Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
My RV will be ten years old next year. I've taken all the old striping off of it and I'm removing the oxidation and making it all shiny and new looking again. It has nice shiny wheels, will have new tires, no rust, scratches, scrapes, etc. on it. So if it looks brand new, but is an old style, will it still be turned away from RV parks? What experiences have ya'll had with this, if you have an older RV? Or do judge more on appearance and cleanliness?? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
My RV will be ten years old next year. I've taken all the old striping off of it and I'm removing the oxidation and making it all shiny and new looking again. It has nice shiny wheels, will have new tires, no rust, scratches, scrapes, etc. on it. So if it looks brand new, but is an old style, will it still be turned away from RV parks? What experiences have ya'll had with this, if you have an older RV? Or do judge more on appearance and cleanliness?? Thanks!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #3

Many of our friends have older motorhomes and the parks will say they want to see it before they let it in. Unless the campground is ultra snooty they let them in with no problems. I have a 2000 American Tradition and no way am I going to buy a newer one just to get into a campground.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 AM   #4

There are a few parks with the 10 year rule in my area. I always see several units well beyond the 10 year age parked there. The parks don't seem to have a problem with units that are well kept and clean.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quiet honestly, most campground personnel cannot tell you what year an RV is or how old. When we had a 5er that was 10 years old, we just made our 1995 5er a 1996 and the following year it was a 1997. It looked good and no one was the wiser.

Personally, if the place won't let me in now with our 29 year old TT, we'll just go some where else. There are getting to be a rather large number of restored RV's on the road. Will the campgrounds want to deny access to all of these rigs.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GraciesMom:
My RV will be ten years old next year. I've taken all the old striping off of it and I'm removing the oxidation and making it all shiny and new looking again. It has nice shiny wheels, will have new tires, no rust, scratches, scrapes, etc. on it. So if it looks brand new, but is an old style, will it still be turned away from RV parks? What experiences have ya'll had with this, if you have an older RV? Or do judge more on appearance and cleanliness?? Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some will reserve the right to refuse an over ten year old on inspection at check-in while others we have dealt with will make no exceptions and there were several of those when I had my 11 year old 1995 Vectra. I won't abase myself and lie to get in so I choose to move on instead. They lost a quiet neat paying customer that does no damage and leaves no messes behind.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #7

I agree. My FIL is selling his restored Vogue and it is more road worthy than many new rigs. He is a retired CAT mechanic/operator/low-bed driver and this rig is sano. There isn't one thing he has overlooked re: function, appearance, maintenance etc.

Too many rigs, both old and new, are left to rot the tires off and most never put any maintenance into them.

If the rig is clean and in good working order, who cares how old it is.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like to see older model rigs on the road, especially Tiffins - it gives me hope.

I've never been asked, even on a campground with the 10 year rule, how old my coach is. I don't think you'll have a problem worth staying up and worrying about.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 11 years of full timing I have never been asked about the age of my coach. I don't think you will have any problems. The cg owners need an out for the junkers that are out there. Just keep campin. Marv
Old 08-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #10

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
Hey GraciesMom, how about some pictures of what you did. I've got a '99 Adventure that I've been thinking of getting rid of the side decals. Are you painting with a rattle can or just leaving it white?

As to the 10 year rule the only place I've stayed that has one is the Oasis in Las Vegas. I asked them about this last year and they said the will take a look at the rig, and if it's well maintained they let them in.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #11

historyljc, i can't imagine why nobody has asked the age of your coach! you do have a 06 phaeton 40 ft. all over paint? just a joke ha!ha! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #12

Age isn't a problem in public campgrounds. Just in the private ones (ones that often include "resort" in their names). Only time I have run into it... About 10 yrs ago, in Chattanooga TN, I was turned down, over the phone, by both Shipp's (we refer to them as "Pirate's" due to the ridiculously high price) and Best's Holiday Trav-L park. At the time we had a 1974 Apache solid state (no canvas) pop-up. I had no problem staying in it at Chester Frost County Park, Harrison Bay State Park or Raccoon Mountain Campground. Or any other campground we pulled into in FL, GA, SC, NC, VA & NY. It's been 10 years and I haven't forgotten. Just like I haven't forgotten how we were treated by Crooked Hook Campgound in Clewiston FL (1979) just because we were tent campers. We don't stay in parks that refuse service based on the age of our RV, the age of us, the fact that we have/had kids or pets. But then, we prefer public campgrounds and will go out of our way to stay at them. We started out camping in a tent and still look at campgrounds from a tenters point of view. We prefer gravel pads over asphalt and trees are greatly appreciated. If we want to camp in a parking lot, we will stay at "Wally World".
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Beaverjim, I have stayed several times at the Majestic Oak RV Resort in Biloxi, MS. Never when making reservations or checking in have they inquired as to the age of my motorhome or even hinted at wanting to look at it. This can be found under their park rules on their website: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> RV's must be newer than 10 years old and be in good repair. The manager's discretion is final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I have seen one or two in there that don't meet either criteria.

I try to keep my rig so that in 10 years it will still look like it does today. I kinda hope to still be driving it then.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:09 AM   #14

historyljc, i hope you know i was kidding! what i meant was you have a great looking coach, why would anybody ask. by the way how are the new rear tires working out? jim

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote