Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #1

Tank Valve Lubricant

I'm told that I should dump my tanks and then add a lubricant of some sort to keep the valve seals in good shape. I see commercial products available for this but hear that any vegetable oil works just as well. Any comments about what to use or not to use?

Jim
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Put some vegetable oil on a piece of glass and let it sit for a couple of days. It will get sticky and gummy and this is something you don't want for tank valves. I use plain old water and plenty of it when I flush the tanks. so as to wash everything out of the seals. No problems with 13 year old valves.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #3

X2, I just make sure I rinse out the tanks and valves with plenty of water and and then dump a couple of gallons of water back in the tank.

Chris
atamians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #4

I think you'd have to use a lot of oil. Since it will float on water, it will first coat the tank walls and sensors, any remaining might attach to the seals as it drains. In 30 years I've never had a drain valve seal fail because of lack of lubrication. I have had one fail because it got paper stuck in the blade groove; lesson learned- do not close valve until tank is empty.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:17 AM   #5

A little silicone or dry lube on t handle slide rods is all it takes soap is a good lube if you think the blades are sticking and will help keep sensors clean but as stated before water a lot of rinsing every time you dump tanks.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #6

This idea does not lubricate the seals, but it sure helped me. About one year after installing new dump valves, they began to get stiff when opening and closing. I thought, wonderful, I get to put new valves in again (my favorite hobby). Then I read about a simple repair on this forum.

Drill a small hole above the pull rod on the dump valve narrow plastic end (see white arrow on pic for drill hole location) and spray in silicone lubricant with plastic tube on can, plug the hole with a small sheet metal screw. The valve instantly began to work like new and continued to for a long time. When needed again, remove screw, spray silicone, put screw back in hole. Note........ do this repair with empty tanks.
Attached Images

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #7

Questions George R:

The small hole is drilled parallel to the valve pull rod? Just above the rod? Where exactly does the silicone spray go? Why is this any better than spraying the rod itself and running it in and out to spread the silicone? Why plug the hole ?

Jim
Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
Questions George R:

The small hole is drilled parallel to the valve pull rod? yes Just above the rod? yes about half inch, see pic Where exactly does the silicone spray go? in the drilled hole into the cavity of the dump valve body Why is this any better than spraying the rod itself and running it in and out to spread the silicone? this worked great for me, i am guessing the silicone hits the slide a bit also Why plug the hole ? if a seal fails i presume waste fluid could come out the small drill hole ..... as i stated i learned of this here on iRV2 and just replicated what someone else did ..... i have been very pleased with my results

Jim
===
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #9

Thanks for that additional info George!

Jim
Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
Questions George R:

The small hole is drilled parallel to the valve pull rod? Just above the rod? Where exactly does the silicone spray go? Why is this any better than spraying the rod itself and running it in and out to spread the silicone? Why plug the hole ?

Jim
X-2
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Several years ago there was a post for gray/black water valves. Drill a hole the size of a regular car grommet screw in the grommet. Using one of the small grease guns fill it with Vaseline pump it in. Do not have to do this very often.
r cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
valve lube

thetford company makes lube you put in toilet and down drain for gray tank to lube and soften drain valve. it worked for me.
stevemiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Alemite grease fitting

Several years ago there was a post for gray/black water sticky valves. Drill a hole the size of a regular car alemite screw in the alemite. Using one of the small grease guns fill it with Vaseline pump it in. Do not have to do this very often. Works immediately and for a long time. Reposting due to wort word used grommet instead of ale mite.
r cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by r cogburn View Post
Several years ago there was a post for gray/black water sticky valves. Drill a hole the size of a regular car alemite screw in the alemite. Using one of the small grease guns fill it with Vaseline pump it in. Do not have to do this very often. Works immediately and for a long time. Reposting due to wort word used grommet instead of ale mite.
I saw that post and did exactly that very thing to my last 3 motor homes. I have a grease gun with synthetic grease and grease them once a year. It works like a charm. I put enough grease in the first time to get enough grease in the valve body so it lubricates both the rod and gate.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank