Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
falconman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 769
Please post again after the testing as I am in the beginning stages of the process. So far I have found nothing in writing about the requirement to have another licensed driver with you. The only thing the application said was to bring the housecar with you. I would find it ridiculous that the examiner wouldn't be licensed for the class of license he/she would be testing for. Calif seems very mixed up in their non commercial licensing requirements. Air brake test for a Non commercial Class A but none required for a Non Commercial Class B. Yet you need an A license to tow a TT over 10K even if you TV doesn't have air brakes, but you only need a B rating for a 40 ft plus MH with air brakes. There is no special license required for a housecar 40ft and under even though it has the same GVWR of the longer units.
__________________

__________________
Dan & Arlene
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV
Chasing the good weather
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
SteveLevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 1,195
The reason that DMV requires someone that is legally licensed to operate the motorhome is broadly a matter of policy -- to discourage you from driving the coach without the proper license to bring it to the test, and then away again if you don't pass the exam.

They do the same thing with cars. Show up for your driving test without a legal driver and they won't administer the test -- at least, they aren't supposed to do it. Now, in some cases, if you actually *did* get dropped off while someone went off shopping with friends, they will bend the rules a bit (the particular above scenario happened 30 years ago when my friend went to get his license -- his parents left he and I and a car at DMV to wait while they went shopping. I suppose we looked honest. Shows what they know )

Steve
__________________

__________________
The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
falconman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 769
Yea, I get the reasoning but when do they inform you of that requirement as a condition of testing? I'm looking at the class B application and it says nothing. Nothing on their website either. If that's their policy maybe they should share it with the rest of us. I'm curious to see how the original OP did and if a licensed driver went along for the test.
__________________
Dan & Arlene
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV
Chasing the good weather
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pawleys Island SC
Posts: 339
You had better not try to apply logic to any DMV in any state. Logic isn't something they use. They often don't use the same material they give you in your driver's license guide.

I had a tester in the SC DMV tell me that they never looked at that book.

Just believe what people tell you who have gone through the misery!

Good Luck!
Wil
__________________
Wil Andrews
2007 Newmar Kountry Star DP
Cummins ISL, Cummins E-Brake
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
UsualSuspect's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Yea, I get the reasoning but when do they inform you of that requirement as a condition of testing? I'm looking at the class B application and it says nothing. Nothing on their website either. If that's their policy maybe they should share it with the rest of us. I'm curious to see how the original OP did and if a licensed driver went along for the test.
The OP does not have a license, just a Permit. In California if you are driving with a permit, you must have someone licensed with you for the class of vehicle you are driving. If you show up driving, no one else in the rig with you, your are driving a vehicle you are not licensed to drive. DMV wants to make sure you legally arrived, and are able to legally depart if you do not pass. DMV does not require that person to be in the vehicle when you test, they would rather you not ride along. The DMV Examiner cannot perform an examination unless they are qualified to, and they must have the class of license they are testing for, or a higher class. If you look at the DMV site, not every office can test for Class B or Class A, Commercial or Non-Commercial, not every Office has an Examiner that holds that class of license or above.
__________________
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #20
Member
 
2NewRVers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
The OP does not have a license, just a Permit. In California if you are driving with a permit, you must have someone licensed with you for the class of vehicle you are driving. If you show up driving, no one else in the rig with you, your are driving a vehicle you are not licensed to drive. DMV wants to make sure you legally arrived, and are able to legally depart if you do not pass. DMV does not require that person to be in the vehicle when you test, they would rather you not ride along. The DMV Examiner cannot perform an examination unless they are qualified to, and they must have the class of license they are testing for, or a higher class. If you look at the DMV site, not every office can test for Class B or Class A, Commercial or Non-Commercial, not every Office has an Examiner that holds that class of license or above.

Good morning everybody . So I passed the class B non commercial testing yesterday. Just like UsualSuspect said the person who drove with me did not go on the testing . It was over an hour long, 20 plus minutes of safety checking( blinkers, brake lights, head lights, flashers, horn, air brake testing, engine oil and coolant levels) skills testing. Then went for a 30 plus minute drive through town and 5 minute on the freeway. If your low on engine oil or coolant they won't let you go on with the test and if you can't refill them on the spot you will have to reschedule. If anybody has any questions you can post them here or pm me and I would be happy to answer them. Have a great weekend everybody .
__________________
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redding
Posts: 3,412
In the non-commercial Class B road test, was there some form of backing and/or parking test?
__________________
Dean
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
falconman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 769
Thanks for posting back and congratulations! DMV is amazing, oil and coolant check? Interesting, although it's a good idea, that they had you do an air brake test since it specifically states in their handbook is isn't required for a Class B. So in this case did they ask you again about having a driver with you when you arrived?
__________________
Dan & Arlene
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV
Chasing the good weather
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: On the Road
Posts: 1,358
Congratulations!


2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
__________________
2012 Nu Wa 363RSBDA
2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Duoglide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #24
Member
 
2NewRVers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
In the non-commercial Class B road test, was there some form of backing and/or parking test?

Good morning, on the non commercial class B road test and skills test there where MAJOR backing up and parking tasks to perform! WOW glad I passed and really glad it's over.
__________________
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #25
Member
 
2NewRVers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Thanks for posting back and congratulations! DMV is amazing, oil and coolant check? Interesting, although it's a good idea, that they had you do an air brake test since it specifically states in their handbook is isn't required for a Class B. So in this case did they ask you again about having a driver with you when you arrived?

Thanks falconman . They not only ask if the person you brought is licensed in the class of license or better than you are trying to get, they need to see it to verify it. I brought someone who has a class A license. The guy I brought spent 31/2 -4 hours out of his day to help me and wanted nothing in return as he said he is retired. I paid him $140.00 and he kept trying to give it back, I was driving he was my passenger if he wanted a ride home he had to accept the money. I just met the guy the week prior. The guy and myself have the same last name. This guy was so cool and just a nice human being , it was a great day yesterday.
__________________
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #26
Member
 
2NewRVers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
Congratulations!


2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT

Thanks Duoglide! Have a Blessed Day, I know my wife and I are going too.
__________________
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Thirstybear's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Ca. Commercial Driving License Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montblanc View Post
Does the class B non-commercial license in Califonia require an annual physical exam to keep current?
I recently took my Commercial Class B written tests in San Jose, CA and yes the state requires everyone to get a bi-annual medical (which is now documented in a national registry) for commercial A & B licenses. Furthermore, Kalifornia requires you to retake all of your current DMV driving classifications (motorcycle, class C, etc), in addition to all of your written tests for your commercial endorsements.

This state also requires a 10 year driving history check, a TSA background check, a thumb print, vision test, have a fresh picture taken and provide positive verification of both your age and SSN. After you provide all of this information and pass your written tests, you are issued a commercial driving permit, that entitles you only drive while accompanied by a licensed commercial driver.

The important point to remember is that if you are involved in an accident while driving without a commercial driver with you, most likely your insurance carrier will not pay for any damages you sustain to your coach.
__________________
William and Jane
05' Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' PBQ
(Detroit Series 60), 07' Lincoln MKX toad
Thirstybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
srx-6's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirstybear View Post
I recently took my Commercial Class B written tests in San Jose, CA and yes the state requires everyone to get a bi-annual medical (which is now documented in a national registry) for commercial A & B licenses. Furthermore, Kalifornia requires you to retake all of your current DMV driving classifications (motorcycle, class C, etc), in addition to all of your written tests for your commercial endorsements.

This state also requires a 10 year driving history check, a TSA background check, a thumb print, vision test, have a fresh picture taken and provide positive verification of both your age and SSN. After you provide all of this information and pass your written tests, you are issued a commercial driving permit, that entitles you only drive while accompanied by a licensed commercial driver.

The important point to remember is that if you are involved in an accident while driving without a commercial driver with you, most likely your insurance carrier will not pay for any damages you sustain to your coach.
Just curious, why did you get the commercial class B, are you planning on go to work driving a commercial vehicle.
__________________

__________________
JB & MB
2009 Monaco Camelot PDQ
2008 Jeep Wrangler
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
test



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mountain driving Tobefitt Allison Transmission Forum 11 08-14-2014 10:43 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.