Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #1

Telescope Ladders??

Anyone have any experience with telescope ladders? I did a search with no matches. They would surely save a lot a room. I have seem them for sale, 8 and 12 footer for $130 and $160 each. The idea is great but would the hold up for 4 or 5 years???? Looked at the Little Giant but they seem too heavy to deal with. I like fiberglass ladders but don't like the idea of hanging one on the read of the coach. Any ideas?
Recon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have one that I purchased about 3 years ago. I don't use it much, but I have used it. Instead of carrying the extension for the rear mounted ladder (mine is separate) I just use the extension ladder if I need to climb up on the roof. I use it to wash the windshield and to check other things. I enjoy having mine collapse to a manageable size. Mine will reach to just the top edge of the side of the MH, whatever size that is.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

Semper Fi Marine! I'm thinking you have a 8' ladder. I think what I really want is something to stand on that is secure when waxing the sides without having to hand on to something. But, you never know when you might need a ladder.
Recon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Telesteps unit similar to this one: Amazon.com: Telesteps 1800EP Pro 300-Pound Duty Rating Aluminum Telescoping Extension Ladder with Wide Step, 14 1/2 Foot: Home Improvement

I've been using it for over four years. It's in great shape. Our unit didn't come with any kind of ladder, and this one fits easily in the basement. Wouldn't be without it.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Smile

Xtend & Climb 10-1/2-ft Aluminum Extension Ladder

got it from Lowes...each step has a lock on it....DH can now reach all windows and sides....
cost under 160.
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #6

I have two of them and will never leave home with out. Great for cleaning the bugs from the front, applying RainX, great for access to the rear ladder without having to carry the clumsy add on ladder they give you. Takes up far less room than a step ladder.
On the internet for as little as $100 to more than $300
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a 17 ft Werner MT-17 and love it! I can get to the top of a 12' 6" high motor home with it in step ladder form. Easily stores in the basement of the motor home without taking up much space!

Item Dimensions
Weight 39.6 Pounds
Length 7 inches
Width 17 inches
Height 50 inches

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o07_s00_i00
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

I bought one because I just don't trust the strength and the way they mount the ladders from the factory. I only go up the back of my coach and put this ladder along side of the factory one, and you can use the factory ladder to hold onto if needed. Once I climb up to reach the top I secure it to the factory ladder with a piece of Romex wire that I can just twist. That gives me a secure feeling knowing the ladder cant slide sideways when I take that step on top or coming down. I spent a career working in Freeway Bridge construction and was around ladders all the time and know the pitfalls, that sudden stop when you fall off of one hurts and would totally mess up my long awaited retirement I'm enjoying.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #9

Have had ours for 4 years. Use it about once a week.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon4 View Post
Anyone have any experience with telescope ladders? I did a search with no matches. They would surely save a lot a room. I have seem them for sale, 8 and 12 footer for $130 and $160 each. The idea is great but would the hold up for 4 or 5 years???? Looked at the Little Giant but they seem too heavy to deal with. I like fiberglass ladders but don't like the idea of hanging one on the read of the coach. Any ideas?
Six years ago I got a 10.5 footer at Camping World (They were changing suppliers, and for good reason) and the last time I used it was last week, I'm 330 pounds. It is not the only ladder I have and alas it is too short for many uses but if I need to get up TO the roof line (not on the roof) quickly this puppy is great. I use it when waxing on occasion, and I have used it to get up on the roof but .. Well, I can not recommend what I did to do that.

It is a very well built ladder.. It is starting to need a shot of lubrication though.

(Heck only been six years)

The other ladder I have is a 8' step ladder or a 14' extension ladder (convertible) it hangs on a pair of custom made "J" hooks that replaced the joke of a ladder that Damon installed.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon4 View Post
Semper Fi Marine! I'm thinking you have a 8' ladder. I think what I really want is something to stand on that is secure when waxing the sides without having to hand on to something. But, you never know when you might need a ladder.
Semper Fi!

I think mine is more than 8 feet since it reaches to the roof line and the bottom is extended at an angle for climbing. I can climb the ladder against the side of the 12' MH and step onto the top of the MH.

Anyhow, The collapsible works fine for me and my needs. Also, I'm not the trim and lean machine that I once was, but I'm still mean.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We have one but don't use it in the motorhome. My hubby doesn't want to lean a ladder against the side or the windshield, so we bought a 7' folding step ladder that another poster suggested. Similar to this one... Compact Folding Ladders - Product - Camping World
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Just got a CW email - they are 'on sale'

I got one of the 10.5' ones about a year ago:
Xtend and Climb Telescoping Ladders - Product - Camping World

always packed in the basement just in case
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I.ve had the 12.5 foot Xtend telescoping ladder for more than a year and a half now and use it all the time. I weigh in at around 250 bls and it handles me with no problem. It's compact and stores nicely in my pass through bay, on edge, between the roll-out tray and the bulkhead wall. Great deal on Amazon right now with free-shipping.

Amazon.com: Xtend & Climb 770 Aluminum Telescoping Ladder Type II with Aluminum Coupling, 12-1/2-Foot: Home Improvement
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote