Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
Is a low air buzzer required,if my coach has one it don't work.
Each vehicle equipped with air brakes must have a low air pressure warning system in place. This device must comply with either Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards that was in effect at the time of the devices manufacturer, or it must have a visible or audible continuous warning that goes off if the air pressure drops below 75 psi when the power unit is off, or below 55 psi when the engine is running. There has to be a functioning low air warning device, but it can be a light or buzzer.

BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #128

Mine was not equipped or had been disabled. We got a buzzer @ Radio Shack and wired it into the line for the low air warning light on the dash. I satisfied the examiner and left it hooked up. I think all AB equipped vehicles should have one.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT

Old 06-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #129

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harricat55 View Post
I took the written test and road test in Marble Falls the written test covered chapters 5, 11 and 14 in the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook.
So were these 3 separate tests? That's about what they gave me to before I got someone to intervene and tell them that I only needed "commercial rules" (section 14). It was the CDL department of DPS directing what tests to give. Their own documentation says that only one written test is required, Reference: CDL-2. (see the bottom)

If they still insist on giving you 3 tests, have them call:
Zack Winser (DPS customer service)

512-424-2000
Extension 86813

I asked about testing at Marble Falls just last week. Marble Falls doesn't actually answer the phone and DPS customer service said that they don't give the non-CDL Class A/B tests. Clearly they do...

I dunno what's going on with DPS - underfunded? unorganized?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #130

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not answering the phone thing is really the most fustrating part, especially when I was there on both trips and there was no one there except me, and the lady there still would not answer the phone. Could clearly hear the phone ringing, but she never once bothered to even look at the ringing phone.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #131

No it was one test 20 questions and the majority of questions were on chapter 14 but they did have a few questions that dealt with semis which I'm sure I got wrong. The very first question was how far can your load extend beyond the cab, I guessed.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #132

Ford Super Duty Owner
So my wife just went in, despite having a reference from DPS (Zack Winser - DPS customer service) DPS commercial is still insisting on giving tests over Chapter 6 and Chapter 14... At least for Class-A.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
Got my license in the mail, found a little surprise.

While in MF doing the paperwork and test, the question came up, Class A or B. Told them A, but the DPS guy Scott who does the drivers testing jumped in and said oh no, unless you have a trailer on your test over 10K lbs, you can't take the test. Have a trailer rated for 14K lbs, but really did not want to fool with it, so said ok, guess Ill take the Class B.

Looked at my new license, it says Class A. Thinking the super nice lady who helped me, hooked me up and gave me the A that I was wanting in the first place. Another good reason to go to MF, guranteed NO ONE in Austin would have hooked me up like that.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #134

Newmar Owners Club
You gotta get a lucky break every now and then.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #135

Ford Super Duty Owner
I took and passed the Class-A driving test this week. Not a big deal.
Like above, they indicated that I already had a "Class-B" license (I didn't).

We had a long discussion on the inconsistent policies of DPS on written and driving tests. I was told that they have "internal policies" on these tests. I asked for a written reference and she said that I couldn't have it as they "change frequently" and the most recent policies were based on DPS interpretation of federal law. I asked "which law" - she said that she had spent some time looking for a law that she could cite, but had been unable to find it.

DPS customer service called back today also and said basically that they had given up and policies were "office by office"...

So unfortunately, I can't provide any written guidance or really say I made any sort of dent in the situation.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #136

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has any one taken the driving test in Nacogdoches tx?
Old 01-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #137

Sorry no Lady P, houston for me
spinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #138

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If they are requiring a back and a parallel park, will they allow you a spotter? I don't back unless I have a spotter. Is Livingston tx a good place to take tests?
Old 01-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
If they are requiring a back and a parallel park, will they allow you a spotter? I don't back unless I have a spotter. Is Livingston tx a good place to take tests?
As I understand it, you can lose 20 points on the test and still pass. The parallel park is only 3 points and if you put it in reverse you get 1 point.

I backed up a few feet and said without a spotter I wasn't allowed to go back up without the boss supervising. The tester said I could get out a many times as I liked, but I just pressed on with my only deductions.

We did it in Taylor, TX.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:12 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post

Livingston is suppose to be good and not require the parking.

David, Heidi, M and Moose(the lab)
2011 Damon Astoria
Pulling an'09 Chevy CrewCab.

Tags
driver