gets up to temperature, shut it down, wait a few minutes and fire it up again.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
It's a clean looking unit, only issue I saw was the rust around the generator which would make me want to probe farther and make a visual inspection of the chassis, springs, steering gear, etc. The 'new' floor looks good, I presume it was replaced to get rid of worn carpeting and not due to any water damage. Might be a good idea to see what's under that 'new' floor if possible.

You might also want to test all the water system including holding tanks. Turn everything on to see what works and what doesn't work.

Good luck on your bidding, even if there is a few things wrong with it you still may be getting a very usable rig at a good price.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

JaredJ, you've gotten some good advice!!

WELCOME to the forum and CONGRATS on your first post!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #9

Jared, The Elandan was manufactured by Winnebago and I believe has roof ac units. In 1990 or 92 they built basically the same coach but named it the "Elante'" however the Elante came with a basement ac unit. They appear to be very nice coaches and somewhat aerodynamic in design.

Good Luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN unless you are very handy, and love to fix things.... IMHO

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:17 AM   #11

Jaredj, it's the parts that you can't see in the pics that I'd be concerned with, i.e. electrical, plumbing systems, guts of the appliances, and the chassis(engine, trans, brakes, etc.). The tires need to be replaced for sure and if it has 6 tires, figure around $300 each for them. It may need to have the wheel bearings packed, full oil change, lube job, belts, hoses, diff. fluid changed, etc. which can run up to several hundred dollars, at least. I'd negogiate to have it inspected at a minimum. Most mobile RV repair companies can do this. Check to see if there's one in your area.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:34 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Jared, there is one pic that shows some stains on the ceiling, near the fridge. I would check that out closely.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:09 PM   #13

After looking at all the pictures, the rust etc. roof stain near microwave, gouge in tire sidewall and not knowing condition of engine and tranny as well as the Onan genset, unless you're prepared to spend another $10,000 to $15,000 for repairs etc., I think I would pass on it.

Good luck with your decision, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
JaredJ, I am a sucker for the older units myself. If it's a DEAL, I'd be tempted to bite. The obvious roof leaks (one in the bedroom too) can be fixed but it may take some talent to repair the interior ceiling, or, just live with it. Drive it, run the gen set, turn on the fridge and test both power sources, if it has airbags in the springs see if they hold air (about $100 fix if you do-it-yourself), shocks are probably shot but once again, Monroes will cost you about $45 apiece and some elbow grease to install. Filter on the Onan looks like it is OLD, probably figure in $50 for filters and oil there. Plugs, plug wires, dist cap, etc, another $100 or so. If it has a 454, they were prone to exhaust manifold warpage or cracking ($450 for Thorley headers will solve this). If it has a 460, the tranny was prone to act up.

Other than that, unless you are planning on a LOT of usage, restoring her will be an admirable undertaking. The roof will clean up, she already has some new covers it appears like. I say bid her up to around $5K and see what happens.

You can also look for an old Barth. Those were (are) some quality motorhomes and very well built. Check Barthmobile.com for leads but you won't find one for $6K (cause if you do, I will have already bought it!). :-)

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote