Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 05:53 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Is there a written air brake test required in Texas?
ABSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
I took mine last year. They gave me the written and it too was mostly widths, lengths, lamp colors and other cdl stuff. (I guess they figure you already have a regular DL so what's the point of the regular questions)

On the drivers part the testing person walked out with a pair of wheel chocks but I was one step ahead of her. She then had me go thru the air brake test. She said that it was just to see if I had a the basic understanding of the air brake system. I have no buzzer for low air, just a light. Nothing was said.

As I pulled out she said "if you hop a curb with the rear tires just head on back because you failed". She also told me over exaggerate looking at my mirrors so that I can tell that you are checking them often. Drove thru a residential and made a series of turns and stops. No problems. Got back to the test center and she said to pull up to the front and back up until I tell you to stop. I backed in a straight line and stopped and she said that was it.

All in all not too bad of an experience, plus you can sign up and they will text you a time for the drivers test so you don't have to wait as long. The test site was in Lubbock.
Another reason not to go to Lubbock.
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:45 PM   #31

Texans Beware! Class B Drivers License

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee409 View Post
I was discussing with my coworkers here in Texas about this same lic. issue. One of the guys that rodeos a lot says..... His buddy's that pull big horse trailers with semi tractors don't have to get the non commercial cld. They simply put a decal on the tractor that say's " RV,not for hire". Now these big fifth wheel horse trailers have living quarters in them but the tractor is still way over the 26,000lb GVWR.
So can we just put a decal on our RV's stating "RV, not for hire" and be legal for our owne personal use?
Mikee

It depends on where the semi is tagged. 19 states require a non commercial class A/B license depending on weight. Texas is one of those states. By putting "RV not for hire" means he doesn't need a commercial CDL and don't have to stop at weight stations. You cannot put "RV not for hire" on a normal RV. Since you are in Texas you will need to take a written and a driving test to get a non commercial class B license.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSwift View Post
Not for the non-commercial Class B license. Depending on the location of the driving test you may be asked to either do or explain the pre-trip air brake test that makes sure all of the warning and emergency systems are working. There are several good videos on Youtube that show it in detail (they are for the commercial test but it is the same procedure).
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #33

Quote:
When I did my test I asked the examiner (as we walked to the coach) if she would like me to do an air brake test. She asked if I had already performed one today. I answered that I had, she said that's fine and didn't ask me to repeat it.

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did my test in Midland, TX. The examiner asked me to do an air brake test, she said it was for her safety and did not count towards the test. She offered to walk me through it if I didn't know how....she seemed surprised when I got out and chocked the rear wheels. Used to have a Class B Non-CDL when I was a volunteer fire fighter but had let it go. The test, written or driving is no big deal, they just want to know if you are comfortalbe and are relatively competent behind the wheel. At least that is what the examiner here in Midland told me. She said she was much more strict on full CDL examinees.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
In Texas, air brakes is not an endorsement like some states. It is a restriction and appears only on CDL's. The restriction code is "L" and does not appear on a Class A or B non-CDL. Texas Driver's License Restrictions and Endorsements

BTW, for those in the Austin area. I was told 3 weeks wait in Austin, not to mention having to drive into the congested area of Austin on N. Lamar. I was able to do a walk-in in Marble Falls and it is easy in / easy out, in an industrial area on the outskirts of town. They were fully aware of the non-CDL license there.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Not an easy thing too get ..When I moved too TX....Good luck too those getting their Class B
The word "to" is perfectly good; why waste an extra "o"? Never know when it might come in handy.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #37

iRV2 No Limits Club
I would contact the State Attorney General's office, point out the varying answers from different testing locations, and ask what are the correct answers. It seems to me the TX DPS testing locations need some serious reform and housecleaning.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #38
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Texans Beware! Class B Drivers License

Txdps website says: Class A license: Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:

Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more PROVIDED the GVWR of the vehicle(s) TOWED IS IN EXCESS of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C.

Class C license: ".....designed to carry 23 or less (fewer) passengers
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #39

I have read through numerous threads on the subject of the Class B non-Cdl license required for Texans they were some what helpful but I call DMV to get the straight skinny.

For the written test you need a copy of the Texas Commercial License Handbook. You need to study Chapters 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13 and 14 to prepare for the test. Then there is the Skills test: air brakes, driving, backing and possibly parallel parking.
They also said to bring SSI card or equivalent (depends on office.), current DL, proof of insurance and inspection sticker. Some have been asked about safety triangles and fire extinguisher(s), spare fuses, etc...
Marble Falls, Texas you can walkin to take written test at any time, you can also schedule an appointment and do it all in one day.
Harricat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRF View Post
Txdps website says: Class A license: Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:

Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more PROVIDED the GVWR of the vehicle(s) TOWED IS IN EXCESS of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C.

Class C license: ".....designed to carry 23 or less (fewer) passengers
And note that there's no mention of "air brakes". None whatsoever.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Driver.../dlClasses.htm

The issue of whether the vehicle has air brakes keeps coming up in these discussions, and I don't know why. It's not mentioned in the rules for non-CDL licenses, that I've seen thus far.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #41

All I can tell you is that at DPS in Garland (DFW) it was plain to me that if I did not perform the air brake check-EXACTLY by the book, that the test was over. Maybe you can find a place that does not require it. Good luck.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 05-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #42

If one were to have a vehicle for personal use (non-commercial), and if that vehicle's GVWR is 18,000 lbs, and if that vehicle tows a 5,000 lbs vehicle or trailer, then according to the table below only a Class C License is required. There is no mention of gasoline or diesel fuel or air brakes. Have I missed something?

Classification Description
Class A
Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:
  1. Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
  2. With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C
Class B
Authorizes an individual to drive:
  1. Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  2. A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver
  3. Any vehicle included in Class C
Class C
Authorizes an individual to drive any single vehicle:
  1. Or combination of vehicles that are not included in Class A or Class B
  2. With a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  3. Designed to transport 23 or less passengers including the driver; vehicles rated as 16-23 passengers including the driver require a Class C CDL unless exempt
Class M
Authorizes an individual to drive a motorcycle or moped.

Tags
driver