Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tarps on Your MH at a CG?

So just like the salt, in time, Will "devour" your chassis when Camping out at the Coast. What do y'all do when there are no trees and you're staying in CGs in Texas or Az or NV, where the Sun beats down on your Roof ALL DAY LOOONG? The CGs I've been to all had trees, so I never gave much thought to it. But while doing research I've come across some CG's that don't have a tree for miles, lol. What do you do to protect your roof? will the CG let you put a Tarp over the full length of the roof? (you may have to cut some openings for the A/C).
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Our motorhome has a one-piece fiberglass roof that's about 10 years old.

As an experienced fiberglass repair guy in the marine world, I've always viewed the outer layer of fiberglass (usually gelcoat) as a sacrificial layer that protects the composite structure from wear and UV damage. Our roof's original, very thin gelcoat was just about burned off when we bought the coach last year, so we recoated the roof.

That coating is our sun protection and, in another 10 years (or whenever the time comes), we'll recoat it again. I keep the roof clean, but I don't wax it or add any additional UV protectants as a part of regular maintenance.

Edit to add: I DO, however, use 303 UV protectant on the AC shrouds, fan covers, and skylights. I apply that about once a month when I go up on the roof to do a check of the sealants.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #3

With RV parks having 10-years and newer rules and things like that I have to think putting a tarp over your coach is going to be an uphill battle. Just about every park I've ever seen has something about no tarps listed in the rules.

The problem is even if you put it on your coach nice and neat, it they weren't disallowed someone would be living under one strung from trees with 10 people.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

You will have to cut holes for ACs, sewer vents, TV antennas, sky lights, hatch, .....

If you have a roof rack, that could cause water to pond up there.

Then there is the ropes and bleach bottles or bungy cord holding it down. What about the flapping in the wind ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #5

MH's are built to be used and you can't keep them in indoor storage forever. The roofs are of high quality and built to last for years whether or not they are exposed to the sun. Our roof is guaranteed for 12 years, the only requirement is that you follow specified maintenance, none of which is keeping it out of the sun. Ours sits outside and the roof, when cleaned, still looks as good as the day we bought it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceNinja View Post
Our motorhome has a one-piece fiberglass roof that's about 10 years old.

As an experienced fiberglass repair guy in the marine world, I've always viewed the outer layer of fiberglass (usually gelcoat) as a sacrificial layer that protects the composite structure from wear and UV damage. Our roof's original, very thin gelcoat was just about burned off when we bought the coach last year, so we recoated the roof.

That coating is our sun protection and, in another 10 years (or whenever the time comes), we'll recoat it again. I keep the roof clean, but I don't wax it or add any additional UV protectants as a part of regular maintenance.

Edit to add: I DO, however, use 303 UV protectant on the AC shrouds, fan covers, and skylights. I apply that about once a month when I go up on the roof to do a check of the sealants.
wow, cool stuff. So how much can I expect to spend every 10 yrs?
Old 06-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
With RV parks having 10-years and newer rules and things like that I have to think putting a tarp over your coach is going to be an uphill battle. Just about every park I've ever seen has something about no tarps listed in the rules.

The problem is even if you put it on your coach nice and neat, it they weren't disallowed someone would be living under one strung from trees with 10 people.
No doubt. so what do you suggest? what do you do to protect your roof?
Old 06-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You will have to cut holes for ACs, sewer vents, TV antennas, sky lights, hatch, .....

If you have a roof rack, that could cause water to pond up there.

Then there is the ropes and bleach bottles or bungy cord holding it down. What about the flapping in the wind ?
No doubt. so what do you suggest? what do you do to protect your roof?
Old 06-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
wow, cool stuff. So how much can I expect to spend every 10 yrs?
It depends on what material your roof is made of and what kind of coating you pick. Since this is our first motorhome and I did the recoating really soon after buying it, I went with an "official" RV product - Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating. I think that, between two gallons of coating and a gallon of pre-treatment/wash, it cost us about $150 after shipping.

Our 40-foot coach took just under 2 gallons after two coats. I think it took me about a day and a half of work (spread over 4-ish days) to power wash, prep, and coat the roof.

With what I've learned since then, I would skip the Dicor pre-treatment, since it's basically SimpleGreen at five times the price.

I'd also skip the Dicor roof coating product and spend the extra money to coat it with a single-part marine urethane topside finish from TotalBoat or Interlux.

The Dicor stuff is really rubbery and stretchy, even after curing, and will start to peel up if you scratch through it. Having experience with the marine urethanes, they would have been a harder, more durable protective coating that's designed for harsh, UV-intense environments, though they wouldn't do as well spanning gaps or filling microcracks as the Dicor coating.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #10

I consider the annual coating of Spring tree sap to be a value adding layer of patina and protection. Nobody sees it but me
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live in Central California where it's very hot. 104 forecast for tomorrow.

My 14 year old coach has never been covered from the full sun all day long and the roof is fine. I see no need to cover it nor treat it.

I wash the roof about three times a year and inspect all the caulking every time. No problems so far.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I live in Central California where it's very hot. 104 forecast for tomorrow.
I used to be a pilot based at KFAT and lived on Ashland at Chestnut Diag. In the summer, opening the front door felt like opening an oven. Phew. I don't miss that heat or the smog, but I sure miss the mountains and the Pacific...

...and, back on the topic of protection for surfaces in the sun, some of our aircraft were 35 years old, stored outdoors on the ramp, and still had the original paint. I'd much rather leave my motorhome out in the sun in Fresno than let it suffer the wrath of a Winter where we live now (Michigan's Upper Peninsula)!
Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceNinja View Post
I used to be a pilot based at KFAT and lived on Ashland at Chestnut Diag. In the summer, opening the front door felt like opening an oven. Phew. I don't miss that heat or the smog, but I sure miss the mountains and the Pacific...

...and, back on the topic of protection for surfaces in the sun, some of our aircraft were 35 years old, stored outdoors on the ramp, and still had the original paint. I'd much rather leave my motorhome out in the sun in Fresno than let it suffer the wrath of a Winter where we live now (Michigan's Upper Peninsula)!
They're flying F22's out of here now. Those babies are LOUD!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I think most campgrounds only allow blue tarps.