Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #1

Tankless water heater

Anyone have any experience on installing a tankless heater Would it fit into the same cutout the present Atwood water heater is ? Has anybody done this conversion themselves ? And what and where to purchase one for a RV ?
Thanks

donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #2

I don't know about them, but here is a link:
RV Tankless Water Heater from Girard - PPL Motor Homes

There seem to be plenty of places to buy one, and it seems to be designed to install where a conventional tank would go.

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Anyone have any experience on installing a tankless heater Would it fit into the same cutout the present Atwood water heater is ? Has anybody done this conversion themselves ? And what and where to purchase one for a RV ?
Thanks
I bought one online for a Fleetwood Pace Arrow and it fit in the existing cutout "kinda". I had to do some mods but they were minor. The biggest problem was that the old water heater leaked and swelled the wood floor underneath it making the fit a lot tighter than it should have been.
I bought mine here, and keep in mind you'll need an adapter kit for about 50 bucks. I thought it worked pretty good.
Girard Tankless RV Water Heater - RV Water Heaters - Water Heaters - RV Appliances
You could also google the part numbers and see if you can find them cheaper, but I found DyersRV had the best price at the time.
Good luck!
Gary
Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don and Maxine,

You can do a search of tankless systems in these forums and find some eye-opening information. In my opinion, I would ask myself why I want one before getting into it- you could save yourself some money and heartache later.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Don and Maxine,

You can do a search of tankless systems in these forums and find some eye-opening information. In my opinion, I would ask myself why I want one before getting into it- you could save yourself some money and heartache later.
Seems like I heard about them not working so well(for an rv) or to that effect someplace on this forum. Your right I may not want to go there.
Thanks all....
Old 01-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Seems like I heard about them not working so well(for an rv) or to that effect someplace on this forum. Your right I may not want to go there.
Thanks all....
Ok went to the discussion site on tankless water heaters....Think I'll hold off on this project sounds like it could be expensive and not work too well in an RV I'll stick with the one that came with the moho.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don and Maxine,

I think you made a wise decision. Like everything else, these things evolve and maybe someday it will be better.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Don and Maxine
I have a 2012 MH with a tankless water heater by Precision Temp. I've had 2 failures since Sept 2011. Easily repaired but.....

One thing with the tankless water heater is you never run out of hot water, as long as you have propane. They only operate on Propane. It's also difficult to conserve water because in order to heat the water you need water to flow at a certain rate.
If I had it to do again I would NOT have gotten a tankless water heater.

Bob
Sequim, WA
Old 01-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
ahhhh damnit.....i really wanted this to be a workable solution for my rig.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #10

I just happened on a press release that Precision Temp and Atwood have teamed up to develop a new On-Demand (tankless) unit to be sold by Atwood. I didn't find anything on either web site yet, but you may want to watch for announcements.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #11

Can't address the Motorhome situation for tankless water heaters, but have had one in our stick built home for over 5 years, and have LOVED IT

I don't think it would be a good item yet... for the MH. As one of the posters said, it only lights when a certain flow rate is exceeded. From a home standpoint it saves a lot of money as it is not heating water when it is not needed. Ours is a Bosch unit rated to replace a 40 gallon tank, and it has done so remarkably. Our water is hard here in Chaffee, when you cut yourself you don't bleed, just rust over

A lot of people told me that it wouldn't last the water would plug it up. Hasn't happened ...yet knock on wood.

Would really be interested to see the model by Atwood when it comes out.

Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #12

I have installed 4 tankless heaters in properties owned by my family. One of the things each one said in the installation instructions was that the unit was not to be installed in a motor home or trailer. I don't know what the difference is between a tankless unit designed for a MH vs the stick house model. I do know that they use a LOT of gas when operating and suspect that the risk of an explosion or fire would be higher than for a conventional tank model. I have a regular heater in the MH and see no problems with it. I view it as a water-saving device because anyone taking a long shower will be using too much water anyway.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
One thing you have to remember whether you put a tankless in a house or RV is just because you have "endless" hotwater does not mean that you should use endless hotwater. You will negate any savings if you start to just use way more water than before.

Oh and for those looking at putting one in a S&B you should really look at the electirc ones. No they are not energy star rated but thats not because they are not as good as the gas ones. On the contrary they are usually better - http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...max_052907.pdf

Tags
heater, water