Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

Taking a long trip without a spare tire

My 2012 Georgetown didn't come with a spare tire. I'm ready to take a 5,000 mi trip out west and am concerned that I don't have a spare tire. Do the RV roadside assistance services carry RV tires ? I have Michelin 235/80R 22.5 tires.
Should I go out and get a tire ? (Rubber only )
melkyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Only if you don't want to waste a day sitting on the side of the road...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Community Administrator

I carried an unmounted spare . As mentioned it will most likely take awhile for someone to get you the proper tire ( if they can ) and it will be very costly as well.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

I bought the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier from the guy who invented it. Bought a new wheel and tire. From what I've read and heard, probably cost about the same as roadside tire service if I can get them to bring out the correct size tire. My Michelun tire company had to order the same size tire you have because they did not stock it. Guess that would be a real problem on the side of the Interstate in a small town area.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many threads here regarding the pros and cons of carrying a spare tire. I carry a mounted spare so as to no have delays, pay a high price, or mismatched / not of my choice tire from roadside assistance.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #6

I had a blowout on a Friday afternoon and had to wait until Tuesday to get the right tire. If I had been willing to not wait for an identical tire I could have been on the road Sat. That was a Goodyear. I switched to Michelin since and they are more available.

I have a bay designed to carry a tire. If I were going out west I would carry a nun mounted spare. They can mount it on the side of the road.

There is usually room to store a tire between the rails but a pain to get to.
big katuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkyev View Post
My 2012 Georgetown didn't come with a spare tire. I'm ready to take a 5,000 mi trip out west and am concerned that I don't have a spare tire. Do the RV roadside assistance services carry RV tires ? I have Michelin 235/80R 22.5 tires.
Should I go out and get a tire ? (Rubber only )
I don't feel you have an unusual tire size. I was in OK a few years back when I had a blowout. My roadside assistance rep found a dealer and truck service to change the tire. They had the one I needed. If all else fails by 2 when needed. Remember, that spare ages at the same rate as the other tires. There are many threads about how to care for your tires. Most of us with experience in this area are now going with diligent prevention. If you don't have a TPMS get one. Inspect your tires before each trip. If you hit a bad pothole or run a curb hard have the tires removed and inspected from the inside out. If a tire starts to wear uneven rotate the tire to another position and get the problem fixed. After about 6 to 10 years replace your tires. Carrying 120# around just in case seems a bit far out to me. But, many folks do just that. In some cases I think the spare laying on it's side for years does damage to it. The manufactures website will give more info on this topic. Michelin has many good publications available on their website.

Happy trials,
Rick Y
Old 05-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
235/80 22.5 is not uncommon, I had a tire blowout, called Good Sam at 8am and was ready to roll at 1:30 pm, Set me back $760.00. That was during my 3rd trip out west. Truckers seldom carry a spare and seem to do just fine going cross country. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #9

Carrying a spare tire is the best insurance not to have a flat---if you have a spare you will most likely not have a flat-- it will be when you don't have a spare that you will have a flat. Murphy's law !! Now that being said I don't carry one??

Russell.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
235/80 22.5 is not uncommon, I had a tire blowout, called Good Sam at 8am and was ready to roll at 1:30 pm, Set me back $760.00. That was during my 3rd trip out west. Truckers seldom carry a spare and seem to do just fine going cross country. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much.
Ditto! I don't worry about it.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #11

Thank you all for your responses...I do use a TPSM and diligently inspect the tire prior to a trip.
melkyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
The tires on my Berkshire are huge... To carry an unmounted tire would totally take up a HUGE portion of my basement storage... When I bought my coach, I paid for a wheel and tire replacement plan. It totally replaces either/both wheel and tire at no cost to me if the need ever arises.... Thankfully, I've never had to use it, BUT if I did, I guess I'd fire up the generator, turn on the AC and wait for help.... I'm taking a 5,000 mile trip myself beginning in July and I won't be carrying a spare - in fact, I've never carried one...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #13

Don't carry a spare either, gone 42,000 miles and just replaced due to age. Proper air presure is a must.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been RV'in g since 1968 with my own rigs and 1957 with my parents. Since 1968 I've never had a need for a spare. And I've never carried one except when we had the '88 Type B Okanagan 17' MH. It came with one and never needed it,
With the present Magna we'd need two different sizes and it would be impossible to carry them. Front and tag are 365/70's and the drive axle has 315/80's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote