Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #15

Is everyone is such a hurry , wow
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Years back, we were on I-70 heading to California, and I passed an 18-wheeler with a woman driving. They stayed behind me for quite a while. When they passed me, she was on the passenger side. I've always wondered how they did it. Now I know. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sigh...

Not all things that can be done, and often been done, should be done. LOL

It's kinda like the argument that as a child you rode your bicycle without a helmet or drove a car without seat belts or what ever safety practice is NOW taught that wasn't taught "way back in the good ole' days". The question I ask is how many folks didn't survive that would have otherwise?

To say that no one has died from this practice of hot swapping seats while driving is not proof because, quite honestly, I doubt anyone really knows that to be fact. But...I will concede that it appears it is done more often that I would have imagined and there isn't a wave of death and destruction because of it.

When I taught young/new air traffic controllers how to do their job they would often point out how they pulled off a really neat, cool, tricky squeeze play that worked. Yep, it worked but it was seriously flawed from a fundamental point of view. I would say something like you are a "god" to be able to analyze all the factor you had NO CONTROL over and still make it work. I then took them back to the simulator, slightly modified one or two of the factors they couldn't control, had them try that neat trick and watch it blow up in their face. The point I made was that they can often make something that is fundamentally unsound work. They can even make it work until it doesn't. That didn't count the fact that while they were trying to make the ATC version of a Michael Jordan slam dunk work, something else on the other side of the scope was going to heck in a hand basket but that is a whole other story that could apply here but let's keep it simple and forget that part of squeeze plays.

So...hot swapping seats at 65 MPH can be made to work until it doesn't. I'm just sayin'...
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have done this many, many, times, never over 75 mph, and never with blood alcohol level under 2.7 . We no longer practice this after my wife spilled her martini all over the doghouse carpet while trying to get out of her seat to hold the wheel while the cruise control was set, no need for her to even get in the drivers seat,"just hold the wheel, I'll be right back". And of course after an 18 pack/on a long days drive, had to GO many times. Sure, love my wife but I wish she could hold her liquor better,it was getting so I could not depend on her to just hold the wheel without making a mess of the carpet.
And in closing, a deceased singer named Amy winehouse once sang, "they wanna send me to rehab I said NO NO NO ". I always loved that song, not sure why. Ok, I have to go, traffic is getting heavy, have to watch out for all the crazy drivers on the road these days, and I don't want to spill my beer!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
wow......

I just added another check-point to used MH buying. Take a whiff of the front seats.
Great idea using the depends, sniffing the seats....I don't think so. I can't wait until self driving RV's are on the market.

Roll Tide!
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
We have done this many, many, times, never over 75 mph, and never with blood alcohol level under 2.7 . We no longer practice this after my wife spilled her martini all over the doghouse carpet while trying to get out of her seat to hold the wheel while the cruise control was set, no need for her to even get in the drivers seat,"just hold the wheel, I'll be right back". And of course after an 18 pack/on a long days drive, had to GO many times. Sure, love my wife but I wish she could hold her liquor better,it was getting so I could not depend on her to just hold the wheel without making a mess of the carpet.
And in closing, a deceased singer named Amy winehouse once sang, "they wanna send me to rehab I said NO NO NO ". I always loved that song, not sure why. Ok, I have to go, traffic is getting heavy, have to watch out for all the crazy drivers on the road these days, and I don't want to spill my beer!
I laughed so hard, tears.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post

You crack me up!

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 06-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #22

Well! After all, you DO see it in the MOVIES all of the time and we KNOW that if they do it in the movies, it MUST be SO.

Hey--I remember now. Wasn't that in "Dumb and Dumber"??

Of course there could be some chains being yanked here....

MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
Now scott you and I have had flame proof suits for years Will be headed your way in october with 3 wings and rigs might send a pm and meet for lunch.

I did that for years when I was in a hurry but now I have to potty break so two hours is about as far as I go before I get out and check stuff out, Enjoyu don
Hey Don,
Boy, you'd better look me up when you get to our area. Otherwise I'm going to sell my Rampage and go buy one of those aluminum catastrophes.
Looking forward to it.
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
FIRE UP,
Hey MAN!!! Sure glad to see that like minds still do derail simultaneously. Been there done that and still alive to tell the story.

TeJay
Hey good ole' TeJay,
How's the wood working going? (I think you're the one that does that don't you?) Yep, still alive after all these decades of "danger zone" (Theme song in "Top Gun") living.
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
FIRE UP
Well put.

Trying to tell others what they are comfortable doing... (or what they should be afraid of doing), is an exercise in futility, (aka: a waste of time).
IMO, anyone without a little Evil Knievel deep down inside has not lived life to the fullest.

Mel
'96 Safari
Mel,
I've read this same post probably around a dozen times or more in the time I've been on both here and RV.net and, well, it was about time I just said the heck with it. Been there done that a zillion times. It's not my place to tell folks how to live, drive, operate, think, breath, etc. Comfort, ability, experience, and more, dictate how one thinks. If you're not comfortable doing something, well, it to me, is pretty simple, don't do it.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Is everyone is such a hurry , wow
jimmyjnr,
Well, in our case, it has absolutely nothing to do with being in a hurry. If we were in a hurry, we'd drive at a lot faster than the 60-62 that we constantly maintain. To us, it's way more a relief, take a break, work out the kinks, get the strain off the eyes for a short bit, take a different position, take a potty break if needed, and a whole lot more. Like I stated earlier, the only times we do it is when we're going in a straight line, little to "0" traffic in either direction, and all conditions are perfect. When she takes over, I often climb in the co-pilots seat and snooze for a while, about a half hour. That's enough to refresh me so I can take over if and when she needs an "out".
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

To say that no one has died from this practice of hot swapping seats while driving is not proof because, quite honestly, I doubt anyone really knows that to be fact. But...I will concede that it appears it is done more often that I would have imagined and there isn't a wave of death and destruction because of it.
Yeah, unlikely anyone who caused a wreck while doing this, told the cop's " We were just in the proccess of changing drivers" !!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #25

"Stupid is as stupid does."

A person's intelligence may be judged by the wisdom of his or her actions.
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #26
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
You guys can do whatever you want.

Just be courteous enough to let us know what route you're traveling so we can re-route. LOL
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #27

Video or it ain't so.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #28

Problem is in judgment. When is it safe to make the switch? Coming from an airline industry as a pilot I learned we had certain flight restrictions imposed on us to protect the weakest link out there flying. Would I do it myself..yes if there was a capable person to also handle the switch. Does it make it safe for everyone? Nope far from it.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote