Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #1

Temperature Control While Driving

How do you heat or cool your motor home while underway? Do you rely on the automotive equipment to do the job, or do you turn to the same systems you use when parked? Years ago we had a Dodge-powered class C. The automotive air conditioner would freeze up on us, so we ended up running the generator and rooftop a/c. I wonder if it actually changed the gas mileage any...
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #2

Good question. I try to use the coach engine cooling and heating as much as possible while driving. I have the Aqua Hot system which uses the engine to heat to a point which is nice.
The Aqua hot works well down to maybe 30 or so for heat. Otherwise the Aqua hot burner will need to be turned on to keep up.

The dash air works to a point in the summer but if your driving west in the summer, late in the day the genset and roof air will be needed to cool it down.

In any case above, the Gen or AH burner on means less miles per gallon for sure. I think the Gen running the roof air hurts the mileage more than the AH running the burner.

Driving west in the summer means early starts in the day and driving as long as possible before kicking on the roof air.
Driving South in the winter means daytime driving will be warm without heat for a good portion of the ay
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
How do you heat or cool your motor home while underway? Do you rely on the automotive equipment to do the job, or do you turn to the same systems you use when parked? Years ago we had a Dodge-powered class C. The automotive air conditioner would freeze up on us, so we ended up running the generator and rooftop a/c. I wonder if it actually changed the gas mileage any...
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #3

My opinion,dash air and heat only keep the driver and front passenger comfortable in summer and winter. During hot day driving I run dash air and gen. and roof airs.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the time it is just the wife and I plus Idiot Dog. The dash heat/air and windshield fans are usually enough. On hot days I turn on the genset and roof top ACs about an hour from the campground and let it run untill we are on shore power. Wife hates setting up the inside of the coach when it hot inside.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #5

Unless we are on one of those rare spring/fall days with muted sunshine and moderate temperatures where no temperature control is needed, we always run the house cooling/heating while traveling. Our furry owner would not have it any other way. Comfort always trumps other considerations.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #6

I to run the dash unit(only) as much as possible because I am cheap and fuel is expensive. We discoved that sliding the drivers side window open and the opposite middle and bedroom windows create a great cool comfortable breeze. The coach is still very comfortable even in 80+ degree weather. Plus few things feel better coming from cold weather in the north than a warm breeze.....I am ready to head south now! Unfortunately I have to wait till April.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post

We use a curtain on a collaspable shower rod between the two front slideouts, just behind the front seats. This way the engine AC/heater only has to cool/warm the front passenger compartment, and not the whole coach. No pets or kids, just us two.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
@IIIkrob, where did you find the collaspable shower rod? We want to do the same thing but need a rod about 95 inches. We had a similar setup on another rig and it worked well for us but this time have not been able to find a collaspsing rod long enough. Thanks
Old 01-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
@IIIkrob, where did you find the collapsible shower rod? We want to do the same thing but need a rod about 95 inches. We had a similar setup on another rig and it worked well for us but this time have not been able to find a collapsing rod long enough. Thanks

I think we got ours at K-Mart or Home Depot. However, I don't believe ours will extend 95 inches. Ours fits between the front two opposing slide-outs and is only about 50 or 60 inches across. For 95 inches you may have to go to a closet hanging rod.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
@IIIkrob, thanks. We have been able only to find one about 74 inches. I just hate to have to drill holes for the rod. Having the curtain really was nice in our other rig and I hope I can rig up something similar in this one.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #11

Well that is true. If you have rear pax something has to give. For me, sitting in the front by all that glass has a huge impact on the comfort, cold or hot out.
Like someone else said, I am cheap and fuel costs a lot so I will suffer a "little".
On the other hand I have several buddies that run the genset 24-7 nomatter what the weather is out (we dry camp a lot) so I am sure that is what they are thinking also, keep the thermostat set at what ever they like and just let it go...
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My opinion,dash air and heat only keep the driver and front passenger comfortable in summer and winter. During hot day driving I run dash air and gen. and roof airs.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Camping World sells a curtain track that mounts to the ceiling. It comes with the track and slides that are sewed on to a curtain that you furnish.

We live in the Southwest and use the dash AC frequently only turning on the generator and house AC just before reaching our destination. Dash heat also keeps us nice and warm traveling in the winter.

Useful modification

Charlie Tuit
02 Journey, 165,000 miles
XL-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Good question. I try to use the coach engine cooling and heating as much as possible while driving. I have the Aqua Hot system which uses the engine to heat to a point which is nice.
The Aqua hot works well down to maybe 30 or so for heat. Otherwise the Aqua hot burner will need to be turned on to keep up.

The dash air works to a point in the summer but if your driving west in the summer, late in the day the genset and roof air will be needed to cool it down.

In any case above, the Gen or AH burner on means less miles per gallon for sure. I think the Gen running the roof air hurts the mileage more than the AH running the burner.

Driving west in the summer means early starts in the day and driving as long as possible before kicking on the roof air.
Driving South in the winter means daytime driving will be warm without heat for a good portion of the ay
Windecker
Wait a minute, why would running the generator or AquaHot change your MPG? You of course use more diesel, but that does not relate to MPG.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #14

Rexhall Owners Group
We run the generator and overhead a/c. I find this uses less fuel (diesel) than using the dash air. As far as MPG, I calculate MPG using coach mileage and fuel used and do not "subtract" for generator usage. Not fair I understand but it's what I do as I am more concerned about total fuel used not engine MPG. I can see MPG in SilverLeaf (VMSpc) when I want to check it.
JMO
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote