Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #57

Back on the subject of swapping seats. I think it's a very stupid idea. Too many things could go way wrong. The CC is on and no one has complete control. You might need to swerve to keep form hitting something in the road. Around here there are a lot of car deer accidents. What a bad time to have a blow out. Very bad idea.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
What a bad time to have a blow out. Very bad idea.
Like this?

https://www.facebook.com/LouisianaSt...7741173575805/

More likely scenario would be to drop a tire off the pavement, onto the less than even shoulder. Bad enough when you have both hands on the wheel.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Like this?

More likely scenario would be to drop a tire off the pavement, onto the less than even shoulder. Bad enough when you have both hands on the wheel.
Yup. It's a trip not a marathon. I like to stop, get out and move around every 2-3 hrs.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #60

I don't do it myself (nobody to hand the wheel to...she'd give me the, "have you lost what mind you have?", look)

However, I can't imagine people that do it not having already determined that the road is pretty clear, good shoulders, straight visibility for the next 20 seconds, etc. It seems to be akin to slicing meat; you pay attention.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #61

This is one of those threads where everyone just agrees to disagree. Both sides have their minds made up and don't want to be confused with facts. The good news is that it's a self-correcting problem. I just hope I'm not behind them when they self-destruct.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:03 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Like this?

That is just scary!!
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK, I'm coming back on a more serious note, I have not done the seat swap on the mh, but I have done it in a box van many years ago, in my twenties, fearless, reckless, fun filled twenties. Never,ever, wore a seat belt either till mid eighties. Stuffed a stock car, full bore,flat out into a concrete wall,at 100 mph, remember it like it was yesterday, it was the first trip to the wall for me and was not a picnic. In the pits, before heading home, DUG the seatbealts out from under the seat of the rollback, since then, never drive without them.
There is NOTHING like looking in the mirror the morning after a wreck like that and seeing 4inch bruises running from your shoulders down to your waist, then across your waist to make you feel alive, and thankfully, crotch belt did not come into play. Moral of this story, some things are taught, some things are learned,easy way,hard way,it's up to you.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #64
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
This is one of those threads where everyone just agrees to disagree. Both sides have their minds made up and don't want to be confused with facts. The good news is that it's a self-correcting problem. I just hope I'm not behind them when they self-destruct.
OR coming their way!!!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Sigh...

Not all things that can be done, and often been done, should be done. LOL

It's kinda like the argument that as a child you rode your bicycle without a helmet or drove a car without seat belts or what ever safety practice is NOW taught that wasn't taught "way back in the good ole' days". The question I ask is how many folks didn't survive that would have otherwise?

To say that no one has died from this practice of hot swapping seats while driving is not proof because, quite honestly, I doubt anyone really knows that to be fact. But...I will concede that it appears it is done more often that I would have imagined and there isn't a wave of death and destruction because of it.

When I taught young/new air traffic controllers how to do their job they would often point out how they pulled off a really neat, cool, tricky squeeze play that worked. Yep, it worked but it was seriously flawed from a fundamental point of view. I would say something like you are a "god" to be able to analyze all the factor you had NO CONTROL over and still make it work. I then took them back to the simulator, slightly modified one or two of the factors they couldn't control, had them try that neat trick and watch it blow up in their face. The point I made was that they can often make something that is fundamentally unsound work. They can even make it work until it doesn't. That didn't count the fact that while they were trying to make the ATC version of a Michael Jordan slam dunk work, something else on the other side of the scope was going to heck in a hand basket but that is a whole other story that could apply here but let's keep it simple and forget that part of squeeze plays.

So...hot swapping seats at 65 MPH can be made to work until it doesn't. I'm just sayin'...
WOW - I really like this post. Goes a long way to discount the folks who try to justify running over the speed limits and running overloaded as well.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #66

....while perhaps switching drivers is an easy task with a skilled team, I would never do it....they say they it it only takes one nut to scatter your bolts all over the road and while those of you that done so a zillion times.....it only takes once to regret it....I just hope your lucky enough not to runin anyone else's day.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
And people wonder why I say 75% of the people on the road should have their licenses revoked. So self obsessed they will put other people's lives at risk to save the 2 minutes it would take to stop,switch and go again.
You said it so perfectly, I just wish everyone would listen too and heed your words!

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #68

As was mentioned, those that have done the switch without problems will continue to do it and those who have not will continue to criticize those that do. To relieve a cramp in my leg, I have slid the seat back and stood up behind the wheel and moved around till the cramp was gone, all the time in complete control. At that time while I was standing, someone could slip into the seat, slide it forward and take over the wheel without a problem. If I was going to switch with that method, I would release the CC, to be slowing during he switch. My wife will not drive a DP, so it's a moot point. I have to wonder who presents the greatest risk to others, the experienced couple doing the switch at 60 mph or less on a deserted highway or the guy driving 70-75 because he can and thinks he's in complete control even though he is pushing his tires to their limit?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #69
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
WOW - I really like this post. Goes a long way to discount the folks who try to justify running over the speed limits and running overloaded as well.
Gordon,

I don't think all the things being done wrong in the world are the topic here.
I think that Don is just stating that just because you get away with doing a dangerous act, doesn't mean you'll always get away with it.
I have to agree with him....it's just a matter of time till Ole' Murphy comes around and an epic fail occurs.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
To relieve a cramp in my leg, I have slid the seat back and stood up behind the wheel and moved around till the cramp was gone, all the time in complete control.
There are many who would argue that you were not in complete control while you were standing. If something happened and you had to hit the brakes, how many seconds would your position add to your reaction time? How far would you travel in that time? Would you be able to stop in time?

There is a difference between staying in your lane and being in complete control.

Quote:
I have to wonder who presents the greatest risk to others, the experienced couple doing the switch at 60 mph or less on a deserted highway or the guy driving 70-75 because he can and thinks he's in complete control even though he is pushing his tires to their limit?
I don't think those two risks are mutually exclusive, one is not necessarily better or worse than the other.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote