Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
How did you get the signal wire from engine to the front ?? Did the pyro gauge
people have a long wire ?? Of course I am assuming you have a diesel pusher and a side radiator .
That and your boost gauge should be standard equipment..
Yes, I have a DP, but it's a rear radiator. I got the pyrometer (actually a turbocator) from ISSPro but had to call them and special order the gauge with a calibrated 40' lead. The stock Turbocator they show on the website comes with a short lead, probably designed for pick-up trucks.

I agree that boost gauges "should" be standard equipment, so should pyrometers as far as I'm concerned, but my 1996 Endeavor didn't ship with either, so here I am.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

If that is a Cummins B5.9 12 valve motor then the intake manifold is integral to the head. On the fuel injector pump side just forward of the pump is plug on the side of the head that plugs a passage into the intake. Unscrew the plug and screw in a fitting for your boost gauge line. No drilling required.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
If that is a Cummins B5.9 12 valve motor then the intake manifold is integral to the head. On the fuel injector pump side just forward of the pump is plug on the side of the head that plugs a passage into the intake. Unscrew the plug and screw in a fitting for your boost gauge line. No drilling required.
Mike,
Yes, it's a Cummins B5.9 2nd generation and since it sits backward in my DP when you say there is a plug "forward" of the pump would that be relative to the engine or the motorhome?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Relative to the mh on the curb side of the motor.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Relative to the mh on the curb side of the motor.
Mike,

I think I've located the plug your referring to, it looks to be maybe 1/8" NPT, just past the fuel pump (i.e. between the pump and the back of the coach). It's somewhat burried under rigid fuel lines, but possible. Naturally, as these things usually go the tubing going to the boost gauge is about 2 inches too short to get to this port but another trip to the store and a 90 degree elbow will fix that.

Right in that same area there two rubber hoses coming off the front of the pump (front as in the front of the moho). One is small, maybe 1/8" ID which loops back into the head, the other looks to be about 1/2" or 3/4" OD that routes over the engine, transitions into rigid steel tubing then down to the turbo on the DS. If these lines are carrying boost I'd really like to tee into one of them as they are right out in the open.

Do these lines ring a bell? I could take a picture, but they appear to be the only two low pressure rubber lines coming off the pump.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

From memory.......that rigid to silicone rubber hose to rigid that goes over the top of the motor and down to the Turbo supplies boost pressure to the waste gate and can be used. Like I said that is not regular rubber but is silicone. Banks uses that side plug you found. I just pushed the rigid lines to one side.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
From memory.......that rigid to silicone rubber hose to rigid that goes over the top of the motor and down to the Turbo supplies boost pressure to the waste gate and can be used. Like I said that is not regular rubber but is silicone. Banks uses that side plug you found. I just pushed the rigid lines to one side.
Ended up using the side plug with a 1/8" street ell to turn the connection up. Popped the throttle a couple of times and got about 5 pounds at the gauge so I'm the connection is good. Won't know for sure till I take it out on the road next time and load it.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I can now check off Install Turbocator from my to do list. That leaves only 376 items left on my list, haven't looked at DW's for a while now
Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
ardbark.. Thanks for the reply .. I haven't looked at Isspro in a while, seems it needs a second look
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #23

Don't know if the manifolds are the same as on a truck, but my `97 12 valve has a 1/8" threaded hole on the fan side of the manifold that goes in towards the head. Just remove the plug and insert the boost sender.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote