Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tank Flushing

When we need to dump our tanks at some campground they dont provide a water hook up that we can use for our tank washers. I was wondering if anyone has ever rigged something up to use the water faucet in the wet bay to attach to the tank sprayer and use the pump to rinse the tanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I just wait until the next dump spot. I do always put water into the black tank though, so it can slosh around and loosen things up while I drive.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
I just wait until the next dump spot. I do always put water into the black tank though, so it can slosh around and loosen things up while I drive.
DITTO. I conserve that fresh water supply for the apocolypse! (Or a warm shower if I want it) : )
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #4

I doubt it would work well. The onboard water pump can have an output of between 45 psi and 60psi, but the gpm is quite low, usually near 3 gpm.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flushing the tank isn't actually necessary. Just dump, rinse your hose, and move on. You can flush the next time.

While my current RV has the black flush, my previous 2 didn't and I had no issues for 27 years. When water was available, I used a homemade pvc rinser wand down the toilet, but if water wasn't available, then I just made sure that the tank was nearly full, then dumped. It doesn't have to be "clean", just empty.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #6

Our prior class C didn't have a tank flush, so I'd dump it then stand on the pedal long enough to get five or so gallons in it then dump again. The second dump was cleaner than the first I know we didn't get it all that way, but I'd rinse it every few months at home with a wand down the toilet. We do, however, have a way to dump at home.

We travel with a few gallons in it too just to keep things from drying to concrete
Old 04-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #7

I forgot something, if you do not empty your black until it is at least 3/4 full, and have used enough flushing water to keep solids covered, you should never have any issue with a clogged tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #8

Yes I have a short hose I attach to a faucet in the wet bay to the tank rinser for that purpose. It beats carrying around a long hose to run another line to the outside faucet so I use it even when connected to full hookups. Since its part of the coach water system it will work with the water pump if necessary.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #9

Regardless of how full the tanks are when I am ready to pull away from a site I fill both tanks to the top before I dump either one. When I get to the dump station I dump the black tank first followed by the gray tank.
If there is no one behind me waiting to dump their tanks I put no less than 1/2 tank of water in both waste tanks and dump again. Then I put a few gallons of water in at least the black tank. Same goes for the gray tank depending on how much water I have left in the fresh water tank.
I try to be as courteous as possible when going through the dump line.
I know when I get home I can do the job the way I prefer to. You have to be flexible sometimes.
Lynn
Old 04-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwrench View Post
When we need to dump our tanks at some campground they dont provide a water hook up that we can use for our tank washers. I was wondering if anyone has ever rigged something up to use the water faucet in the wet bay to attach to the tank sprayer and use the pump to rinse the tanks.
Yes, I have a short hose in my wet bay with one end connected to a tap there and quick connect on the other end that can easily snap onto my tank rinse inlet.

It is equipped with a anti-backflow valve and its disconnected from the flush system when not in use. It also provides a handy rinse hose for dealing with any spillage, such as leaking waste hose seals.

Yes, it does take a little longer to fill/flush the black tank but I also don't need to get and recoil an additional flush hose. I have a second set of gauges in my wet bay so I simply use this system for filling the black for a fluish and sit back and relax while waiting.

Tags
tank