Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #43

I know a couple who are both capable drivers and they swap back and forth all day and just stop for fuel at 700-800 miles. I wish my wife would drive the coach and was a capable driver in a heavy rig. I would love to swap every two to three hours for a break and snack. As it is, I stop every few hours and walk around for a break. I think our friends are probably safer on the road with each driving six hours than me behind the wheel eight covering fewer miles.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I know a couple who are both capable drivers and they swap back and forth all day and just stop for fuel at 700-800 miles. I wish my wife would drive the coach and was a capable driver in a heavy rig. I would love to swap every two to three hours for a break and snack. As it is, I stop every few hours and walk around for a break. I think our friends are probably safer on the road with each driving six hours than me behind the wheel eight covering fewer miles.
Same here. The admiral wouldn't drive one of our boats, and she isn't about to agree to drive the bus. I just stop when I feel like it, and don't drive more than 5-6 hours in a day.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
This is much safer than these RETARDS texting as they drive. This is a big advantage of owning a motorhome over a "fiver" !!
old woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #46

And people wonder why I say 75% of the people on the road should have their licenses revoked. So self obsessed they will put other people's lives at risk to save the 2 minutes it would take to stop,switch and go again.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Odd, no-one admits to using a milk jug, but state mowing crews are quite familiar with them.
I would, but the opening is much too small...
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #48

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we were out having a few brews in a '65 Impala SS427 in high school, a cop passed by us. The driver had his license taken away. I witnessed a hot swap of epic proportions, considering there was a console between the bucket seats.

The cop never knew the swap occurred, but did make us pour out our beer and sent us on our way. (this was back in 1969 in a small town. Probably wouldn't play out the same today.)

It's funny this thread was started, because this swap did cross my mind while we were en route to MI from OR.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
When we were out having a few brews in a '65 Impala SS427 in high school, a cop passed by us. The driver had his license taken away. I witnessed a hot swap of epic proportions, considering there was a console between the bucket seats.

The cop never knew the swap occurred, but did make us pour out our beer and sent us on our way. (this was back in 1969 in a small town. Probably wouldn't play out the same today.)

It's funny this thread was started, because this swap did cross my mind while we were en route to MI from OR.
'65 SS 427 Impala? What a dream car! Talk about rare! I've had three '65 SS Impalas only, they were all 327 versions. Along with those, I had four Novas. A '63 two door hard top 6, a '66 SS 350HP 327 , a 67 SS 350HP 327 and, a '70 SS 305 (one of GMs junkiest motors)
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:05 AM   #50

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Odd, no-one admits to using a milk jug, but state mowing crews are quite familiar with them.
When I was out on the highway crews it was baggies of yellow liquid that we usually found although there were some bottles too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:12 AM   #51

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
'65 SS 427 Impala? What a dream car! Talk about rare! I've had three '65 SS Impalas only, they were all 327 versions. Along with those, I had four Novas. A '63 two door hard top 6, a '66 SS 350HP 327 , a 67 SS 350HP 327 and, a '70 SS 305 (one of GMs junkiest motors)
Scott
'67 Camaro with the 350, Swapped it with a '66 Chevell 396 and "rock crusher" 4 speed. That was the NHRA 375 hp factored to 425 and 7000 red line with hyd lifters. 11.99 @ 122 through the mufflers and street tires. Would pull the fronts off the ground on 1-2 shift. Fun car but didn't like towing my 16' TT (overheated) so I traded it on a brand new factory order '69 Buick GS400.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:43 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
When I was out on the highway crews it was baggies of yellow liquid that we usually found although there were some bottles too.
State employee or prisoner?
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
When we were out having a few brews in a '65 Impala SS427 in high
The only MKIV engine available from the factory in '65 was the 396.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:53 AM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
State employee or prisoner?
Is there a difference ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:17 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
'67 Camaro with the 350, Swapped it with a '66 Chevell 396 and "rock crusher" 4 speed. That was the NHRA 375 hp factored to 425 and 7000 red line with hyd lifters. 11.99 @ 122 through the mufflers and street tires. Would pull the fronts off the ground on 1-2 shift. Fun car but didn't like towing my 16' TT (overheated) so I traded it on a brand new factory order '69 Buick GS400.
The 350 engine was not available until '69. Those must have been some special hydraulic lifters and springs not to float valves at that RPM. What were they made of, unobtainium? Pulling the front wheels with street tires...let alone on the 1-2 shift? I am going to see when the M-22 was released, but I don't think it was '66. I had the privilege of driving a $3.5 million '67 L88 Corvette last year and they were about the only Corvettes with "rock crushers" installed. Back in the day we campaigned an 850hp A/Gas Anglia with a Hillborn injected aluminum L88 (now known as a ZL-1) engine. I currently have a '69 427 Corvette that I have totally rebuilt and restored...so I know a little bit about early GM muscle.

What does any of this have to do with things we should not do while driving our motorhomes?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:20 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
The only MKIV engine available from the factory in '65 was the 396.