Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 05:17 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
All I can tell you is that at DPS in Garland (DFW) it was plain to me that if I did not perform the air brake check-EXACTLY by the book, that the test was over. Maybe you can find a place that does not require it.
I'm not looking for a place that does not require it. I simply pointed out that Texas licensing requirements aren't predicated on what type of brakes the vehicle has. They only specify weights.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #44

Practice test(s) for CDL for Texas class A/B non-CDL

Found this site while prepping for written test.

Free CDL Practice Tests - Online Permit Questions & Answers

Has knowledge practice test that could be useful in passing the Texas non-CDL Class A/B test and pass the skills test.
Harricat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
All I can tell you is that at DPS in Garland (DFW) it was plain to me that if I did not perform the air brake check-EXACTLY by the book, that the test was over. Maybe you can find a place that does not require it. Good luck.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Did you have to take the "air brake" segment of the written test (Sec 5)? I only had to take the test on Sec 2, of the CDL Handbook, yet no air brake restriction on my license. I took my written test in Austin and driving test in Marble Falls.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #46

I am taking the written test Friday in Marble Falls and I will schedule my driving test then.
Harricat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #47

I did take the air brake written. However the folks in Garland also gave me the car written as well. I took every test they had. When I told the lady it was the wrong test she said I didn't study chapter 3 well enough. After I passed I informed her no where in chapter 3 did it lay out the consequences for an underage driver getting a DUI. At that point she admitted it was the wrong test BUT AT LEAST I PASSED (her comment). I would not send anyone to this facility. The driving test was done with an Indian immigrant and was like talking to customer service in an Indian call center. I'm sure small town Texas will be much more pleasant. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Marble Falls Experience went like this.
Went to the office, filled in the forms for a change of class of license to class B and other redundant forms.
Took a computer test, all on the ONE Chapter at the back, no CDL questions, air brake, etc. I think it was 20 questions and need a 14 to pass, I got a 15. Know the material. A lot of them jumped off the page like color of clearance lights front and back and a tractor light question. One stumper was which vehicle type needed a class C fire extinguisher, it was a Taxi, go figure.
They print you a form good for 90 days which you have to come in with to take the test.
Driving test: Office opens at 8. Go in and sign up. First test at 2:00pm. Went to Walmart boondocking and watching TV for 2:40 test.
Went in the office with form, license and insurance ID. Go out to the vehicle and you sit in the driver chair while they go around and check ALL your lights, flashers, brake light, etc. Then into the RV, fire it up, get the brake pressure up to spec and follow directions. We drove a local loop road with right turns, then turned across traffic on 281 and back to the office, same loop with all left turns, back to the office and park and tells you how many point deductions. STOP before stop signs, not where you can see, then pull up. Don't creep up at a light. Two hands on the wheel,don't hit branches or get too close to the curb parking. We did no do any backup, maybe because I park with flat mirrors 1ft out coming in both times. No brake procedure test, this is not CDL. Told me 2-3 weeks for new license coming in the mail and a copy of a paper class B. Then 6 days later, my license was in the mailbox. I just did common sense driving, shuffle steering like a video I watched and that was it. If you take the written test at 8am and pass, you might be able to take the drive test. I didn't bring it just in case. He didn't ask me How I got there, think they just want to see you legal too.
I'm finally legal!!! Woo hoo!!!
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Marble Falls has a wide reputation for being RV friendly. Georgetown has also been pleasant to deal with in the past and the hours/appointment scheduling weren't quite so restrictive. Small town livin' has it's advantages!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #50

Navychop, just out of curiosity does your license look like a commercial license? Mine has commercial license at the top but down at the bottom it has a P after restrictions. On the back it explains the P-if CMV, only trans personal property inter. I'm still not convinced Garland didn't screw mine up. Thanks in advance.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, #51334. C9 CAT
Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Texans Beware! Class B Drivers License

I don't understand the confusion expressed about the license Class A/B/C definitions. Seem clear to me in the DPS handbook.

Someone described Marble Falls as "RV friendly". If you want an office that is friendly but also RV knowledgeable, try Livingston. It's home to Escapees, and I'd venture that 75% of the large vehicle road tests done there are in motorhomes.

DW and I did our licenses there in Jan '14. The lady told us clearly before the written test to study Ch 14, and gave us each a xerox copy of the section. Tests aced, no problems.

Road test comprised a rectangular course of several miles that started with a light check, took us through downtown turns, enter and exit a highway, railroad crossing, multilane commercial road with turn lanes, about 100 ft backing test, and return to DPS office. No air brake test, just observed use and operation.

The examiners in Livingston deal with RVs and RVers all day. They know what to look for. Our tests were straightforward and simple. I- and others I've spoken with-- suspect that the road test may become more probing if certain hesitancies or weaknesses are displayed.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post
Marble Falls Experience went like this.
Went to the office, filled in the forms for a change of class of license to class B and other redundant forms.
Took a computer test, all on the ONE Chapter at the back, no CDL questions, air brake, etc. I think it was 20 questions and need a 14 to pass, I got a 15. Know the material. A lot of them jumped off the page like color of clearance lights front and back and a tractor light question. One stumper was which vehicle type needed a class C fire extinguisher, it was a Taxi, go figure.
They print you a form good for 90 days which you have to come in with to take the test.
Driving test: Office opens at 8. Go in and sign up. First test at 2:00pm. Went to Walmart boondocking and watching TV for 2:40 test.
Went in the office with form, license and insurance ID. Go out to the vehicle and you sit in the driver chair while they go around and check ALL your lights, flashers, brake light, etc. Then into the RV, fire it up, get the brake pressure up to spec and follow directions. We drove a local loop road with right turns, then turned across traffic on 281 and back to the office, same loop with all left turns, back to the office and park and tells you how many point deductions. STOP before stop signs, not where you can see, then pull up. Don't creep up at a light. Two hands on the wheel,don't hit branches or get too close to the curb parking. We did no do any backup, maybe because I park with flat mirrors 1ft out coming in both times. No brake procedure test, this is not CDL. Told me 2-3 weeks for new license coming in the mail and a copy of a paper class B. Then 6 days later, my license was in the mailbox. I just did common sense driving, shuffle steering like a video I watched and that was it. If you take the written test at 8am and pass, you might be able to take the drive test. I didn't bring it just in case. He didn't ask me How I got there, think they just want to see you legal too.
I'm finally legal!!! Woo hoo!!!
Congrats. It sounds like the exact route of my driving test, only I sneaked into the Bluebonnet Cafe for breakfast before my driving test. I also drove myself to take the test. I have lived about 20 min from MF for the last 23 years and I never knew this office existed up until then. I'll never go to the DMV in Austin and "take a number" again.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Navychop, just out of curiosity does your license look like a commercial license? Mine has commercial license at the top but down at the bottom it has a P after restrictions. On the back it explains the P-if CMV, only trans personal property inter. I'm still not convinced Garland didn't screw mine up. Thanks in advance.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, #51334. C9 CAT
Mine does not say commercial license anywhere. It just says DRIVER LICENSE at the top, no restrictions.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Mine does not say commercial license anywhere. It just says DRIVER LICENSE at the top, no restrictions.

Thanks. How is the class B indicated?

Old 05-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Did any of the testers from the dps indicate the use of a spotter when backing up?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #56

Quote:
Thanks. How is the class B indicated?
Above the expiration date it lists the classes (B&M for me for class B and for motorcycle).
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver