Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tell me it aint so!

Hello everyone,

You can file this under "if it wasn't so scary it could be funny". I wont tell you where I met these folks to protect the innocent or should I say guilty.

My wife and I met a full time rv couple driving a 40 foot pusher. The couple are in their late 70s in age. In our conversation the husband says while driving down the highway if he needs to go the bathroom he and his wife switch drivers while going down the road. He goes to the head then they switch back while the rv is going down the highway.

At first I thought they were kidding but not at all. All I could say to them was "I want to get a good look at your rig so I can stay far away from you when I see you coming down the road!".

I was so surprised that they do this and that they would actually tell others about it. Have you heard any other crazy things people do on the road?

Trying to stay safe on the road,

Stuart
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems like they have gotten way too comfortable and lax with their driving.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
With cruise control it is probably pretty easy to do. Set the cruise, slide the seat back, have one stand there and steer while the driver slides out.

This is something for the Darwin awards. I am sure we will read about something like this in the news.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
About 40 years ago a friend with a 35 ' WBGO asked us if we wanted to go to CO during Spring break. We had family out there so we said yes. Another friend and family went as well. I think there were 10 of us. With only a week to go out and back (about 900 miles) we drove straight through and at his suggestion we switched drivers quite often without stopping.

We were young and foolish but with CC on and little traffic it was a simple switch. It took less than 5 seconds and a hand was always on the wheel. Was it unsafe? Yes! Was it dangerous? Well not as bad as you might think. These days traffic is much greater and there are a lot of rest areas and I'm older and I guess wiser.

TeJay
Old 06-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My initial response is that for any persons with halfway decent driving skills an underway switch is not difficult and not particularly dangerous. My second response is "Why bother?". Even without a nearby rest area or exit, you can always just stop in the breakdown lane for two minutes. Although-- depending on the sightlines, stopping in the breakdown lane might be more dangerous than the underway switch.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:04 PM   #6

Here we go again. This topic has been discussed several times on here. The answer is actually very simple. If anyone feels they can do the driver change safely, not in stop and go traffic, not on curvy mountain passes, not in downtown interchanges, not in any circumstances that would be "iffy", then it's up to them. But, out on the open highway, going straight as an arrow, no one's around you-coming or going. As has been stated, cruise set, seat back, both are ready, change! Done!

We've done it a zillion times. We've been traveling with many motor homes at a time, of which, every couple did the same thing. When out on the open road, in many cases, there's no pullouts, you're on a freeway and not allowed to pull over, the rest stops are a zillion miles ahead and all that. Obviously if anyone feels it's unsafe, it's not rocket science, SIMPLY DON'T DO IT! You can flame me 'till he... freezes over. Flame suit's been on for decades. I have no doubt in my mind that of all the members here reading these forums, many have done "in-flight" driver changes many, many times, but, will not admit it due to the ridicule they will receive.

It's done, every day, day in and day out. So far, no one's died. The moon and the sun still rise and fall.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Years ago we were looking at coaches, and we went to look at one being sold privately.
This couple were in their early forties and told us they did that sort of thing all the time.
She went one better and said quite often DH would get up early and get on the road while her and her two teenaged girls slept. They would eventually get up and have showers while barreling down the road. I guess it could be done but why?
Old 06-14-2015, 06:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Here we go again. This topic has been discussed several times on here. The answer is actually very simple. If anyone feels they can do the driver change safely, not in stop and go traffic, not on curvy mountain passes, not in downtown interchanges, not in any circumstances that would be "iffy", then it's up to them. But, out on the open highway, going straight as an arrow, no one's around you-coming or going. As has been stated, cruise set, seat back, both are ready, change! Done!

We've done it a zillion times. We've been traveling with many motor homes at a time, of which, every couple did the same thing. When out on the open road, in many cases, there's no pullouts, you're on a freeway and not allowed to pull over, the rest stops are a zillion miles ahead and all that. Obviously if anyone feels it's unsafe, it's not rocket science, SIMPLY DON'T DO IT! You can flame me 'till he... freezes over. Flame suit's been on for decades. I have no doubt in my mind that of all the members here reading these forums, many have done "in-flight" driver changes many, many times, but, will not admit it due to the ridicule they will receive.

It's done, every day, day in and day out. So far, no one's died. The moon and the sun still rise and fall.
Scott
Fire Up I won't flame you for your actions or attitudes, but I must say that I do feel sorry for you!
"Here's your sign"
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:13 AM   #9

Quote:

Scott
Now scott you and I have had flame proof suits for years Will be headed your way in october with 3 wings and rigs might send a pm and meet for lunch.

I did that for years when I was in a hurry but now I have to potty break so two hours is about as far as I go before I get out and check stuff out, Enjoyu don
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #10

We often don't stop and have found a safer solution. Adult diapers. Not as fancy as a flight suit with bladder bags, but just as effective.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
FIRE UP,
Hey MAN!!! Sure glad to see that like minds still do derail simultaneously. Been there done that and still alive to tell the story.

TeJay
Old 06-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #12

Quote:
We often don't stop and have found a safer solution. Adult diapers.
wow......

I just added another check-point to used MH buying. Take a whiff of the front seats.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
wow......

I just added another check-point to used MH buying. Take a whiff of the front seats.
just made me crack-up !!
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:

Scott
FIRE UP
Well put.

Trying to tell others what they are comfortable doing... (or what they should be afraid of doing), is an exercise in futility, (aka: a waste of time).
IMO, anyone without a little Evil Knievel deep down inside has not lived life to the fullest.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote