Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's so confusing

It has been so confusing on whether to get the class B license. I've called 4 different DPS offices in North Texas today and got 4 different answers. So Todsy I called my insurance agent, who drives a 42ft DP and he told me I did not have to have one. He has never had one. He also assured me that my insurance would remain intact if I did not have one.

I think learning the information is a very good idea no matter what.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
It has been so confusing on whether to get the class B license. I've called 4 different DPS offices in North Texas today and got 4 different answers. So Todsy I called my insurance agent, who drives a 42ft DP and he told me I did not have to have one. He has never had one. He also assured me that my insurance would remain intact if I did not have one.

I think learning the information is a very good idea no matter what.
Your insurance agent is incorrect.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaetonRob View Post
I just took the driving test in San Antonio. They don't ask how the RV got there. They will do the brake test just like on the you tube CDL videos. You tell the instructor what you are doing and he/she watches. Make sure you chock the wheels. Then sit down and put on your seat belt. Start the engine and tell her when the air is full. Shut the engine. Don't for get to turn on the key. If you fail this part she fails you and you come back. Then do the static test, then the brake on air loss, then alarm and brake button pop out. The rest of the test which took almost 45 minutes was driving on streets, highway and then backing up and parallel parking in the parking lot. When they gave me the results she took off 2 points for being too close to the curb and said my step was on it. Got a 98. Common sense driving. Use your horn if you need to.

GOOD LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Sarah is correct. If you were involved in an incident and were improperly licensed your insurance company may not have an issue. You would, however, expose yourself to penalties, fines,liability for operating a vehicle without a proper license.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post

Sarah is correct call the CDL testing center in Austin for the correct information.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OP I live in Grayson County. Drivers License office is in Sherman, TX. Must have Class B due to over 26k lbs GVWR and air brakes. Takes 3 weeks here to get on the list to do the driving test.
Also read Chapters 11-14 to pass CDL written test.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, after more phone calls and more different answers, I stopped a DPS state trooper and he said No!!!! As did his partner. "It is not necessary unless you are for hire" .. I would think they know.... But then....I wonder...
Old 04-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, new to the RV world but just purchase a new Tiffin Motorhome (45 Ft) and just realized I needed a class b license so went today and applied for my license...passing the eye test and written test...need to set up the skills test and having done the testing today in Ft Worth...I want no part of doing it at that location...I've only driven this motor home about a hundred miles so no very familiar with it yet...any advise...do I need to sneak in a watch someone else do it...lol...or what...any suggestions on where I try to book the skills test...think I have a few weeks. Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset4k View Post
Well, after more phone calls and more different answers, I stopped a DPS state trooper and he said No!!!! As did his partner. "It is not necessary unless you are for hire" .. I would think they know.... But then....I wonder...
FYI. https://www.fmca.com/motorhome/motor...uirements.html

TxDPS - Classes of Driver Licenses

Old 04-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
More....

OP again.
Wife passed written exam today. Got 18 of 20 correct. She agreed she answered the 2 wrong. Reading last three chapters did the trick.
When asking the DPS officers did you say "Over 26k lbs AND Air Brakes"?
After reading the Driver's Handbook I know a lot more what to do in a emergency, and how to test the brakes. NO manual that came with my new 41' 33k lbs air brake Class A RV told me what to do.
Makes me wonder how many are driving ignorant...
Old 04-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Makes me wonder how many are driving ignorant...
The answer is, "an astonishing number."

Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post
Wish it was still the case, but while one can still take the written test in Granbury, I have to go to Weatherford or Waxahachie for the driving portion. Oh well...hope I pass so I can drive home legally!
Wonder when and why they changed that? Took mine in Hood County in 2011, written was easy, driving test was easy. My wife needs to get her license so she can be a backup driver but not sure what they do in Parker County....

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Wonder when and why they changed that? Took mine in Hood County in 2011, written was easy, driving test was easy. My wife needs to get her license so she can be a backup driver but not sure what they do in Parker County....

If you are a current Class B holder she can take the written & get a learners permit. As long as you are with her she's legal to drive for the next 2 years (I think it 2).

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #27

Just had the usual experience in Georgetown. Personnel had never heard of a non-CDL class B license, but the supervisor had. Of course it took 90 minutes to get through the line wait to actually see someone. First clerk had no idea what to do so she passed me off to another bloke who was way overloaded with what he was doing (or maybe he just looked that way). The test was easy (chapter 14 mostly) although pretty useless. This is the same test they give for people wanting a CDL so you can see why it doesn't reflect much of value to RVers. Oh yes, I passed so now I need to schedule and take the driving test.

2007 Monaco Knight
2013 Jeep Liberty
Old 04-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSwift View Post
Well, new to the RV world but just purchase a new Tiffin Motorhome (45 Ft) and just realized I needed a class b license so went today and applied for my license...passing the eye test and written test...need to set up the skills test and having done the testing today in Ft Worth...I want no part of doing it at that location...I've only driven this motor home about a hundred miles so no very familiar with it yet...any advise...do I need to sneak in a watch someone else do it...lol...or what...any suggestions on where I try to book the skills test...think I have a few weeks. Appreciate any suggestions.

I would call Livingston or Austin's main CDL testing center. Neither one of those locations make you parallel park or back up. They also just talk you through the airbrake section. They are both very familiar with the real requirements of the Class B. JMHO

Tags
driver