Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Television Lifts - Only used when parked?

I really like the concept of coaches that use "televators" - lifts that "pop up" large screen TV's when needed, but allow a clear view from a side window when not in use.

I'm curious if those can allow the TV to be used while traveling down the road? Sure seems to be a better practice that the limited view of the TV in the front overhead with all the slides pulled in.

Also, was curious if they are reliable or cause other problems.

Any information would be very helpful!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Our 2014 Itasca Sunstar 30T has one of those TV's. We were told it was specifically designed to allow viewing during travel. The opposing sofa has seat belts. We are picking up the RV tomorrow, so we will get to see how it really works

Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

I'm curious exactly how large the TV is that's on the lift. They're now putting 45" or bigger (even a slim, lightweight design, that's some serious momentum!).

I'm excited for you! I hope your coach surpasses your highest expectations (green horns of envy appear on top of my head)
Old 11-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of the pop-up TV's I;'ve seen you'd not want them up driving, But it all depends on where they are.

The law says that if the driver can see it, It has to be OFF when driving. ... Usually that means any TV in front of the back of the driver's seat is OFF. A television say six feet BEHIND the driver, even if on the curb side of the coach, should be OK (Less the driver is looking over his shoulder at it when he crashes the ride)

Always remember, there are two types of people:

Homo sapiens Erectus (Man with brain who walks upright)

And Homo non-sapiens erectus (Man without brain who somehow manages to walkupright anyway)

To tell them apart, watch an accident scene, The 1st passes, He may look left and right, The 2nd can turn his head a full 180 degrees so he can catch the last view of the existing crash....... Just before he rear ends the steel hauler in front of him.

(yes that is a joke)

He also turns around in the seat to watch TV.

(A local traffic reporting service was chastized for refering to the 2nd group as "Gawkers".. So I came up with that explanation for 'em.. IN 1978)
Old 11-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a 40" TV on a motorized lift behind the couch. The lift is very sturdy and I would not hesitate to leave it up while traveling if the need arises.

The head-banger is finally GONE!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #6

My 40" tv on the lift will not play when the ignition switch is on.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
That seems really strange! If the TV is in the salon, why would it be protected by an ignition interlock preventing it's display?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
That seems really strange! If the TV is in the salon, why would it be protected by an ignition interlock preventing it's display?
See Post #4.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
You can disconnect the 12 volt wires going into the 120 volt outlet to disable this.

While I do not condone watching TV while driving. There is a good reason to disconnect.

With an in motion satelitte, you can verify you have signal beofre parking in your site. Sometimes a little movement will allow you to shoot between the trees.

Also, on April 27, 2011, when the tornados came through our area, our home had been hit by one at 6:30am (minor damage, but 15 big trees), and the large tornado that went through Tuscaloosa, Alabama was headed our way. The wife and I decided not to have both our homes at the same address. So we ran in the RV. We had the TV on the Weather Channel as we went to three different areas dodging storms. I would have gladly accepted a ticket that day, as there was so much on the line.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #10

I had a cabinet built where the J-couch was with a TV lift. We really like it but have never tried watching while on the road. I'm not sure I ever will since we have a Winegard Traveller dish. I don't think it would be a good idea to put it up going 65mph. But if I had my old dome system I probably could as long as the road was fairly decent.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #11

Let's see... 40 pound tv moving at 60 mph, followed by sudden stop from 40+ mph...

How sturdy did you say that mount was ?

Tags
television