Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #141

Newmar Owners Club
Just took the Class B test in Nacogdoches. No parallel parking required. The examiner told me that was not a requirement for an exempt Class B license. The driving course was very straight forward with no narrow city streets, no low hanging trees, etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #142

Winnebago Owners Club
Is Livingston a good place to take the test?

Lady_puffin: We got our Class A in Livingston and [except for the long lines] it was a pleasure. The agents there actually worked with us to get us back on the road as quickly as possible. There is a written test (mostly, but not all Chapter 14) and a short driving test, but no parallel parking. /ken

PS. Be wary of their request at the end of the driving test to park the rig in the big open space by the fire hydrant that is next to the DPS testing office!

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #143

Got mine in Lewisville in 2014. Went there because had shorter wait time to get appt for driving test. I'd taken written exam on McKinney 3 weeks before. I failed because I just studied the multi-state rules in the main part of the Texas handbook. There's an appendix in the back specifically for Texas. Once I studied it, too, I only missed one on retest.

Texas' method of written testing doesn't really recognize RV's. HOWEVER, in studying the laws, generall, and those more applicable to big rigs, I am a much, much better driver. I learned things I was never taught. I resolved to re-study the handbook every couple of years for a refresher.

My driving examiner didn't test me on air brakes; but that's a crap shoot depending on where and who. I showed up ready to show-and-do on air brakes. I learned a lot watching some Youtube classes for CDL students. When we got seated, i did tell her I checked the 2 gauges. I also hit the pedal 3 times to let the air out and be sure the system was able to recharge to my operating pressure. That's about all I can check in my coach, anyway.

I only got a Class B because I was not planning to pull a trailer. That's the only difference in Texas between B and A. Both have the same 26,001 threshold. Texas categorizes its drivers licenses SOLELY by weight. Texas doesn't care about the purpose the vehicle will be used for.

Having said that, Texas does require drovers who do certain things with their 26,001+ rigs to have a commercial version of the B or A. Drivers who transport people, like a church bus, or people who drive as part of their for-pay occupation.

It is VERY IMPORTANT, and I CANNOT emphasize this enough, that you should NOT get a commercial B or A license in Texas unless you absolutely have to. The world changes for Texas drivers with CDLs. The laws regarding multiple violations, effects of drug or alcohol contact, virtually all traffic laws involving collisions, and on and on ALL have severe penalties and long periods of possible DL suspension, the unforgivable kind. Unless you want to triple the chance that your co-pilot may become the only non-suspended driver in your cockpit, get only a non-commercial B or A.

Jerry Lewis
Old 03-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #144

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
DH and I just passed our texas exempt B license. The very nice ladies in Nacogdoches assisted.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #145

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
DH and I just passed our texas exempt B license. The very nice ladies in Nacogdoches assisted.
Just curious -- any reason you went to Nacogdoches instead of Hillsboro? I did all my testing in Hillsboro about three years ago, and it was a pleasant experience.
gfs1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #146

Ford Super Duty Owner
Whatever you do, go to one of those two locations. The rest of the state sets policies "per office" - this is the reality of the situation. I had to take 3 separate written tests and no amount of trying to get that corrected with DPS leadership made a difference. It was easier to study and pass the tests... I escalated through DPS 3 times.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #147

Winnebago Owners Club
So glad I don't live in Texas.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark. I'm glad I don't live in YOUR state (unless it's Hawaii but then I would need to sell the RV).
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #149

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
wow
if you don't live here....then your opinions are just that...with no fact
I have had my non com class b for over four years.
In fact there may be some offices that are confused as in any GOVERNMENT run affair. but most are not confused and do a remarkable job. Blame surely goes more towards DPS and communications vice the local offices

each state has weird stuff, its the price you pay for your piece of serenity.

but i love texas and i pay only 3 dollars for the plates on my bus...texas loves us veterans.
so the small inconvenience to get a non com class b license is not a problem...plus...sit down....ITS FREE for me
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #150

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We were in Nacodoches and had been studying. Plus I had talked to the folks in Hillsboro and they said they were no longer testing skills.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #151

Quote:

We're glad you don't as well, I guess.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 03-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #152

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
We were in Nacodoches and had been studying. Plus I had talked to the folks in Hillsboro and they said they were no longer testing skills.
Meaning come in, take the written test(s) and you're done?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #153

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No, meaning that they would do the written test and you would need to find a driving test else where.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #154

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with that is that you leave without a license and they pass the "what's required" down the line to the next office.. That next office may very well decided that you need to take addition tests.

I tried in vain to get a letter or something out of DPS leadership with a signature that ended the endless debate that seems to occur in DPS offices over this, but I was unable to do so. As best it was explained to me, they leave it up to individual offices, which makes absolutely no sense...

Tags
driver