Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post

I wish that you could take the rent on a RV storage, but to do so would require the RV to be a business asset and that can be hard to do. You have to have some very, very specific requirements to have an RV in a business.
Yeah, figured that was the case, but just had to ask.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #72

Quote:
Interest on the RV is not deductible for AMT purposes. The instructions include the comment that the interest for a second home is deductible for AMT purposes as long as it is NOT used on a transient basis. If someone has consistently deducted it and not gotten caught, that's fine, but in the event of an audit, to paraphrase the old expression, the fertilizer will hit the ventilator.
When the IRS had auditors, I was audited. It stood the test for a second home. It is not a transient basis, it is my second home. The IRS saw it that way. This is a case of one accountant differing from another, I am afraid.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
How about using the RV for travel for a business? Mileage deduction or just actual expenses?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
How about using the RV for travel for a business? Mileage deduction or just actual expenses?
That is something I am very interested in also. I wish to thank wnytaxman for his insight and explanations.
Sharing knowledge to help others is a wonderful thing on these forms.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Here is some interesting reading I found on this Deductible Lifestyles | RV TAX Deductions
Click on the tab at the top of the page "Section 179" and read also.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub07 View Post
When the IRS had auditors, I was audited. It stood the test for a second home. It is not a transient basis, it is my second home. The IRS saw it that way. This is a case of one accountant differing from another, I am afraid.
Actually this more the differences in IRS auditors than in accountants. The AMT is a very complex area and not a lot of auditors understand it completely. We had a client's miscellaneous itemized deductions audited this past summer. After the auditor had spent all day auditing those expenses, he was shocked when I reminded him that the taxpayer was in the AMT and none of his expenses had been utilized.

The reference I gave you regarding RV interest for AMT purposes was from the IRS instructions. The reality of the form is that most of the mortgage interest deduction for AMT purposes is on the honor system because what is not allowed is not reported to the IRS so it becomes a matter of them not knowing what should be allowed and what should not. Add to that the complexity of the form and you have a perfect storm for errors, either accidental or intended.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Here is some interesting reading I found on this Deductible Lifestyles | RV TAX Deductions
Click on the tab at the top of the page "Section 179" and read also.
Interesting reading but not completely accurate. This brings up the question of business versus hobby. There are very strict rules for what is an actual business and what is a hobby. The article doesn't do a good job of explaining that detail.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #78

Quote:
For an RV to qualify for business purposes you have to show that it is "ordinary and necessary" according to the IRS. So what's ordinary and necessary? It depends on your situation. Keeping in mind the tax perspective of pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. Being a little piggy can be okay, but being a hog can get you in trouble.

Two fairly recent tax cases point out that very fact. One was a couple that used their RV for their business. They travelled all over the US in the RV and operated their business from the RV. They took off the entire rig as an office in home. They got shot down because there was no exclusive office area in the rig. My own take is that used the wrong label for the expense. The second one was a doctor who used the RV as sleeping quarters between shifts at the hospital. He lost on the total deduction but did get the mileage deduction.

One of the big items to keep in mind when looking at trying to use an RV for business is to keep meticulous records of business versus personal use. Showing a substantial amount of personal use can help solidify the business deduction. It shows that your efforts for accuracy are honest and sincere.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #79
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"scep".....apology accepted.....I may have presented it in such a manner as it looked like something I had done.

My neighbors, husband and wife, are both IRS agents. The husband actually wrote a lot of the tax program over the years. The wife was very aggressive and did like to catch big companies doing something wrong.

I also learned over the years that they can make just as many mistakes as do the citizenry. I found when discussing tax situations with them, many things they did were their opinion and could be done differently or argued and won.

Three times in the past 15 years, I received letters stating I didn't do something right or missed something. On all three occasions, I proved my point and received my letter clearing me of any liability.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #80

My accountant (who is very strict) allows us $225 per night that I stay in my RV instead of a hotel for business. It's not hard for me to use my RV 8 nights out of the month.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
My accountant (who is very strict) allows us $225 per night that I stay in my RV instead of a hotel for business. It's not hard for me to use my RV 8 nights out of the month.

What exactly do you mean by "allows us $225 per night that I stay in my RV"? What form and line do you put figure on?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #82

What the accountant is probably doing is allowing the per diem rate, depending on where you are and the "normal" overnight rate for that area. It allows for non-receipted deductions for travel. It would be substantially less than actual expenses for the RV, generally, but it does give you some benefit for having the RV.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
What the accountant is probably doing is allowing the per diem rate, depending on where you are and the "normal" overnight rate for that area. It allows for non-receipted deductions for travel. It would be substantially less than actual expenses for the RV, generally, but it does give you some benefit for having the RV.
I drive my rig to 1/2 dozen races where I work. I get paid for my rescue services as a contractor, not as an employee, and I'm just trying to offset the extra income. Not trying to score big. Is the mileage deduction the same as a car? Also can you do the mileage + the per diem?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #84

Quote:
I drive my rig to 1/2 dozen races where I work. I get paid for my rescue services as a contractor, not as an employee, and I'm just trying to offset the extra income. Not trying to score big. Is the mileage deduction the same as a car? Also can you do the mileage + the per diem?

The per diem is meant to be for lodging and meals. The mileage is a totally separate deduction. This year's per mile rate is $.54 per mile. If you use actual costs you would have to proportion the personal and business miles for all the expenses. Make sure you keep a mileage log showing dates, beginning odometer readings and ending odometer readings. Also definitely hang onto your oil change and inspection receipts which will show the miles you had at any given time.

For any other expenses, make sure you save the individual receipt. The IRS is getting fussy about taking credit card statements and they want to see the print outs from the pump or for any other expenses. That's a pain to save all those flimsy receipts, but it can save you money in the event of an audit.

Ed