Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Test driving two MH's on Sat in Morgan Hilll CA

I am going to test drive a '99 Coachman Santara/gas/1 slide. Also will be test driving a '99Rexhall/gas/2 slide. these are both at a dealer lot. One is consignment and one is the dealer's. Anybody got any suggestions as to what I should look out for? The dealer says they check to make everything works and is safe. I know I should double check everything myself. I know maintenace records are really important. Also I have learned from iRV2 that date codes on tires are important too. Thanks again for your help.
sCary
sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi sCary,
My advice to you would be to make a list of the things you would like to have on your new to you RV first. If you find something that fits your needs, take your time to check it out. Don't let anyone rush you. A thorough pre-delivery inspection will take at least 3 hours. I downloaded a checklist from the internet so I could check each item, one at a time. Even then in the excitement of it all, it's easy to miss a few things. Don't feel like you have to make an immediate decision. Think about it and make sure it's the right one.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
First things first - picture yourself spending a lot of time in each. Our first purchase was on eBay and turned out pretty good. I consider it our "training wheels" stage. We learned a lot about what we wanted when we upgraded. Since you'll be hands-on with both, you have a better opportunity to get a feel for how they meet your needs. Then you can get into the parts and pieces stage, how well things work, wear and tear, how it drives, etc.

A pretty coach with issues won't be good, but neither will a perfect unit that doesn't really meet your needs. We found our eBay purchase to be a big snug after extended stays, so we eventually upgraded to something with more width.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What dealer?

I may be in that area this Saturday and there's a slim chance I could take a gander at them.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #5

Seegrins RV if I'm not mistaken.

btw, from experience, ignore everything they have as far as pricing and lowball the heck out of them. They usually take the lowball number.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What dealer?

I may be in that area this Saturday and there's a slim chance I could take a gander at them.
Arch, Thank you so much for the offer. I'll go test drive them and if there is any question I need more help with I'll let you know. I tried to send you a private meassage but didn't find the right key stroke. My girlfriend lives in Clovis. Let's connect sometime.
Cary
Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #7

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Take your time...take a ride over Pacheco pass and turn around at the Petro. This will give you an opportunity to check out Mountain climbing power and braking capability even though you will be at minimum weight. This assumes your walk through makes the M/H a candidate to buy. If you take the drive and it's satisfactory consider stopping at Casa de Fruta RV park on the way back to Morgan Hill and try everything out hooked up to ac and without ac. Doing this and the PDI check list will give you a good understanding of what you are getting.
Also remember that if you take out of state delivery and the M/H remains out of state for 90 days one does not pay sales tax. Receipts must be kept for 8 years. I did this and took delivery in Yuma Az, not as close as Oregon or Nevada, but MUCH warmer. When I bought, one had to keep the unit out of state for one year.
Good Luck and keep os updated.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had to turn on allow private messages. I sent you a message with my email address.

Ronnie...that would be a good drive but I wonder if they'd let him drive it that far?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #9

I bought at Alpine in Morgan Hill and that is the test drive I took and Casa de Fruta. I guess it depends on how badly they want to sell, but I would not but unless I could test drive over various road conditions. Roundtrip that's only about 100 miles.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK seven hours loking over two MH's. I was hoping one would dominate over the other. Not gonna happen. The Santara has a nice dash, power seats and is slow. It only has one slide. The roof has just been repaired and it doesn't look very good. No ladder to the roof.Brand new tires, Dynatec made in China. No awning. 30K miles.
The Rexhall has Banks and solar panel. Only one CRT TV. The floor in the living room slide is coming undone. Tires are original at 1998. 2 slides and a W/D. More kitchen counter space. One shock is leaking. Drives like a car.43K. Hmmm what to do what to do. Maybe keep looking?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #11

Cary: how far can you stretch your budget? Depending upon your specific needs there are some nice DP's that are not that far away...

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #12

If one of them did not JUMP out at you KEEP LOOKING. You will know when it's the one.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'd keep looking.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I would pass on both, if you arn't happy now, you will kick yourself down the road. In my opinion if I saw tires from China, I would hate to guess what else was repaired/repaired on the cheap.

Floor plan should be the first consideration, then check the mechanics of any coach, DP or gasser.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote