Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #15

the rest of the story

So here is what happened. I left the motorhome for another week and they readjusted the valves, replaced all of the heater hoses, removed the fuel tank and replaced both the supply and the return fuel lines (64ft of hose), cleaned the inside, washed the mattress cover and reflushed the cooling system. When I got there they handed me a creeper and I crawled under the motorhome to make sure everything looked good. They made sure that the vehicle had been roadtested. The manager told me that the tech was very close to losing his job over it and the service supervisor got a letter of reprimand in his file. The branch manager met with me and we went over all of the repairs, he apologized up one side and down the other and stated that there would be changes in the quality control system that they use. I hope he keeps his word. I will say that the motorhome ran great coming home, it appears to have more power and throttle response. They also gave me a couple of fuel filters. I will post this in the RV service reviews page.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Their actions to correct the problem sound pretty good to me.

There will always be problems in a business no matter how hard you try to avoid them and making it right when a problem is detected is important.

i suspect you will always get excellent service there from now on.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #17

This is gonna be a long one. You have been fore-warned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Their actions to correct the problem sound pretty good to me.

There will always be problems in a business no matter how hard you try to avoid them and making it right when a problem is detected is important.

i suspect you will always get excellent service there from now on.

Not in my experience.... A poorly performing service department will remain a poorly performing service department until they fix the problems...

To say the supervisor received a reprimand and the technician is 'close to firing' is just paying lip service to make you 'believe' they are fixing it.

From the description of the shoddy workmanship here, the technician should have been fired on the spot and the supervisor busted back to a technician so he could relearn what supervising is all about...

Sorry for the rant but here is my experience:

We purchased a 2003 Itasca Sunrise (As-Is) from a local (Camping World) dealer. I was told it had a new motor because the previous one blew up. After less than 100 miles, it blew up again... It took numerous frustrated phone calls and personal visits before they agreed to 'take care of it'. A month later, still no resolution in sight.
I saw (on their web site) a 2003 Beaver Santiam DP and arranged to up-trade for an additional $25k. This time I learned my lesson and insisted on a 3-month warranty in addition to the 3-year extended warranty.

Without turning this into a novel, we had about 15 problems during the warranty period. Nothing major, but almost all problems took at least 2 visits to rectify and a couple took 4 visits. Every time we took it in, it would be returned with either unresolved problems or new problems.
Every time I complained they were very apologetic and said they would fix it.
I did eventually get all of the reported issues fixed although at least two were resolved by me.

The one issue that really annoyed was the trailer lighting was not working properly. They 'fixed' this twice. Still the same... Left turn signal not working. This was definitely with the coach because the trailer worked fine when connected to my Expedition.

I finally checked it myself. While tidying up a rats nest of wiring, found the taillight converter had the left turn output wired back to the input. It could never have worked. Fixing the wiring didn't work... Had to buy a new converter.

We are very pleased with our 'new' coach but would be extremely reluctant to take it back there if I have alternatives. I just need to find a 'good' shop.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #18

In many cases I would agree with the last writer. I have worked with a lot of techs that couldn't care less and will do what they want until they are fired from every local dealer and can not find another job. On the other hand, When i was a young tech working at a truck garage and we had the Roadway account to do preventative maintenance. I was asked to PM a vehicle and I thought I did a good job, but after it was inspected my boss was read the riot act and then made me come along so that I could share in the fun. I didn't do a good job, as a matter of fact I should have been fired for missing and skipping over some of the items. I learned from that one lesson that I needed to make sure that I followed through levers job and to treat the customer the way I wanted to be treated. I was a lesson I never forgot. I can only hope that this tech will remember this and change for the better. I do believe that the branch manager is sincere, however the service supervisor saw me there and never came over to apologize, I can't see him changing much. Time will tell.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #19

In my view, the rookie tech should have been supervised and his work double-checked by another tech at least until he is proven effective.

Having said that, even a rookie should know not to walk oil and grease through a client's pride and joy. That's the main reason I said to fire him.

A major complaint with my dealer was the lack of any kind of quality control. Whenever I took mine in, the service desk assistant would pull out my file of 20-30 pages paper-clipped together and make notes wherever they could find a space. No structured system.

The service manager was always great and anxious to please. The problem was his inferior technicians and lack of a system.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #20

Maybe its just me but I would not let anybody in my house for a week to fix things without me being there so why would I let someone in my motorhome have it for a week and let every tom,dick,and harry roam around in it .What I can't figure out is why there was dirt or grease on the bed.Did they have a party in there?If I can't fix it I'll find a trusted friend or relative to help me.I'm 70 years old with 55 years on the job as a mechanic and machinist.Thats more than I can say for the people working in those repair shops.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #21

As I posted before, normally I don't take my Motorhome in to someone else for repair, however this time I did because I travel for work during the week and my wife wanted me around on the weekend not putting with the MH. Besides, they have lifts which makes some of the repairs much easier to do such as replacing the fuel line from front to back. As for the mattress cover they got dirty, they had to raise the bed to get to the engine.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #22

[moderator edit] Tire pressure problems now.

Ok, what are your thoughts? Picked up the motorhome on Friday, parked in front of my house all weekend, drove over to the hitch shop to have work done on the hitch. While waiting I thought I would check the tire pressure which should have been checked as part of the service and the left inner tire had 20psi. Couldn't find any nails or leaks in the tire, filled it back up with 95psi and drove it home and then to the storage facility. I had checked the tire pressure before taking it to the shop and know it was at 95psi. I am going to let it sit for a few days in storage and then go back and check the pressure in the tire. I sure hope that there is a reasonable explanation.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #23

Nearing the end of this nightmare

Got the tire fixed, the rubber seal on the valve stem was leaking. Went to my local tire store and they did a fantastic job. The tech used a protector for my rims so the impact didn't scratch them and removed the tire and replaced the seal. Cost me $15. I gave him a $20 tip. I still have to replace the rear fuel filter as it is still seeping but once that is done hopefully all of the remnants of the initial repair will have been fixed and I can move forward. Thanks for listening and your comments.

Tags
repair, service