Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #29

You only need to get a NON commercial. Class B license. Check it out at ca Dmv
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #30

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
You only need to get a NON commercial. Class B license. Check it out at ca Dmv
You are correct Ross - although I elected to get my Class B commercial, which would allow me to get paid for driving for hire (if the situation ever arose anyway).
Thirstybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Yea, I get the reasoning but when do they inform you of that requirement as a condition of testing? I'm looking at the class B application and it says nothing. Nothing on their website either. If that's their policy maybe they should share it with the rest of us. I'm curious to see how the original OP did and if a licensed driver went along for the test.

Prior to the driving test, you must take the physical/eye exam and pass a written test. Once you do that, they (dmv) provide you with a "learner's permit" that specifically states you must have a licensed driver (of the class of license you are applying for) with you whenever you drive the vehicle.

Hope that clears up that question.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am taking the test on Thursday & driving there alone

I should have an interesting story to tell on Thursday.
During a state of confusion, I was convinced that I needed to get a non-com class B because my rig is over 26000lbs AND the manual says it is 40'5" long.
Another IRV2 member corrected me by pointing out the line that says you can drive anything 40ft or less with a Class C license (no weight restriction for a house car).
Then another poster stated how much confusion there is on how to measure a coach, and that the DMV pretty much goes by the model # which indicates length. The handbook says length does not include safety devices and bumpers. So based on this, I don't think need a license.

However, since I had already paid the license fee, and taken the written test (and Physical), I thought I would still try to get the non-com class B license.
My story will be this....I am driving a 40ft coach, so I am legal getting to the DMV. The spec sheet says 40' 5", so JUST MAYBE, they will administer the driving test...just rolling the dice on that one.

Yes...Thursday will be an interesting day

Dan
Old 11-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, there is lots of confusion on what exactly determines the length of a MH. Actual measured length or mfg'ers model number.

You not only have to take into consideration what the dmv requires but also any law enforcement officer AND your insurance agent/inspector.

I have yet to find anywhere in any literature (dmv and/or state regs) where it states anything about the mfg'ers model number being the determining factor on length. All stipulate a given and worded instruction of "over" 40'. So, even if the dmv agent "pretty much goes by the model number", a LEO may have a different view.....annnnd... if you are unlucky enough to be involved in an accident and your insurance agent/inspector carries around a 50' tape measure (which they do).....you may be opening yourself up to not only a hefty fine for driving a vehicle without the proper license, but also having your insurance cancelled leaving you holding the bag for all repairs and law suits.

I gotta tell ya.... if my coach was a 40' model number but actually was 40'-6" long...I would definitely get the proper license and not take the chance of the above possibilities.

Dan, I think you're very wise and doing the right thing.

Good luck on your driving test.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test