Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #15
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Ceramics great for race tracks.
Two completely different animals. On the track, your brakes need to work when they are hot. On the street they need to work when they are cold.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #16
Damon Owners Club
In my experience, and having read extensively on the
subject, ceramic pads are far superior in every way.

macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #17
I do know that all Chevy/GMC HD trucks come with ceramic pads.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My porsche came with ceramic brake pads and they were made to stop you from 160mph.

I had trouble with my truck brake pads when i was pulling a 5th wheel After going down a few mountains the truck would chatter and fill like the calipers were warped. GM service center were going to install ceramic pads to cure that but i sold the 5th wheel before i did that.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #19
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I do know that all Chevy/GMC HD trucks come with ceramic pads.
My 02 Chevy dually came with ceramic. I burned by brakes in AK. In Whitehorse,BC the chevy service dept. installed cheaper sintered metallic pads. Truck doesn't stop nearly as well, especially towing 15,000lbs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pad material has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years. The majority of OE pads are ceramic compounds for many reasons. Some ceramic pads work better than others but just like any product there are different grades and qualities. As a service manager the top customer concerns are Noise, Fade, Dust using a premium quality ceramic pad solves those it also keeps my Techs happy with no comeback issues. Some of the previous comments are correct early and still some cheaper ceramics had cold stopping issues because they shed heat too quickly and did not grab. Ceramics have been our choice when available for the vehicle during the last 5 years with very good results. Some vehicles metallic compound is the only choice and as long as a premium part such as the Napa professional line are used braking should be as good as factory or better. Regardless of compound proper service is the key to good braking results and pad life. Clean lubed and smoothly working calipers coupled with strong retaining hardware keep the pads from dragging building up extra heat and allow good even pad contact when applied. Don't forget changing your brake fluid every few years it absorbs moisture lowering the boiling point and is the #1 cause of brake fade.
jefft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #21
Here is my thought of the day.

If you tow 15,000 lb trailer, with brakes, behind anything, it should stop the same.

If not, then your trailer brakes are useless.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote