Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #1

temp up and down

hello ,wondering if anyone has had same exp ? we have a 1994 230 turbo itasca sunrunner . this weekend my dauhgter and i were racing snox cross up in plattburg ny and on the way my temp gage was bouncing in between quater and half going up hills and defroster wasnt staying hot antifreeze level was fine .. do think the termostate could b bad ? stinks wen its 12 below and no defroters lol made intresting 3 hr ride home .my daugther races on eastcoast and out west as far as wis ,mig so need to find out problem if anyone has input please let me no. dont even no were it is on motor its our first pusher . thanks again everyone jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What you are seeing is caused by thermostat action. The temperature changing due to the thermostat opening and closing. It is seen more in the cold weather than in the hot weather. In the hot weather it normally just stays open all the time but in the cold it closes to heat the motor up then opens when it has reached the specified temp. If that is the original thermostat then it would not hurt to change it and verify what the temp of the thermostat is. Could be somebody changed it in the past and put a cooler one in. If that thermostat was bad and stayed open that motor would never heat up in the cold. If it was bad then it would overheat. I always use original equipment thermostats. I never use Chinese thermostats. I would look at what temp is written on yours and go to Cummins and get the correct one. It is easy to get to on your motor. You only have to drain part of the system but make sure you check the anti-freeze level several times after you refil it because it will burp. On that engine ther is normally a valve to bleed off the air. Maybe a good time to replace the anti-freeze if it is old. Use only anti-freeze specified for diesels and not the regular stuff you can buy everywhere for cars.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #3

thanks mike i am firm belever in oem parts. makes sense nice drag car .my daughter races jr dragsters motorcross and snow cross .i have a 8 second drag bike we love to race. our motor hme has 85 k on it ween i got it in summer changed all filters and fluids. it dogs on hills some times we r towing trailer loaded its about 3500 pounds loaded is that normal ?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the comments on the drag car. It is over here for the year from Sweden. I ma looking forward to tuning it for the ADRL Promod circuit. It currently holds the European Elapsed Time Record in the Promod class of 5.96 seconds at 244 MPH. When you changed the anti-freeze did you change the the thermostat. Your motor is a great candidate for a Banks Diesel kit to increase the power.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #5

That cold, I wonder if there is away to install a winter blanket across the radiator? I am a retired truck driver, and in the winter running the northern countries, it got cold. The thermostat does not do the job as the radiator is seeing all that cold air cooling colder than the engine likes, so the thermostat works hard to try the temp. balance. I am new to class "A" RVing, so i don't know how they address this problem, but I wuld think by blocking the cold from the radiator {like the trucks do}, this help cure the problem. Or, head to Quartsite like the snow birds do? {LOL}
Happy motoring, drive safe!!
Ron
Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As long as the thermostat closes and the temp comes up then opens surely means both the radiator and the thermostat are doing there job. The opening and closing is just more apparent in the winter than the summer.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #7

Sorry Mike I have to disagree with on this one. Look at how the coolant circulates. The thermostat is on the exhaust side [outlet, return to radiator] and the intake is on the bottom of the radiator. The thermostat is working hard to maintain temperture by the opening and closing method. But when tempertures get in the minus degree level, then the coolant is being chilled much faster than the radiator would see normally. Not wanting to get into the science of it all, the hot coolant cools faster than cold. By blocking the radiator, it is to maintain the temperture in the radiator so the engine block does not see cold coolant entering. Winter blankets wouldn't be used if they did not work. Running in the north countries, I have run into no defrosters or heat coming into the cab without the "winter blanket"
But I do like your posts and follow you alot, just not this time
Ron
Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ron, I do agree that by blocking the radiator you will see less cycling of the thermostat and on the temperature gauge and it will stay warmer and I totally understand the physics of hot water cooling faster. But that still means that the thermostat is functioning normal and it would benifit in raising the thermostat to a 180 or a 190 for the winter as well as covering the radiator. I lived in Iceland for two years, spent many months in Thule Greenland where you did not shut the motor off unless you where plugged in and lived in Maine for six years. I have been in Thule where Centigrade and Farenheit are the same temperature at -39* and that ain't chill factor.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #9

Mike, Oops, tha't cold. Yes you are correct in all points, and no I wouldn't want to go to Thole, Grreenland. I am new to Class "A" diesel pusher M/H's where the 18 wheeler radiator is pushing directly in the wind, and as the thermostat is mostly closed, that radiator is getting a chill bath more so than the warm coolant returning back. So, I was wondering if the pusher has the same effect? I used to see the grayhound buses running blankets moons ago. And it sure does not hurt to change the thermostat to a different temp. to see if that cures the problem.
Luv to be able to meet you some day.
Happy Motoring and safe travels!!
Ron
Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

thanks

thanks for both ideas im going to do both. freinds a truck driver has a blanket maybe i can adapt it should i put on motor guard? /engine hatch cover/ or just other side of radiator ? is it hard to instal banks system ? not farmiler with deseil s yet
Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #11

Snox: nothing fancy, but to try it out, use a piece of cardboard at first. It does not make a difference if you have gas or diesel. we are trying to maintain operating temperture for your engine. A simple way to explain the system. The thermostat is the regulator. It opens to allow coolant to bypass to the radiator as it exceeds operating temperture, then closes as temperture drops. In this case, you have a big cooling facture. The coolant is not being circulated fast enough to maintain a temperture balance between the engine and the cooling source. At this point Mike & I are only trying to help you cure your problem, and that is to stay warm and maintain operating temps. I would use a full cover at first if it is cold enough and if you have a hill to climb. A sharp knife can cut the holes in the cardboard to adjust air flow, and the part should cost nothing as I am shure the store would give you a box.
Best idea though, go to Quartsite,AZ. for the winter {LOL}
Happy Motoring, safe travels.
Ron
Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I believe yours is a rear radiator so you have a hatch or panel in the back that opens up. You should be able to cut a piece of plywood to fit in there amd block it off. You can adjust the size of the sheet of plywood to govern your temps. The Banks kit is not hard to install. The turbo is so easy to take off but I would not attempt to change the intake side of the turbo housing yourself. I would find a truck diesel turbo repair place that has the special press needed to pull it apart. You can damage the vanes very easily trying to do it yourself. If you are handy then the rest is easy. About the only other hard part is pulling off the top of the Otto fuel control. You need to mark everything carefully. Below is the instructions booklet so you can see what has to be done.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Banks B5.9.pdf (778.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf Banks Powerpack Instructions.pdf (778.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #13

thanks again u have been real help ful jim