Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #1

Tall Guy Slide Interference -Driver's Seat Adjustment

Looking for input from tall, and short drivers.

Tall from the perspective of the ability to have the driver's seat slide back far enough that one can comfortably drive despite the slide limiting seat travel for tall people. I'm 6'5". It's my perception the slides limit the driver's comfort by not letting the seat slide back as far as I would prefer.

Short from the perspective of the ability for the above condition to also have enough adjustability in pedals, seat, and wheel adjustment for a short driver. My wife is 5'1".

Our interest is in a 34-37' DP, as old as say a 2007 Tiffin 35GH or similar year Country Coach to some newer offerings from Tiffin RED or Newmar Ventana.

Which coaches can cover both needs?

Thanks.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #2

Can't help you on the short problem.. but I used
C channel and raised my seat 4"

Now I can sit with my knees at 90 degrees

tall guys and size 15 shoes always a problem in most ALL Vehicles
Zephyr08Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #3

Tall Guy Slide Interference -Driver's Seat Adjustment

I'm 6'-8" and all my height is in my legs. I thought I had to have the seat position back like I drive my SUV. But I found the distance away from the wheel kept my arms outstretched and fatigued them. So, I find that I actually am more forward and closer to the wheel so that my arms aren't out stretched causing fatigue and I feel like I have greater control over the rig and the road. Having an electric adjustments on the seat is important. So as much as you think you need to be further back you might be surprise if you'll be more comfortable closer to the wheel because the seat height is actually taller. Just my observation, And good luck.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr08Bill View Post
Can't help you on the short problem.. but I used
C channel and raised my seat 4"

Now I can sit with my knees at 90 degrees

tall guys and size 15 shoes always a problem in most ALL Vehicles
I'm 6'-7" and would like to raise the driver seat. Can you post a pic of that modification please?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #5

I didn't make any modifications, Our drivers seat is very firm. Good luck
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I am 6'5" and have no problem with my class a we looked at several C and i could not get the seat back far enough thats why we went with the small A
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm 6'2". I could get enough seat adjustments but the gas and brake pedals were too vertical. I could only press them near the top. They pivot from the bottom on my DP. Cars etc pivot from the top.
After several mods I made wood spacers that are 1-2" thick at the bottom and taper to 0 at the top. Now I can flat foot, heel to toe on both. Safer and more comfortable.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

When my slide is in, my seat back right corner was hitting the trim on the slide so I was not able to move it back all the way and recline the seat. I also noticed I was sitting in the right side of the seat to get a comfortable 'center' feel on the wheel. So I removed the seat (4 bolts) turned it upside down and drilled 4 new holes on the seat rails to allow moving the seat about an inch left. The seat back now clears the slide trim and drops back into the gap between the trim and the left coach wall, providing significantly more leg room and seat back angle comfort. And now I feel I am sitting in the center of the seat and centered on the steering wheel. My Cheap Legroom Fix.
Just be sure to move the seat forward before deploying the slide.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
Looking for input from tall, and short drivers.

Tall from the perspective of the ability to have the driver's seat slide back far enough that one can comfortably drive despite the slide limiting seat travel for tall people. I'm 6'5". It's my perception the slides limit the driver's comfort by not letting the seat slide back as far as I would prefer.

Short from the perspective of the ability for the above condition to also have enough adjustability in pedals, seat, and wheel adjustment for a short driver. My wife is 5'1".

Our interest is in a 34-37' DP, as old as say a 2007 Tiffin 35GH or similar year Country Coach to some newer offerings from Tiffin RED or Newmar Ventana.

Which coaches can cover both needs?

Thanks.
I'm tall too but only 6'1". Seems most cars are built for the 5' 10" and shorter crowd BUT there is help; but maybe only for your toad or family car.
It has always driven me a bit nuts but eventually I found Home
They build seat bracket extensions for a select group of popular cars. Basically, you unbolt the existing seat in your car, bolt the custom bracket extension to the car floor where the existing location is for the original seats, then you bolt the seat to the extended bracket. You can gain several inches (I think about 6 or 7) to your leg room. They are not cheap but they are well made and I give them FIVE STARS.
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #10

A lot of interesting information, but the caveat is it also has to fit my shorty wife and deal with the slide in. There is likely little solution other than to learn to deal with it which is why I am also open to suggestions of coaches that don't possibly have such restrictive slides.

I agree too far away from the wheel would be uncomfortable as well. A rig with adjustable pedals, seat, and steering wheel would be optimum.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Graduated HS at a little over 6'4". Can only stretch to 6'2" now, but my legs haven't shortened. Ours is older (see below) than what you're looking for; we weren't sure we would like the lifestyle so we didn't want to spend big, but I digress. Seat goes back plenty far enough for me, I usually don't drive with it all the way back. I also don't 10 & 2, I hold the wheel at the bottom. It's more relaxing for me. Cruise allows for legs 90 degrees. Foot (13's) occasionally slips off the side of accelerator, but I always drive with shoes on my feet.
DW is 5'2", maybe 5'3" on a good day. Aside from not liking my view from passenger seat she drives in those flip flop style flats and I do not approve but little I say matters. She is a good driver and can adjust the seat where she is comfortable. She only "toes" the accelerator but I think that's a matter of comfort and not short on reach. We did try to put out the slide with the seat back and put about a 3 inch slash in the faux leather on the side of the seat. Lesson learned.
I recently started a post (long legs) on class C's and got some interesting info in case you've thought about those. Hope this helps. Incidentally, we really like the lifestyle. Good luck, Mike
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #12

Thank Mike. Good info here. Looking for that fullt ime lifestyle in 3 years but want to graduate from a 24' Chinook soon. Need a full 80" bed. Will look at your other thread.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #13

I am 6' 5" and my wife is 5'2". The seat on the Essex adjusts to fit both of us. In addition the steering wheel tilts and extends/retracts and so do the pedals. This makes it work for each of us. Our 06 Essex had the same seat arrangements, so I am sure you can find one that works for you.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:21 AM   #14

Thanks Joe. This is good info, however, I don't think Essex made anything in the 35' range. I'll have to dig into that.

Tags
driver, slide