Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
Temporary storage with jacks down or not?

When we got back from our Halibut trip I stored the MH in the shop. We would be leaving again in a month for the salmon opener so I left the air up and didn't put the jacks down. So, it's sitting on the tires. I store it in the winter with the air out and jacks down to get the weight off the tires, but should I being doing this each time it's stored?

02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Some do some don't. I am a don't and never have been a do.

Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, some do and some don't... but I usually do. Not sure it does any good at all but for some reason it makes me feel better because my coach will bleed the air off in a few days and it just seems to be a good idea for me.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't with mine. Mostly because of the cylinders can rust if left a long time in a humid/wet/rainy enviroment. Dirt and dust can stick to them too which all wouldn't help the seals when retracted. I'm not crazy about leaving them under pressure that long either when it isn't necessary. Replacing seals is not easy nor cheap, I know
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Relative to periods of storage and non-use over 30 days, my Spartan manual says:
"In addition, the motorhome should be safely secured on the leveling jacks in accordance with the Body Manufacturer instructions."
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Down, that's what they are made to do and why they are there.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
This time of year I leave the fridge on (and plugged in), slides open, suspension lowered, jacks down and rig level. I've read threads questioning each one of these and there are as many opinions as there are combinations...
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
We store with the jacks down.

If you have HWH jacks, this is what they say in their FAQs:

Vehicle Storage Information Concerning HWH Equipment

54. Can I store my coach with my jacks extended?
  • Yes, this will not hurt the system.
55. How long can I leave my coach parked with the jacks extended?
  • As long as you want. We recommend operating the system occasionally if possible.
56. Do I need to do any maintenance on the jacks or rooms while the vehicle is parked with the jacks and rooms extended?
  • There is no necessary maintenance for the jacks or rooms while the vehicle is parked. If desired, WD-40 can be used on the jack rods right before storing the jacks if dirt has collected on the rods. Refer to the following link for jack maintenance information http://www.hwh.com/ml47149.pdf
57. If I’m parked for a month or two, should I occasionally operate my system?
  • Yes, it is good to operate the system occasionally but it is not required.
58. I have the HWH air leveling system. Should I dump all the air from my suspension when I store the coach?
  • You should talk to the coach manufacturer to get the information. Storing the coach either way will not hurt the HWH equipment.

BTW: Following HWH's recommendation, each time we retract the jacks, we hose off the jack rods with water using a hose and then apply WD-40. This will keep the jacks clean, in good working order, make the extend and retract faster, and prevent them from sticking.

HWH frequently recommends using WD-40 in their manuals and maintenance guides.

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
I would not leave the entire weight of the MH on the tires if parked on uneven ground. I'd have to level it out using the jacks. The idea of that 'box' being twisted while in storage doesn't sit well with me. OTH, if on even ground (level/flat), I like the idea of leaving the load on the tires to protect the jacks and unload jack components.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
Being a CPA, mine gets stored for 4 months every year during tax season. I store with jacks down on a level concrete pad. I also use jack pads so that they don't extend fully. I wash the pistons off with water and rub them down with a dry lubricant before retracting. The tires have some weight on them for safety purposes in case the jacks fail. I dry lube and exercise the slides occasionally. I have 50 amp service. I disconnect power and exercise the generator with 50% load every other month for two hours. I have been doing this since 2004, have HWH jacks and it has worked well for me. I do this same procedure if storing for 30 days.
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Hi csrrsr,
The decision is yours. There is no right or wrong. Tire manufacturers say no problem for the tires. Jack manufacturers say no problem for the jacks. Millions of coaches are lived in for months at a time with the jacks down. Most likely, the same number are stored with the jacks up. When not in use, my coach is on a level concrete pad with the jacks up.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

jacks, storage